When can we start putting Mahomes on the list of all-time great QBs?

childofpudding

I think it will take him at least 7-8 full season as a starter to really work his way into that convo.

He's on a top 3 all-time trajectory though.

I'll echo what others have said and say I am curious to see what he looks like without an elite supporting cast.

In 2006 Brady nearly took the Pats to the SB with Reche "Bugeyes" Caldwell as his #1 WR.

• Like 4

As for the thread topic, I think on some level he has to already be in that discussion. It's just incredibly hard to imagine ranking him, given the huge disparity in time played. But his resume, as far as accolades and success, already outpace the vast majority of QBs in NFL history. If you leave out bulk stats and years accrued, and just throw down the resume of 1 MVP, 3 conference championship games, 2 superbowls, 1 superbowl win (at least), 1 superbowl MVP (at least), add in that he's already top 25 in postseason passing TDs, top 30 in postseason passing yards, #1 in post season passer rating (obviously there's time for that one to fall.) All of that already adds up to a better resume than most QBs in NFL history. I don't think you can make a top 25 list of QBs all-time and not have to include him, based on just what he's done so far.

That said, you can't assume longevity, and you do need some of that to get much higher. There is a reason Sterling Sharpe, Terrell Davis, Tony Boselli, (arguably) Calvin Johnson, Patrick Willis, even Kurt Warner to an extent, are capped a bit in terms of how high they can get on most people's all-time rankings. Does having one more superbowl appearance than Drew Brees offset having 7 fewer playoff appearances? Probably not. But it gets muddy trying to weigh those sorts of things if you want to do an actual ranking.

If the man keeps up his playoff performances though, he's gonna skyrocket those potential all-time rankings. Right now, he's 6-1, averaging 300+ yards and 3 TDs per game. That's...disgusting. That's like, 88-89 Joe Montana playoff numbers.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

f you leave out bulk stats and years accrued, and just throw down the resume of 1 MVP, 3 conference championship games, 2 superbowls, 1 superbowl win (at least), 1 superbowl MVP (at least), add in that he's already top 25 in postseason passing TDs, top 30 in postseason passing yards, #1 in post season passer rating (obviously there's time for that one to fall.) All of that already adds up to a better resume than most QBs in NFL history.

Jak, you're not slick with throwing this list of Mahomes accolades in our faces. 

(k/k I know that's not what you were saying) 

Edited by JAF-N72EX

I don't usually jump the gun on players; I think it's important to see them over the course of a few years. However, with Mahomes if you just watched him his first season as a starter, it was obvious that he was just so so so effing good. Not "he has talent, but he's gotta learn the pro game" good, or "He'll make mistakes and have growing pains but the foundation is there" good, but legit immediately pretty much the best QB in the league period, no need to grade on a curve.

At that point it was really just a matter of him having a normal decade+ long career trajectory for a QB.

I don't know if his he'll have a Brady-like resumé when it's all said and done (no Belichick, and not taking discounts might eat into his future Super Bowl apperances a bit), but I bet he'll be talked about when it comes to "best ever" conversations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, malak1 said:

No reason not to have him there now. 

This will be a semantic game. He’s probably best ever already in terms of playing the position, but resumé, (aka GOAT) probably no one will ever touch TB12.

He hasn't played long enough to warrant that spot, plan and simple. If he suffers a catastrophic injury derailing the rest of his career, would he be on that overall list? No!

As impressive as he has looked and given what he has accomplished thus far he is on pace to (1 day) be on that list. 

However I'd still take Dan Marino 1984 over any QB season since. Especially against this pass wacky, defensive touch/flag football they call the NFL these days.