Steelers sign QB Dwayne Haskins

RaidersAreOne

8 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm pretty meh on it. He needed more structure than WFT gave him. He needed to grow up a lot faster than he did. Maybe him getting cut will wake him up, maybe not. He at least has potential, which Josh Dobbs has continually proven not to have. Anyone who says that Ben is going to pass on all his knowledge to Haskins, I wouldn't. Ben isn't a teacher. He never has been. Also, I'm not sure he's the dude you want guiding Haskins lol

What? Josh Dobbs doesn’t have any potential? But I was told by VanS that he was elite!

• Like 5

On 1/21/2021 at 11:05 PM, CKSteeler said:

And you are completely wrong. The Steelers likely extend him to lower the cap hit. They aren't cutting him.

As for Haskins, I'd rather have Josh Dobbs back. I have no faith he's going to turn things around.

I like Dobbs and I would  take him back over Haskins too, but only because Dobbs is a high character guy and an asset on the sidelines and in the locker room.....but not because he can provide much more than Haskins on the field.

However, at this point, Dobbs will probably cost more than Haskins, which is why we are likely signing him.      Dobbs should retire young and get into coaching IMO.    Thats where he will excel IMO. 

Kind of an odd, though I guess not surprising, reaction here. 

Pittsburgh just added a legitimately talented and still very young QB for nothing but a totally non-guaranteed $850k one year deal. There’s no way that could be considered a bad deal. It’s literally zero-risk, and it carries at least the hope of some reward. 

As @lavar703 said earlier in the thread, he’s not a bad kid. He’s immature, and he was obviously totally unequipped to come back home and handle being rich and famous amongst so many people who knew him. But it’s not like he’s some locker room cancer or anything. It’s not even a situation where he’s super lazy — his study habits have obviously not met the standard of an NFL QB, but he completely transformed his body this past offseason, so he’s not afraid or unwilling to work at things. 

From a football standpoint, he’s a long way from being a good QB. Obviously. But for anyone who says there’s no chance for this guy, I’d challenge you to watch the last couple games of his rookie season before he got hurt. He was absolutely outstanding. Genuinely looked like a future star. Of course it all came crashing back to earth this year, but the ability is in there. 

Bottom line, he’s a long way off. He needs work off the field on his habits/commitment. He needs work between the ears, especially in his abilities before the snap. He needs work on his mechanics. The most likely outcome is that it never clicks for him. But a guy that young, with that arm, getting signed for almost literally nothing in January? That’s well worth the (zero) risk they’re taking. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 4:32 PM, 43M said:

Dobbs should retire young and get into coaching IMO.  

He's probably going to be the first person on Mars, or the CEO of Lockheed Martin. He's destined for so much more than football after his playing career is over.

• Like 2

Seeing as they run similar passing concepts as tOSU, has twice as many passing weapons than what he has in Washington, have a guy what Haskins can connect to in Tomlin, and has a pretty good arm talent. This could quietly be a good move for those guys, but naturally I know most will be pessimistic about it. 

And to say Josh Dobbs is better than Haskins is pretty laughable, (A guy who don't even have an NFL win under his belt)

On 1/22/2021 at 1:30 AM, Kirill said:

I don't understand this signing. The guy is a full blown scrub and just not somebody I would want in my building.

True. 

I didn’t like the idea of it just like I didn’t like the idea of us signing Michael Vick because it was just too controversial at the time.

But, there’s a huge difference in having somebody like this on the sideline versus actually on the field as a starter.  

34 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Pretty wild the rams gave up 2 1sts for Stafford, some team is gonna give up more for Watson and Rodgers, but the Steelers got Haskins for free 

It's not wild, it's extremely wild. Some are just smarter than others. My idiot neighbor just spent 32k on a car. I got one for $1700. I'm just waiting on this natural election thing to work out like Charles Dickens talked about, once the dumb people die out us smartier folks will rule.