Jaguars hiring Urban Meyer as HC

RaidersAreOne

45 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

If Trent Baalke is going to be their GM...that's not good. Don't be surprised when homie only drafts injury-plagued dudes or even worse, when "leaks" start surfacing every week regarding drama in the locker room. 

Baalke will be a glorified scout. This is Urban’s team.

11 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

He got stressed at a college level when losing a single game could knock you out of championship contention AND you're recruiting every single day of the year and competing against other top programs every day for said recruits?

I'm not saying the NFL won't be stressful. But I'm sure he has done plenty of research and is well aware of what its going to take.

That fine if you feel that way. I just don't see how you're comparing one of the winningest college HCs who's built up multiple programs to a hot young OC who was meh/non existent 2-3 yrs ago.

How many of the bolded have came into the NFL and flaked because it's an entirely different animal? I don't know how anyone can sit here and say "Hey, he was a winning college coach and thus that should translate really well to the NFL and who cares if the man retired so many times in his collegiate coaching career, he won't do that here. He had to have done his research before coming" and then look at what Daboll has been able to do for Josh Allen and not say "Hey, that's the kind of guy I'd like to pair with what is widely is considered the best QB to come out since Luck" all because he was doing doing it 3-4 years ago. 

My opinion is that Daboll or Arthur Smith provide you with a coaching option that has the possibility to have sustainability over Trevor Lawrence's career, whereas Coach Meyer makes me feel a little more skeptical and it's DEFINITELY his continuous walking away from programs due to the stress it brought to him when it came down to it, that makes me feel that way. I personally just don't feel as I said AT THIS MOMENT that it was the right hire. 

Sorry, I just can't get on board with it, despite his winning record as a college coach. The fact is, the guy retired many due to health concerns, not once, not twice but a third time even after when he came back he stated that he had a "Balance of life contract" in place to help alleviate the stress. You can put that the Zach Smith controversy that was going on, but then you pair that with the fact that during his stint at FL he had A TON and I mean literally A TON of players getting arrested for off the field issues, it really brings you to question his ability to manage. 

I'm sorry that I'm not a fan of the hire and just can't be excited for this. I'm sure Jacksonville fans are hopeful and they should be, it's their team. However, from an outsider perspective, I just can't get behind this hire that's just my opinion. Doesn't mean it's the right one and there's certainly things that Meyer has done in his career that could easily make me eat crow here, but it's just not a hire I would have made personally and that very well could be why I'm just a fan who sits at home and watches the games on Sunday.

27 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

How many of the bolded have came into the NFL and flaked because it's an entirely different animal? I don't know how anyone can sit here and say "Hey, he was a winning college coach and thus that should translate really well to the NFL and who cares if the man retired so many times in his collegiate coaching career, he won't do that here. He had to have done his research before coming" and then look at what Daboll has been able to do for Josh Allen and not say "Hey, that's the kind of guy I'd like to pair with what is widely is considered the best QB to come out since Luck" all because he was doing doing it 3-4 years ago. 

My opinion is that Daboll or Arthur Smith provide you with a coaching option that has the possibility to have sustainability over Trevor Lawrence's career, whereas Coach Meyer makes me feel a little more skeptical and it's DEFINITELY his continuous walking away from programs due to the stress it brought to him when it came down to it, that makes me feel that way. I personally just don't feel as I said AT THIS MOMENT that it was the right hire. 

Sorry, I just can't get on board with it, despite his winning record as a college coach. The fact is, the guy retired many due to health concerns, not once, not twice but a third time even after when he came back he stated that he had a "Balance of life contract" in place to help alleviate the stress. You can put that the Zach Smith controversy that was going on, but then you pair that with the fact that during his stint at FL he had A TON and I mean literally A TON of players getting arrested for off the field issues, it really brings you to question his ability to manage. 

