Is Rodgers done in GB?

rocky_rams

So I get that Rodgers owns the Packers and all that but Jones and Williams are now free agents.

Are they allowed to have someone on the team who knows the offense and can run the ball next year?

Were they allowed to draft Rodgers when Favre was still going strong?

1 hour ago, Archimedes said:

Holy hell. They’re over the cap? I didn’t realize that.

That's only based on the lowest possible figure, like every other team right now.  Remember, they just extended Kenny Clark mid-season IIRC.  

The real projected cap is still up in the air (they usually have projected numbers in December within 5-7M range and send them to each team but they're still trying to figure things out right now for the abnormal year--covid, 17 game season, and TV deal all happening at once)--so they haven' done that yet.

The rough estimated numbers are well above the lowest possible they can be but we won't find out until a week or two when it hits the media. They HAVE to have those out to teams by around the end of January per the CBA.

54 minutes ago, Asciimo said:

at some point you have to think that maybe Rodgers is why don't go to the SB but he puts up too good of regular season numbers for people to think that

Have you seen the defenses he has played with over the years? 

Even this year. Last year the defense were not that good and they did nothing to improve it in the offseason. They started the season looking very vulnerable like they did in the past and then they suddenly looked "good" when they faced some of the worst offenses in the league. 

Nick Mullens /49ers (20th)<--2nd string QB on a banged up offense
Jake Luton /Jags (27th)<--Same as above
Philip Rivers /Colts (12th) <--Loss
Mitch Trubisky /Bears (25th)<--2nd string...maybe? I'm a Bears fan and I don't even know to categorize this
Wentz/Hurts /Eagles (28th)<--Hurts first foot in the door IIRC
Matt Stafford /Lions (16th)<--Coming off a injury
Teddy Bridgewater /Panthers (17th)<--Enough said
Ryan Tannehill /Titans (4th) <--Their only true showing
Mitch Trubisky /Bears (25th)

4 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

That's only based on the lowest possible figure, like every other team right now.  Remember, they just extended Kenny Clark mid-season IIRC.  

The real projected cap is still up in the air (they usually have projected numbers in December within 5-7M range and send them to each team but they're still trying to figure things out right now for the abnormal year--covid, 17 game season, and TV deal all happening at once)--so they haven' done that yet.

The rough estimated numbers are well above the lowest possible they can be but we won't find out until a week or two when it hits the media. They HAVE to have those out to teams by around the end of January per the CBA.

Have you seen the defenses he has played with over the years? 

Even this year. Last year the defense were not that good and they did nothing to improve it in the offseason. They started the season looking very vulnerable like they did in the past and then they suddenly looked "good" when they faced some of the worst offenses in the league. 

Nick Mullens /49ers (20th)<--2nd string QB on a banged up offense
Jake Luton /Jags (27th)<--Same as above
Philip Rivers /Colts (12th) <--Loss
Mitch Trubisky /Bears (25th)<--2nd string...maybe? I'm a Bears fan and I don't even know to categorize this
Wentz/Hurts /Eagles (28th)<--Hurts first foot in the door IIRC
Matt Stafford /Lions (16th)<--Coming off a injury
Teddy Bridgewater /Panthers (17th)<--Enough said
Ryan Tannehill /Titans (4th) <--Their only true showing
Mitch Trubisky /Bears (25th)

I don't really disagree dude. Rodgers needs to go to a place that knows how to build a defense. 

5 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I don’t think there’s anywhere he can go where he’s going to have a better shot. Green Bay sure af isn’t going to be better without him. 

And QBs usually don’t retire until they suck.

I mean there are a few teams that I think would be interested and that I think would be a strong SB contender if he were to be traded to them.

Disclaimer: I'm not familiar with the cap situation with a lot of these teams. I'm leaving out the Rams because I know they don't have the draft capital to make a trade anyways.

Dolphins

Steelers (If Ben retires)

Colts

Washington

Bears

Saints

49ers

So, yes I think that there would be interest from a lot of teams that would think he makes them a SB contender.

But I really doubt GB trades him. And to be honest, Rodgers should have played better today. He can blame the coaching decisions all he wants but he's the one who missed a wide open run to the endzone on the play before that.

7 minutes ago, Asciimo said:

I don't really disagree dude. Rodgers needs to go to a place that knows how to build a defense. 

That's the thing though, the Packers have been trying to build a defense for years but whatever reason but they just can't seem to get it right. Former GM Ted Thompson (RIP) ignored FA altogether and tried to build it through the draft and he whiffed alot. Nick Perry, Worthy, Jones, Haha, Randall, Rollins, Fackrell, Martinez, King (he's not bad despite tonight), Jones, Adams, Jackson, Burks, etc.  

Then he got some right but then Dom Capers failed to develop them so they looked like busts and when they left the Packers they would go on to have better careers like Casey Heyward and Randall (for a short stint).  

I agree though. He needs a better defense. Pettine is looking worse than Capers at this point because the Packers do have alot of talent on defense and there's no reason why they shouldn't be a top-10 unit by now and the fact that they aren't speaks volumes to the coaching staff.  

1 minute ago, Nabbs4u said:

All Rodgers did is continue the Rediculous 2 decade trend of the  League MVP, NOT winning the SB in the same season. 

Screw the Madden Curse

It's actually comical how long this streak is.

And the fact that league MVP's are something like 0-10 in SB's since 1999 as well.

12 minutes ago, Asciimo said:

definitely good enough to win. they scored 3 points off of 3 turnovers?

Allowing 9-14 on 3rd down is NOT good enough to win.

They was playing from behind because the defense could stop TBs offense on 3rd down and gave up a 40 yard TD pass with only 8 seconds left to make it a 2 possession game going into the half instead of a 4 point game. And then late in the game they were getting beat in early downs and couldn't even force a 3rd down that allowed the Bucs to drive down field. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

That wasn't a good defense tonight. 

The thing about the Packers defense is that you really need to watch it to understand just how brutal it is. If you go back and look over the years, I'm sure the season ending bulk numbers won't look THAT bad. Maybe a few years will, and most are gonna be in the bottom half or bottom third of the league, but that's not the story.

It's how un-clutch the defense is. It's how easily the crumble at the worst possible moments. In seasons, games, or even single drives. It's a rich Packers tradition that goes back before Rodgers. Young to Owens in the playoffs, 4th and 26 from the Eagles. Then when Rodgers came, coughing up multiple 4th quarter leads time after time in the 2008 season, Big Ben marching down the field in the regular season in '09, letting Arizona hang a 40-burger in the playoffs in '09 when Rodgers is putting on an otherworldly performance, giving up 15 points in like the last 4 minutes of the NFCCG against the Seahawks and then letting them score in overtime, then the next year after Rodgers drives the field with back to back hail marys to put it into overtime, letting Fitzgerald absolutely gash down the field for the win.

And then today. Kevin King wasn't a bad player all season. He was whatever. Nothing amazing but not a massive liability either. Then out of nowhere at the worst time in the worst situation, he turns into Ahmad goddamn Carroll.

Unreal.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Asciimo said:

dude lost with good defense (3 straight turnovers), #1 oline, #1 wr. i mean what more excuses can u make

He needs to go to New England before it's too late. BB will always give you a chance, and Rodgers will put them over the top.

(provided he doesn't win MVP of course)

• Like 1