Around the NFL - PLAYOFFS?

Texas_OutLaw7

Just now, D82 said:

Guess it just depends on how you view Wentz.

I know this term is over used, but what a dumpster fire.    SB winning coach bye,  "Franchise QB"  bye,   cap space bye.   Wonder if they'll look to move Kelce,  Graham,  Ertz for draft capital.  They should certainly try to move down from #6 and get additional picks,  unless they are taking a qb there.

I think this is a good return for Philly, especially in comparison to what the Rams got for Goff (practically a salary dump). Wentz was so, so ****ing bad last year. Dude led the league in INTs and sacks taken without even starting every game. It's gonna be a while before we see a QB stink up the joint to that extent again.

The $34M in dead cap is an anchor, they probably have no choice but to "tank" (to the degree an NFL team can) next year. I don't think that'd upset me as a fan, though. I think more teams should be operating in cycles and willing to endure dead money Armageddon seasons where they just eat $50M+ and free up the sheet for the coming years. The Bills did this in 2017 when Beane and McDermott took over, and look where they are now.

Edited by matt79511

2 hours ago, D82 said:

Maybe Reich can help Wentz recapture some of that 2017 form. 

I think Reich is a great coach and mentor.  Indy has a solid OL as well.  There were far worse places for Wentz to land.  I won't be surprised if Indy and Reich resurrect Wentz's career.

Best OL in football, solid run game, 3 really good QB coaches, couple of good WRs, and about $30m in cap space still. This is about as ideal of a landing spot as Wentz is going to get. Curious to see how it pans out. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Wentz to play more in line with what we seen in 2017 tbh. 

6 hours ago, matt79511 said:

I think this is a good return for Philly, especially in comparison to what the Rams got for Goff (practically a salary dump). Wentz was so, so ****ing bad last year. Dude led the league in INTs and sacks taken without even starting every game. It's gonna be a while before we see a QB stink up the joint to that extent again.

The $34M in dead cap is an anchor, they probably have no choice but to "tank" (to the degree an NFL team can) next year. I don't think that'd upset me as a fan, though. I think more teams should be operating in cycles and willing to endure dead money Armageddon seasons where they just eat $50M+ and free up the sheet for the coming years. The Bills did this in 2017 when Beane and McDermott took over, and look where they are now.

It will hurt Philly for 1 year.  Then they will benefit from being out of the salary cap he’ll they’re in and from Carson’s stupid contract extension.  

20 hours ago, D82 said:

Guess it just depends on how you view Wentz.

Well, while @Matts4313 and I have been yelling from the rooftops for years that Wentz wasn’t very good (and Matts started yelling it sooner than I did), Philly still got fleeced. Not just because the compensation was minimal due to the nonexistent trade market for him, but because they also had to eat $33.8 million just to unload him. From my perspective, that factors into the overall equation because it impacts the team in some form. 

13 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

It will hurt Philly for 1 year.  Then they will benefit from being out of the salary cap he’ll they’re in and from Carson’s stupid contract extension.  

It may resonate for longer than that if they don’t figure out the QB position. I have even less confidence in Hurts than I did in Wentz. In fact, I think that Hurts is far and away the worst QB in the division, and Washington doesn’t even have a QB!

3 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

It may resonate for longer than that if they don’t figure out the QB position. I have even less confidence in Hurts than I did in Wentz. In fact, I think that Hurts is far and away the worst QB in the division, and Washington doesn’t even have a QB!

So do the Eagles sign a veteran QB to compete with Hurts, or if a QB slides to them do they pull the trigger on one at #6?  I'm not in the feelings business.  Personally if a QB I like is there at 6 I pull the trigger.  Hurts can cry me a river.

16 minutes ago, Northland said:

So do the Eagles sign a veteran QB to compete with Hurts, or if a QB slides to them do they pull the trigger on one at #6?  I'm not in the feelings business.  Personally if a QB I like is there at 6 I pull the trigger.  Hurts can cry me a river.

I agree. If a QB is there at 6, I draft him and I don’t think twice about it. Needless to say, here’s to hoping that Philly drafts Micah Parsons.

Edited by plan9misfit

23 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

I agree. If a QB is there at 6, I draft him and I don’t think twice about it. Needless to say, here’s to hoping that Philly drafts Micah Parsons.

Here's hoping they don't take a CB.  If they trade Ertz they may go Pitts at 6.  High for a TE but he supposed to be something else.

3 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Well, while @Matts4313 and I have been yelling from the rooftops for years that Wentz wasn’t very good (and Matts started yelling it sooner than I did), Philly still got fleeced. Not just because the compensation was minimal due to the nonexistent trade market for him, but because they also had to eat $33.8 million just to unload him. From my perspective, that factors into the overall equation because it impacts the team in some form. 

Plan I think you will see Wentz flourish in Indy.  Solid HC, solid staff, great OL and they can run the ball.  Wentz regressed n Philly big time, but it's been revealed he had a toxic relationship with Pederson, and he really got beat up physically.  I'll put it this way if he can't make it work in Indy I don't know if he can be resurrected.  I can't think of a better spot for him than the Colts.