Is Rodgers done in GB?

rocky_rams

I don’t think there is a team with more brutal playoff losses than GB the last twenty five years. Just God awful NFCC record overall with Farve and Rogers.... starting from ‘97 on. But you have two Championships at the same time. It’s not Cleveland/Marty bad. The only other club that might be worse is San Fran. No championships to boot. 

Edited by WheatieMan

6 hours ago, DannyB said:

The thing about the Packers defense is that you really need to watch it to understand just how brutal it is. If you go back and look over the years, I'm sure the season ending bulk numbers won't look THAT bad. Maybe a few years will, and most are gonna be in the bottom half or bottom third of the league, but that's not the story.

It's how un-clutch the defense is. It's how easily the crumble at the worst possible moments. In seasons, games, or even single drives. It's a rich Packers tradition that goes back before Rodgers. Young to Owens in the playoffs, 4th and 26 from the Eagles. Then when Rodgers came, coughing up multiple 4th quarter leads time after time in the 2008 season, Big Ben marching down the field in the regular season in '09, letting Arizona hang a 40-burger in the playoffs in '09 when Rodgers is putting on an otherworldly performance, giving up 15 points in like the last 4 minutes of the NFCCG against the Seahawks and then letting them score in overtime, then the next year after Rodgers drives the field with back to back hail marys to put it into overtime, letting Fitzgerald absolutely gash down the field for the win.

And then today. Kevin King wasn't a bad player all season. He was whatever. Nothing amazing but not a massive liability either. Then out of nowhere at the worst time in the worst situation, he turns into Ahmad goddamn Carroll.

Unreal.

Conveniently left out the 2010 year where Nick Collins gets the pick 6 and you guys stuff Roethlisberger on the final drive lol

There's no way he's done in GB. Emo Aaron will be replaced by Scotch-sipping 'beat them beat them' Aaron in September, and they'll roll again and get into the playoffs. Maybe they would have even drafted a good player by then

Edited by BigTrav

10 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Conveniently left out the 2010 year where Nick Collins gets the pick 6 and you guys stuff Roethlisberger on the final drive lol

oh hell yeah the one year our defense was legit we won the SB. Interesting what a more consistent defense could've done for ARod's career. Not conveniently leaving anything out, it enhances my point. It's the exception that proves the rule.

Nobody's gonna mistake them for one of THE great defenses everyone remembers, like 00 Ravens, 85 Bears, 13 Seahawks, etc, but they were solid. If Rodgers just had more defenses that somewhat resembled that, Packers would've had much more postseason success.

• Like 1

Pretty crazy to think that Rodgers threw 44 Tds with that supporting cast. Granted, the running game opened everything up. Adams isn't a top 5 WR, but his numbers are amplified by Rodgers high trust level with him. Lazard UDFA, Tonyan UDFA. ESB 6th Round. MVS 5th Round. That's a lot of JAGS.

On the OL, Wagner and Turner were backstop additions. Though Jenkins (Jones as well if we are speaking recent) may the one impact offensive player they have drafted of late. 

Collectively, that's far from a great unit. 

Packers neglected the offensive side of the ball for quite some time, by wasting enormous draft capital on the the defensive backfield. 

Edited by Howler

Packers would never get rid of him. They have him under contract and are easily still within a championship window. They would never get the compensation to make it worth it

Aaron Rodgers has no incentive to demand a trade either. He's still in a championship window, demanding a trade would cause a mess that would be bad for him, and I don't know if I can think of a single team that he could go to, that would require trading away assets and have the cap to acquire him, that would be better for him winning a championship. Like.. the 49ers MAYBE?

I just can't see either party wanting this. Now, when his contract expires and there is more flexibility involved in choosing where he goes and the contract he signs? That's a different story, but right now I can't even see a world where this happens short of an absolute organizational collapse (ala Houston Texans)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Asciimo said:

dude lost with good defense (3 straight turnovers), #1 oline, #1 wr. i mean what more excuses can u make

This. GB scored three points in the 4th quarter despite two TOs forced by their D. The defense gave up 31 points, but that included an 8-yard drive after the GB fumble. The GB defense did fairly well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Asciimo said:

definitely good enough to win. they scored 3 points off of 3 turnovers?

Not all turnovers are equal. They got the ball at their own 32, 19, and 24. Those are basically post-punt starting positions. The value of those picks was keeping TB off the board, not putting GB in scoring position. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howler said:

Pretty crazy to think that Rodgers threw 44 Tds with that supporting cast. Granted, the running game opened everything up. Adams isn't a top 5 WR, but his numbers are amplified by Rodgers high trust level with him. Lazard UDFA, Tonyan UDFA. ESB 6th Round. MVS 5th Round. That's a lot of JAGS.

On the OL, Wagner and Turner were backstop additions. Though Jenkins (Jones as well if we are speaking recent) may the one impact offensive player they have drafted of late. 

Collectively, that's far from a great unit. 

Packers neglected the offensive side of the ball for quite some time, by wasting enormous draft capital on the the defensive backfield. 

FOH. I understand your sad the Packers lost but this offense, while far from perfect, was incredible all year.

51 minutes ago, WideRight said:

Not all turnovers are equal. They got the ball at their own 32, 19, and 24. Those are basically post-punt starting positions. The value of those picks was keeping TB off the board, not putting GB in scoring position. 

Then the flip side of that is GB’s defense shouldn’t be punished too harshly for giving up the TD of the Jones fumble, as that left them backed up. (Can’t defend the D on the  Scott Miller TD before the half, that was just awful).

12 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

I didn't even really have it on my radar that Rodgers might be looking to leave but his comments today were genuinely weird and I don't think can just be chalked up to the emotions of the moment. He's a pretty savvy guy and understood full well what the implications were of what he was saying. Retirement would be a huge surprise coming off an MVP year that comes up short in the playoffs so the only alternative is a trade, which feels even harder to believe. 

My guess is that he's going to make noise mostly as a way of trying to exert a little mores pressure on the Packers FO in terms of how they approach the offseason. I feel like Brady leaving NE for elite weapons in Tampa and then immediately winning is likely going to influence his thinking and he's going to try and create a similar scenario for himself, whether in GB or elsewhere. 

I mean, this is the simplest explanation. He's showing them whose boss.

11 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

Then the flip side of that is GB’s defense shouldn’t be punished too harshly for giving up the TD of the Jones fumble, as that left them backed up. (Can’t defend the D on the  Scott Miller TD before the half, that was just awful).

As a whole, I don't think the D was bad. There were just a few mistakes that just can't happen. Savage has got to get a hand on the floater to Godwin on 3rd down on the first drive. 7 point mistake. Redmond has an easy pick the play before the Miller TD. And the Miller TD simply can't happen. Brutal call. 8 seconds no timeouts. Give up everything underneath.

Edited by WideRight
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

Absolutely agree. Thought they played well overall. The Miller TD is and inexcusable call. On top of that, Redmond has an easy pick the play before that. And Savage had some mistakes. As a whole, they played well. Just a few very costly errors.

• Like 1