Jaguars hiring Urban Meyer as HC

RaidersAreOne

I have no problem with Meyer for a few reasons. The first is the most important...I do really think that he will be a huge net positive in the development of Trevor Lawrence. And honestly, that may be all that really matters. If within the first three years Trevor Lawrence becomes that QB that think that he will become...the Jags will very likely have long-term success. If Meyer flakes out a few years from now, that is fine as long as Trevor Lawrence is an elite franchise QB...there will be another great coaching candidate knocking down the door to be the Jags head coach.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Jacksonville players will love Urban. He never talks down to guys like a Saban or Spurrier. This is just my opinion, but I’d dedicate all of my resources to the offense 1 offseason. Then start building a well rounded team.

The nice thing is that I don't think they will even need to do that much.  I've been doing some mock drafts and the offense already has some decent pieces assembled.  They will obviously have the QB, and their running back (Robinson), was an OROY nominee last year.  In addition, they have two very capable receivers in Chark and Shenault.  If they resign their current LT, the rest should be fairly easy.  All they need is:

Through the draft:
Right guard.
Tight end.
3rd receiving option (maybe a speed guy).

Through free agency:
A good, LT with some experience (he may already be on the roster).
An extra running back to occasionally spell Robinson. 

With the above additions, they should be able to compete with anyone in the league from a talent standpoint on offense.  Their defense definitely needs more help.

Edited by Uncle Buck

2 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

I'm honestly shocked.  A Jags fan mentioned this weeks ago and I said that Meyer's wife would never let it happen, due to him getting caught with coeds while at UF.  I guess $12 mill a year and no coeds changed her mind. 

That would explain the heart condition.  xD

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

xD  My happiness may come from a different source, but I'm still happy because:

EjhpdRA.jpg

Edit:  I should also note that I cheered a team on to 30 playoff losses (including 4 Super Bowls and 6 NFCCG losses) with no championships to show for it over the last 50 years.  It's not like I haven't paid my dues in other ways as a football fan.  There is no doubt that long time Jaguars fans have paid their dues and deserve some good things to happen to them.  At the same time, the Minnesota Vikings have been a source of WAY more heartbreak for me over the years than the Timberwolves have with their perennial losing.  Both situations are bad.

I don't think you have anything on the life of a Lions fan.  At least you saw some Super Bowls, I have seen 1 playoff win in my life, as have people twice my age.  I've seen the best RB and one of the most talented WRs retire early because they can't stomach playing for this organization.  I have sat through Matt Millen being GM for 8 losing season without being fired.  Matt Stafford is the greatest QB to ever wear a Lions uniform and he can't win a playoff game if he can even lead the team to one.  

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't think you have anything on the life of a Lions fan.  At least you saw some Super Bowls, I have seen 1 playoff win in my life, as have people twice my age.  

I won't argue with you on that one, Slim.  I think it's a different kind of pain.  There is no doubt that it takes a special kind of loyalty to keep coming back for more with a team like the Lions have been.  You deserve a ton of credit for that.

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

I won't argue with you on that one, Slim.  I think it's a different kind of pain.  There is no doubt that it takes a special kind of loyalty to keep coming back for more with a team like the Lions have been.  You deserve a ton of credit for that.  The reason I brought up the Timberwolves is that they have been about as successful as the Lions have been.  In my experience, it has just been easy to ignore them because there is nothing to get excited about. 

I guess it's like going to a high school with nothing but girls who look like Rosie O'Donnell, versus going to a school with huge number of total hotties that are nothing but teases.  :D

9 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't think you have anything on the life of a Lions fan.  At least you saw some Super Bowls, I have seen 1 playoff win in my life, as have people twice my age.  I've seen the best RB and one of the most talented WRs retire early because they can't stomach playing for this organization.  I have sat through Matt Millen being GM for 8 losing season without being fired.  Matt Stafford is the greatest QB to ever wear a Lions uniform and he can't win a playoff game if he can even lead the team to one.  

Yeah, I feel your pain.  As a fan of a division rival, I've had a front row seat to the carnage you guys are going through.  What a shame it was that they couldn't have gone deeper into the playoffs when you had Barry and then Calvin.  It's incredible, because the Lions seem to have a Top 10 pick in the draft almost every year.  You've had access to talent, but your ownership, management, and coaching just can't seem to change the culture.  What do you think the answer is?

20 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Yeah, I feel your pain.  As a fan of a division rival, I've had a front row seat to the carnage you guys are going through.  What a shame it was that they couldn't have gone deeper into the playoffs when you had Barry and then Calvin.  It's incredible, because the Lions seem to have a Top 10 pick in the draft almost every year.  You've had access to talent, but your ownership, management, and coaching just can't seem to change the culture.  What do you think the answer is?

Has to start at the top.  The Fords are the common denominator through all of the turmoil.  I am not sure they have to sell the team, but put someone at the top that knows what they are doing and allow them to restructure the org chart as needed.  There can't be this many bad GMs, coaches, players, etc.  At some point you have to get lucky unless the structure of the organization is truly that bad.  I look at it like we are the LA Clippers before Balmer bought them. Sterling was rich and treated ownership as a status symbol and really didn't care if they won as long as he made money.  Ballmer comes in and boom, they are competing in the playoffs every year.  Even closer to home, when Illitch bought the Wings and Tigers, he cared about winning and how important it was to his brand, and both teams had great stretches.  He dies and his kids obviously don't share the same passion and we are bottom dwellers.  We need ownership that cares and is willing to try different things to succeed instead of just rinse, wash, repeat.  We have/had hope that the next generation of Fords might care, but as long as they keep Rod Wood, a CEO from the Ford Charities, as President, it shows that their friends are more important than success. 

• Like 1