2020 All Pro Team

Forge

1 hour ago, DannyB said:

wait seriously why did cole beasley make second team hahahaha!! Is somebody pulling a funny?

How are there FIVE on the second team? Was it a three way tie? So did each of the receivers in the 3 way tie get one vote apiece? Did the Buffalo writer throw in a Beasley vote for that? That is absurd.

Yes, three got one vote each. 

Cole Beasley was given a vote by Peter King. I wasn't shocked when I heard, I figured it was him. King has said in the past that he constructs these teams like he would on the field, which means his third receiver is slot guy and doesn't play outside. I guess this year his choice for that was beasley. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

Cole Beasley was given a vote by Peter King. I wasn't shocked when I heard, I figured it was him. King has said in the past that he constructs these teams like he would on the field, which means his third receiver is slot guy and doesn't play outside. I guess this year his choice for that was beasley. 

That's a really silly opinion. Hill and Hopkins outside with Diggs in the slot is better than any combination including Beasley.

• Like 1

Just now, jrry32 said:

That's a really silly opinion. Hill and Hopkins outside with Diggs in the slot is better than any combination including Beasley.

I think he's taking a step too far. I mean, I love Beasley, but he shouldn't be on anyone's all pro team for any reason 😂

I do appreciate the nuance, but damn, there should be some balance there too

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Forge said:

I feel like this is a fundamental misunderstanding at how roster construction works though, in a league with finite talent and finite money to pay that talent.

If a team could lineup three Davante Adamses at receiver, they would. Or DeAndre Hopkins, etc. If Buffalo could have Diggs on the outside and another Diggs in the slot rather than Beasley, they would. It's not that the top receivers can't play the slot, and are thus relegated to the outside, it's that they have the talent to succeed toward the boundaries and down the field, so teams then find what they can to fill the slot. And yes I understand one method is to find that undersized quick-not-fast sure handed guy to work the quicker paced underneath roots, and it certainly is a skillset, but most teams would still happily have a more prototypical #1 WR there. A lot of the top guys run a significant percentage of their routes from there anyways.

Even if he wanted a receiver that primarily plays slot, don't Allen Robinson and Keenan Allen typically play a LOT of slot routes? Just go in that direction.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

What a stupid way of doing things.

Minority opinion perhaps, but I don’t have a problem with the voting system. 2nd Team All-Pro isn’t a representative for 2nd (or all the way up to 6th) best in the league, it’s who came runner up to first - if that makes sense. Waller not being second team, for example, is fine because that doesn’t mean he didn’t have the second best year, it means that nobody thought he had the best - which seems to be correct. Same with MVP, having a great but unanimously not-best season doesn’t and shouldn’t earn you any votes (unless you’re Cole Beasley, Calvin Ridley, or Justin Jefferson).  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Nope.

I would say either of them making it is fair. They had very similar seasons. There is not way Howard is not making it with 10 picks. Sucks for Jaire that he got the short end of the stick but it is what it is

8 hours ago, DannyB said:

wait seriously why did cole beasley make second team hahahaha!! Is somebody pulling a funny?

How are there FIVE on the second team? Was it a three way tie? So did each of the receivers in the 3 way tie get one vote apiece? Did the Buffalo writer throw in a Beasley vote for that? That is absurd.

It was Peter King. He said his reasoning was that the 3rd WR spot should be for a slot only guy. Yes, he’s a moron. 

22 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

It was Peter King. He said his reasoning was that the 3rd WR spot should be for a slot only guy. Yes, he’s a moron. 

I didn’t realize media guys took the “Team” aspect of the All Pro Team literally until now.

Even with that being the case, most wouldn’t take Beasley over say Allen Robinson or Tyler Lockett as their slot WR on their team.

Edited by TitanSlim

7 hours ago, Forge said:

Is there no format or standard for these writers to adhere to, or is it based on their own interpretation? 

Can’t say I’m a big fan of the latter.

I thought any player receiving even 1 vote was technically 2nd team all pro. Cole Beasley got 1 total vote and the Bills official team media announced he was named 2nd team all-pro. Meanwhile, Leonard Williams and Blake Martinez got votes (2 and 1 respectively), but Giants media is not recognizing them as 2nd team all pro. Which one is right?