Playoffs - Wild Card Round

Leader

6 minutes ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

John McKay was the Bucs first head coach when they became a franchise in the seventies...They went winless their first season and 0-26 before they won their first game....

I remember McKay being the first HC - but couldnt place the time - which now that you've done so is explainable. Though I was in Florida by that time - I wasnt in Tampa.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I remember McKay being the first HC - but couldnt place the time - which now that you've done so is explainable. Though I was in Florida by that time - I wasnt in Tampa.

McKay may have the greatest qoute (if it actually happened) of all time from a coach.

When asked by a reporter about his team's execution his alleged response was, "I'm in favor of it." 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Leader said:

I cant speak to whats in Dungy's head - but yes, GB & TB were in the same division and played twice a year. It became quite a rivalry - very one sided. GB regularly kicked TBs *** - which they set about to stop and change. It made for some fierce games.

I was in middle school and high school during Tampa's big Dungy run so I have a lot of fun memories with my Buccaneers friends. They hated us and so there was always some good trash talking. In fact, I still have a Dilfer jersey. After he was cut and went to Baltimore and won a super bowl in Tampa's stadium I went on ebay and bought a Bucs Dilfer jersey. That was a great day of class, lol... Good times.

Just because I'm bored, I checked the WC results from the last ten years to see how many Wild Card teams won on the road:

2019	3 / 4, Better WC: 1 / 1
2018	3 / 4, Better WC: 1 / 1
2017	2 / 4, Better WC: 0 / 0
2016	0 / 4, Better WC: 0 / 1
2015	4 / 4, Better WC: 1 / 1
2014	1 / 4, Better WC: 0 / 1
2013	3 / 4, Better WC: 1 / 1
2012	1 / 4, Better WC: 1 / 2
2011	0 / 4, Better WC: 0 / 2
2010	3 / 4, Better WC: 2 / 3

Overall 20 out of 40, or 50% for the mathematically impaired.

The second number is how many WCs won that had the better record - for example, in 2012 1 out of 2 means two Wild Cards had better record than their division winning opponents but only one won. The overall record in this case is that the WC won in 7 out of 13 games, including apparently easy games such as the 7/8/1 Panthers beating the 11/5 Cardinals in 2014.

I really don't know where I'm going with this, I don't mean to extrapolate this to 11/5 Tampa visiting 7/9 Washington and saying the game is 50/50, just trying to convey that playoff games are a lot harder to predict than they look.

Edited by Packer_ESP
  • Like 1

Man, I’m starting to think I would rather play the Buccaneers.

Aaron Donald against Rodgers and McVay against Pettine?

I’d rather go with the rematch of our biggest butt kicking I think.

i don’t know though.  I just currently have no feel for the Rams.  They’re the #1 scoring defense in the NFL though.

I think the best option is still Football Teams, Rams and Bears winning.

But then again if Football Teams pull the upset, I would rather the Seahawks win.

29 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

i don’t know though.  I just currently have no feel for the Rams.  They’re the #1 scoring defense in the NFL though.

But then again if Football Teams pull the upset, I would rather the Seahawks win.

Root for the Bears to win over the Saints and then let all the better teams beat each other up.

39 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I just watched a replay of the first half of the TB game. There's no way I want to play them again. Their DL man-handled our OL and that was with Bak. They added some clever blitzes and completely unraveled Rodgers. The 38-10 win was legit. 

Even the early 10-0 lead was based on Rodgers making plays after being flushed out of the pocket. The route started on a 3rd and 5. The Bucs blitzed #23 (S or slot CB?). Rodgers saw him coming and threw quickly to Adams who had run an out to first down marker on Rodger's left. It looked like TB set Rodgers up. The TB CB sat on the route and beat Adams to the first down marker, and made the pick 6. He seemed to know that with the blitz Rodgers wouldn't have time for a deep route. The second interception, two plays later, Rodgers was also under heavy pressure and tried to force a slant to Adams. The CB tipped the ball and the S I think intercepted it and returned it to the 2/3 yard line. TB scored on the next play and took the lead for good. Their DL beat Rodgers up all half. Gut wrenching reminder of how San Fran's line shut us down twice last year. And Brady is a way better QB than Garapollo. And since then they've added Antonio Brown. And their HC is no slouch either. And the Packers suck coming out of bye weeks. I'm praying for some sort of upset in the playoffs so we don't have to play TB. They are the team I fear the most. Seahawks, Rams, Bears, even Saints, bring 'em on. Just don't want to see TB.

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

You want to know what I fear even more than the Bucs in the divisional round: COVID. Bye weeks are always tricky with players having a little more time on their hands so we have to hope the Packers players come back healthy. 

By far the biggest concern. I'm glad Aaron addressed it in our locker room after the Bears win.

It's absolutely critical.

23 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

You want to know what I fear even more than the Bucs in the divisional round: COVID. Bye weeks are always tricky with players having a little more time on their hands so we have to hope the Packers players come back healthy. 

Luckily GB has fallen dramatically in infection rate since our first bye week, but yes it's extremely important.

Luckily we're a very get driven locker room with young guys who get it, I don't see an issue.

1 hour ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I just watched a replay of the first half of the TB game. There's no way I want to play them again. Their DL man-handled our OL and that was with Bak. They added some clever blitzes and completely unraveled Rodgers. The 38-10 win was legit. 

Our Oline always struggles in Overcast conditions(Humid, hot and wind). Remember last year chargers game. 

Its going to be different ball game in Lambeau. 

So, former ST coach Mike Priefer will be coaching the Browns on Sunday. Some may recall that he was suspended during the 2012 season for homophobic slurs, including making a statement to a player about "putting all the gays on an island and nuking it." 

Go Brownies.