Stafford traded to the Rams for Goff, multiple FRPs

TheRealMcCoy

7 minutes ago, fortdetroit said:

It appears you do not understand how DVOA works.  A bunch of short touchdowns when the running game is otherwise garbage, would be factored into the DVOA rankings.  You don't extra DVOA credit if you score a bunch of easy touchdowns you would be expected to score (like from the 1 yard line for example).

DVOA takes into account their low yards per carry and adjusts it for game situation and what would be expected in the situations the Rams ran in. It's not just a total of rushing yards and touchdowns and YPC.

I obviously have no idea all the variables that go into DVOA. What matters for the Rams is rushing efficiency/production. The 15th ranked team in YPC averaged 17% more than the Rams. That's very significant. So from an actual production standpoint, the running game was not able to move the ball effectively for the offense. That is undeniable. The Rams were 18th in carries and only 26th in total rushing yards. 

FWIW, the Lions with Stafford only had a worse YPC than the 2019 Rams twice. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think it's a real possibility if they can keep the defense together. 

The defense isn't going to stay together, and defensive play is volatile from year to year. I would expect them to have a top 10 defense (because I respect Morris and the talent), but it's unlikely they're #1 again.

2 hours ago, fortdetroit said:

The Rams had the 15th ranked running game by DVOA in 2019.  "Garbage" lol.  That's would be nearly a record high for Stafford and the Lions - Lions have only been at that point or higher one time, 12th in DVOA in 2012, when they had the 8th best offense in the league.

26th in yards per game and 27th in yards per carry in 2019. If DVOA says our running game was average, it's a garbage metric. 

• Like 1

Crediting QBs with wins and losses is incredibly stupid.

Some people have argued that the Rams made a mistake because the Rams have won with Goff and the Lions have lost with Stafford.

Who has more "control" - a QB over wins and losses or the best pass rusher on a team over the team pass rush?

I would argue the latter. The QB never steps on the field defensively while the pass rusher will play 60-80% of pass rushing plays, if not more. How much attention they garner from the OL can directly lead to other pass rushers being productive.

I've heard a QB get slammed for losing a million times. I've never once heard a pass rusher get slammed for his team not being effective overall at rushing the passer.

It's incredibly stupid to credit a QB with wins/losses.

1 hour ago, Blackstar12 said:

First time I ever heard that about Stafford lol.

I'm not a fan of the 4th quarter comeback and game winning drive stats for QBs, but considering how bad the Lions are as an organization, I think his carries some weight.

He averages about as many GWD per season as any QB in NFL history, maybe more.

This is a big part of it for me. Goff had a few GWD, but in four years with McVay, he almost never closed out a game. I can think of twice in Seattle, a drive that led to a missed FG and the QB sneak on 4th and inches to ice the game. The game winning TD against the Chiefs, but right before that he threw the ball right to a Chiefs DB for an easy INT that was dropped, and after that we stopped Mahomes and the offense went three and out - defense had to stop Mahomes twice in that game.

Earlier this year against Tampa was his only GWD of the season, and McVay didn't trust him to throw on 3rd and 7, instead saying "we'll take the FG and then trust our D to stop the GOAT".

I just always felt like we had to rely on the defense to close out games. Maybe that continues with Stafford but I always felt like he plays well late in games for the most part.