2021 Titans Offseason Thread

ttitansfan4life

13 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

God the more I watched this game vs the Ravens the more I just see the need for more people on defense that want to grind and get physical and pop people. I don't know if it's us turning into an offensive minded team that we lost sight of who we are but damn. We got absolutely manhandled. I don't know how that game was even close. They went straight bully mode on us. We need some meat up front that can push for negative plays on early downs.

It's time to move on from Vaccaro, dude was getting embarrassed in that game. The Lamar Jackson run and him just getting plowed by Dobbins.

I am worried about Byard also. He is another player that just looks soft out there. On top of that he struggles to stay with anyone of relevance in coverage. I also saw him make multiple terrible instinctive decisions all year. We can't even hang our hat on what was one of our best defensive players.

Simmons disappeared but I am willing to give him a pass bc literally all the pressure is on him.

We need to bring in multiple people. I am worried that defense is borderline is full rebuild mode, we need so many pieces to make it good enough to get us on a super bowl run. I believe we need a top 10 d to make this team work.

We need a complete culture change on defense. If we do not flip the script in this off-season, I will just not have the highest of expectations. No one has showed they can be a leader out there also. It is time for a lot of changes at alot of positions. Bring in some tough guys who want to grind. We need character on that side of the ball. It just isn't there.

Been saying the same thing

we need PAD POPPERS

we should’ve signed Leonard Floyd 

10 hours ago, twotonebluenation said:

https://titansized.com/2021/01/13/time-talk-taylor-lewans-contract-tennessee-titans/amp/1/

Interesting. Would be a good precedent to set by dad, and would help bring Jonnu or Davis back. 

Cutting some good players or restructuring some vets is absolutely necessary. And being able to restructure Lewan’s contract would go a long way towards shoring up the defense.

I said it in the other thread but Robinson needs a homerun of an offseason with the division potentially stepping up. Jags adding a QB will make their offense not be a complete joke and they have a ton of money to add to that roster.  If Vrabel doesn’t make a great hire at OC and bring in a real DC, we could be headed backwards. Colts had pieces of their defense but added Buckner and made that defense elite or close to it. Robinson needs to do the same. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I said it in the other thread but Robinson needs a homerun of an offseason with the division potentially stepping up. Jags adding a QB will make their offense not be a complete joke and they have a ton of money to add to that roster.  If Vrabel doesn’t make a great hire at OC and bring in a real DC, we could be headed backwards. Colts had pieces of their defense but added Buckner and made that defense elite or close to it. Robinson needs to do the same. 

This is honestly how I feel. This offseason feels like a crossroads for us.

We either make some key moves that turn us into an actual contender, or we fall off and 9-7 would be a dream.

We don't have much money to work with so we have to restructure and cut some money.

Need pass rushers, WR the most and most likely an OC and DC. That is a huge list to accomplish. I fear Vrabel will keep in house for the DC and is probably so stubborn he won't name one again.

Edited by Titan89
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I think that the 2020 offseason was an aberration.  Yeah, it's looking like Isaiah Wilson was a wasted pick, but Fulton flashed some talent, and could grow into a great player still.  Darrynton Evans looked good when he was on the field, so there's that.

Murchison didn't show much, but he was a project pick, and Chris Jackson played well for a rookie we got at the bottom of the sixth.  I think with a full offseason under their belt, they can be depth contributors.

Get a receiver early, spend two early picks on the front seven, then go BPA from there and you can do an awful lot for the defense.  Also, we fielded a quality offensive line without Wilson or Lewan.  If they're both back in playing shape, we could potentially get some value trading Quessenberry (or Wilson if he will recoup any of his value by not getting in trouble every five minutes) for a late pick or a depth guy.

But I think if you cut Humphries, and can renegotiate someone like Lewan or Byard, then we can scrounge together the money for some help where we need it.  That ought to at least be enough to re-sign Jonnu and maybe Daquan.  Maybe Clowney too, if he'll take a cheap deal.

2 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

on one hand, this is one vrabel connection i definitely wouldn't have been mad about. on the other, would it absolutely kill the guy to step outside his comfort zone? he's been perfectly capable of doing so on the offensive side of the ball.

6 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

on one hand, this is one vrabel connection i definitely wouldn't have been mad about. on the other, would it absolutely kill the guy to step outside his comfort zone? he's been perfectly capable of doing so on the offensive side of the ball.

I’m just happy we’re searching for a DC. It means he at least understands Bowen and him are garbage. Plus maybe Ryan’s can help do something with worthless Evans.

57 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I’m just happy we’re searching for a DC. It means he at least understands Bowen and him are garbage. Plus maybe Ryan’s can help do something with worthless Evans.

Agreed on the first part.

On the second, I'll counter a little bit.  Evans had a crap season, but remember the voting for the best Titans players, and how he was like 10th?  I feel confident Evans will be better next season.  Good enough to re-sign?  Eh, maybe not, but better than this year.

Honestly, between the offseason hurting defenses around the NFL, our free agent pass rushers both busting early and hard, and Byard and Evans just not playing up to their level, our defense may not be as bad as we think it is.

We played almost all season without one of our two good corners, we essentially lost two expected starters on the DL/Edge early on, Brown went down, and Byard had a bad season.

Take any defense and make it lose the equivalent of four starters early on and they'll have trouble, even without their best player having an off year.  Do that to a mediocre defense and it's crippling.

I think we can get this defense back to the middle of the pack next season without any drastic shifts.

2 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Well, it’s outside of the building. Austin’s last few years as a DC aren’t great though.

wouldn't be thrilled with austin but honestly i'm just kind of relieved to know that we're looking for a defensive coordinator lol