I'm sorry that I'm not a fan of the hire and just can't be excited for this. I'm sure Jacksonville fans are hopeful and they should be, it's their team. However, from an outsider perspective, I just can't get behind this hire that's just my opinion. Doesn't mean it's the right one and there's certainly things that Meyer has done in his career that could easily make me eat crow here, but it's just not a hire I would have made personally and that very well could be why I'm just a fan who sits at home and watches the games on Sunday.

Fwiw, I don't care what others think. I like the hire and am well aware that there's going to be skepticism. I'm disagreeing/arguing with the reasoning you're providing.

Urban has built up 4 different college programs, is the 3rd winningest college coach of all time, and is coming into the NFL when its more like the college game then ever before. He isn't the same as a lot of guys you're comparing, nor is the eras of those guys to Meyer the same, nor is the situation Meyer is coming into the same as they had. Having a QB is the biggest trump card for a HC and something not many (if any) of the failed coaches you can bring up who tried to make the jump had the luxury of having.

He very well may flop. But if someone is going to argue with me that Arthur Smith or another coordinator is a better/safer hire than I'm sorry, but I find that to be completely wild.

Just going to bite my tongue and say agree to disagree on this one.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Fwiw, I don't care what others think. I like the hire and am well aware that there's going to be skepticism. I'm disagreeing/arguing with the reasoning you're providing.

Urban has built up 4 different college programs, is the 3rd winningest college coach of all time, and is coming into the NFL when its more like the college game then ever before. He isn't the same as a lot of guys you're comparing, nor is the eras of those guys to Meyer the same, nor is the situation Meyer is coming into the same as they had. Having a likely good QB is the biggest trump card for a HC and something not many (if any) of the failed coaches you can bring up who tried to make the jump had the luxury of having.

He very well may flop. But if someone is going to argue with me that Arthur Smith or another coordinator is a better/safer hire than I'm sorry, but I find that to be completely wild.

Just going to bite my tongue and say agree to disagree on this one.

You bring up many valid points, I'm not disagreeing that he has the ability to do exactly what you think he may do for your franchise. I'm just saying that Urban Meyer has A LOT of red flags (Some of which I have highlighted in my posts). Do I think those red flags will cause him to fail in the NFL? To be honest? I don't know, but what I can say is that I just personally believe watching Arthur Smith transform Tanny and Daboll transform Josh Allen, weighs heavier on the positive side then anything Meyer did in college, when you pair it with the red flags that he presented as well during his collegiate coaching career. That's all. 

For your sake, I hope I do eat crow on this one. I have no doubts about Trevor Lawrence, and I truly do hope that Meyer can be that guy for you guys. Certainly a deserving fan base. I just have my doubts. Wish ya'll the best of luck with the hire though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

You bring up many valid points, I'm not disagreeing that he has the ability to do exactly what you think he may do for your franchise. I'm just saying that Urban Meyer has A LOT of red flags (Some of which I have highlighted in my posts). Do I think those red flags will cause him to fail in the NFL? To be honest? I don't know, but what I can say is that I just personally believe watching Arthur Smith transform Tanny and Daboll transform Josh Allen, weighs heavier on the positive side then anything Meyer did in college, when you pair it with the red flags that he presented as well during his collegiate coaching career. That's all. 

For your sake, I hope I do eat crow on this one. I have no doubts about Trevor Lawrence, and I truly do hope that Meyer can be that guy for you guys. Certainly a deserving fan base. I just have my doubts. Wish ya'll the best of luck with the hire though.

If I thought Arthur Smith transformed Tannehill who was a solid QB prior or knew Daboll (and not anyone else) was the sole reason for Allen's development than I could at least comprehend being in love with them.

