Is Rodgers done in GB?

rocky_rams

1 hour ago, Howler said:

Pretty crazy to think that Rodgers threw 44 Tds with that supporting cast. Granted, the running game opened everything up. Adams isn't a top 5 WR, but his numbers are amplified by Rodgers high trust level with him. Lazard UDFA, Tonyan UDFA. ESB 6th Round. MVS 5th Round. That's a lot of JAGS.

On the OL, Wagner and Turner were backstop additions. Though Jenkins (Jones as well if we are speaking recent) may the one impact offensive player they have drafted of late. 

Collectively, that's far from a great unit. 

Packers neglected the offensive side of the ball for quite some time, by wasting enormous draft capital on the the defensive backfield. 

Stopped reading here. Couldn't imagine anything else you said would have any validation after that. 

• Like 6

He's an undeniably great QB and unless something drastically changes, he probably has a couple more seasons of high level play left for himself. 

From my perspective, he should move on for a number of reasons:

Green Bay has already started planning for the long term without him. 

They haven't heeded his calls for more weapons. Adams is fantastic. But Lazard, MVS, St. Brown, Tonyan? Really? They have varying levels of potential, but Rodgers absolutely elevates all of them. Testament to his talent, testament to Green Bay not doing him any favors. First it was D, now it's supporting cast. 

With the game on the line, Matt LaFleur took the ball out of Rodgers' hands and caved for a FG. I have to imagine that caused a bit of a rift even if unspoken, regardless of how well they get along. 

2 straight NFC championship games, and in both the lack of weapons hurt. Also, seems like the O-line depth has been a longstanding problem on that note. You know Rodgers has to be thinking "I could've gone to 2 Superbowls in 2 years and might've won them both. Wouldn't it be nice if I wasn't carrying this team the entire way kicking and screaming?" and he wouldn't really be wrong. 

Dude should've had at least 4 Superbowl appearances by now, if not more. 

Given all that, if I'm Rodgers, I'm cool playing elsewhere and chasing the ring. Manning had pretty good success with Denver (got to 2 quick Superbowls and won a 2nd ring) outside of running into the Legion of Boom in one Superbowl and the Ravens Defense of Destiny in the 2012 playoffs. I think Rodgers has more years to offer a team than Manning could have foreseen himself having in Denver. 

Looking around the league, San Francisco, New Orleans, LA Rams (other than Goff's contract status) Pittsburgh if Roethlisberger leaves, Indianapolis, New England?, and Miami if they're really not sold on Tua, are all teams he could sniff out with a reasonable shot at putting that team over the top. Even some up and coming teams like Carolina, Las Vegas, Houston if Watson checks out, and maybe Washington could also be viable options to varying degrees. So it's not like suitors wouldn't be clamoring for him. 

Personally, I think Rodgers in San Francisco would be a beautiful mix of skills, talent, coaching, and poetic justice. 

21 hours ago, TENINCH said:

It is time for his transition to Minnesota. 😈

He'll be back unless doesn't want to be. Green Bay would be stupid to let him go and his team would be pissed.

If I hadn't already jumped ship, that certainly would have been enough to push me overboard.  Favre was fine, but Rodgers in purple?  No way.  We took Favre off their hands and the Cheeheads almost lost their minds.  Seeing Rodgers in Chicago might just be enough to finish the job, so it's Rodgers to 'da Bears! 

Edited by Uncle Buck

21 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

There is speculation that Rodgers may not be back in Green Bay. 

will he go to another team, or is he gonna go for one more run with the Pack? 

or....does he call it quits after an MVP campaign?

It's literally talking heads looking for clicks.  The only way Rodgers it out of Green Bay this offseason is if Rodgers asks to be traded.

49 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

They haven't heeded his calls for more weapons. Adams is fantastic. But Lazard, MVS, St. Brown, Tonyan? Really? They have varying levels of potential, but Rodgers absolutely elevates all of them. Testament to his talent, testament to Green Bay not doing him any favors. First it was D, now it's supporting cast. 

The Packers had the #1 offense this year despite his "mediocre" receiving corps.  We've seen Tom Brady make a career of it with "mediocre" receivers.

• Like 1

Just FYI

Favre had to look at Rodgers in the QB room for 3 years.

Joe Montana had to look at Steve Young in the QB room for 4 years

John Elway had to look at Tommy Maddox for 2 years.

Drew Brees had to look at Philip Rivers in the QB room for 2 years, and Brees was only 25 when they drafted Rivers.

Brady had to look at Jimmy G for 3 years

54 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The Packers had the #1 offense this year despite his "mediocre" receiving corps.  We've seen Tom Brady make a career of it with "mediocre" receivers.

Be that as it may, it's no secret Rodgers has been pining for better receivers for a while now. Rodgers hasn't had a Belichick level coach nor defense to help him ever reach Brady levels. 

That the Packers had the offense they did with mediocre receivers is a testament to Rodgers' talent. It's highly unlikely that Green Bay puts emphasis on fixing that (they haven't thus far), so I could see Rodgers being cool taking his undeniable talent somewhere willing to build around him in a way like Tampa laid the red carpet out for Brady to go all in. 

Rodgers made one heck of a career out of mediocre receiving corps. The biggest difference on the field is Green Bay's defenses have rarely been Patriots level and McCarthy couldn't sniff the hoodie's pits. So...why should he stick around? Not saying he'll bolt, but I can totally see why he would consider it. He knows there's no reason he should only have 1 ring, much less 1 appearance. And Green Bay's brass doesn't seem particularly interested in making it easier for him to fix that.

1 minute ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Not sure Rodgers would be patient waiting for Belichick to build a winner around him.....

The Patriots roster isn't great right now, but Brady has taken ones with similar talent levels on deep playoff runs. 

Plus, they have a buttload of cap space to use going into next year.