But even if both of the above ststements were valid, being a HC takes a whole hell of a lot more to be successful than being good with the QB position. When you take a look at Urban getting the most out of literally every QB in college/fitting a scheme around the strengths of each one, with some super uninspiring names outside of Tebow and Alex Smith, I'm again at a loss for why none of that (or winning championships, re-eatablishing programs who fell off in UF or OSU prior to him arriving, or turned whatever programs like Utah and Bowling Green into winners, doesn't compare. But, alas...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

If I thought Arthur Smith transformed Tannehill who was a solid QB prior or knew Daboll (and not anyone else) was the sole reason for Allen's development than I could at least comprehend being in love with them.

But even if both of the above ststements were valid, being a HC takes a whole hell of a lot more to be successful than being good with the QB position. When you take a look at Urban getting the most out of literally every QB in college/fitting a scheme around the strengths of each one, with some super uninspiring names outside of Tebow and Alex Smith, I'm again at a loss for why none of that (or winning championships, re-eatablishing programs who fell off in UF or OSU prior to him arriving, or turned whatever programs like Utah and Bowling Green into winners, doesn't compare. But, alas...

Let me make this very clear. I'm not disagreeing that Urban Meyer has the potential to be what you think he may be and have repeatedly in my posts stated that he has the ability to very well make me eat crow on anything I said. I'm just stating the red flags of the Zach Smith situation,  the abundances of arrests of his players while coaching FL, his continuous retirements due to stress when the 3rd time he came back he even stated publicly he had a balance of life contract to help alleviate that and yet still retired. It gives me HUGE pause for concern of not only his management capabilities but his commitment to actually coaching. 

Now again, I'm not saying there's no way on gods green earth that this man can come in and turn the Jaguars into a competing team, year in and year out. I'm not saying that at all. The possibility is ABSOLUTELY there, I'm just saying everything I've highlighted gives me more pause for concern then hiring a potential up and coming OC into the same role would.

9 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Let me make this very clear. I'm not disagreeing that Urban Meyer has the potential to be what you think he may be and have repeatedly in my posts stated that he has the ability to very well make me eat crow on anything I said. I'm just stating the red flags of the Zach Smith situation,  the abundances of arrests of his players while coaching FL, his continuous retirements due to stress when the 3rd time he came back he even stated publicly he had a balance of life contract to help alleviate that and yet still retired. It gives me HUGE pause for concern of not only his management capabilities but his commitment to actually coaching. 

Now again, I'm not saying there's no way on gods green earth that this man can come in and turn the Jaguars into a competing team, year in and year out. I'm not saying that at all. The possibility is ABSOLUTELY there, I'm just saying everything I've highlighted gives me more pause for concern then hiring a potential up and coming OC into the same role would.

Guess there's just a disagreement on what is a bigger cause for concern then. A guy who's shown he can adapt to his personnel, run a big time college program, delegate to his coaches/people within program to do their jobs, win championships/prove to turn around every program he's been at (college or not, that's telling), etc. is infinitely more impressive than what Arthur Smith or Brian Daboll has shown me at any point in their careers.

Does that mean Urban will be undoubtedly better? No. But if we're talking about risk...

Never said there wasn't red flags with Urban. But he's not shaping young minds anymore. This is all about football now.

I'm on the fence. Highly successful college coaches have flopped in the pros before. Saban, Spurrier, Petrino, you can go on and on. But Jimmy Johnson, Pete Carroll, and Bill Walsh all made it, so who knows?

I guess the most important thing won't be where Meyer coached in the past, but how he motivates and connects with the players. And since I know very little about him, I'm looking forward to his first press conference.

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

If Trent Baalke is going to be their GM...that's not good. Don't be surprised when homie only drafts injury-plagued dudes or even worse, when "leaks" start surfacing every week regarding drama in the locker room. 

Had to read this twice.  Thought you were describing Howie Roseman? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

I guess the most important thing won't be where Meyer coached in the past, but how he motivates and connects with the players. And since I know very little about him, I'm looking forward to his first press conference.

Building a culture and working to get guys to buy in is a huge thing for him.

You need to believe it. You need to sell it. You need to demand it.

• Like 1