Patrick Mahomes is keeping Tom Brady in the NFL.

RamblinMan99

On 2/1/2021 at 4:23 PM, WideRight said:

Decorated means nothing. What Brown did in Pittsburgh or Gronk did in NE has zero to do with the type of players they are now. I'll use PFF as a quick reference. TB doesn't have a WR in the top 14, or any rated above a 82.8. Their top three rank 15, 28, and 39. Three teams have 2 WR's ranked before TB has one. At TE their two rank 22 and 23. This is not even to say they have bad receivers - they don't at all, they have good ones. But to call them the best receiving corps in history is preposterous. Minnesota's is better right now. Just off the top of my head, Indy '04 was better, NE '07, Minnesota '98, Arizona '08 - all better. Tampa barely had a WR crack 1000 this year - Arizona '08 had three.

All of this is still beside the point. My initial point was in reply to the thread in that it's dumb to think that Brady is still playing solely because of Mahomes. Why wouldn't he play? He's still awesome, clearly enjoys doing it, and this year is already a success whether or not they can beat KC.

Yeah, so many WRs running wide open on every play... yeah, trash WR core for sure. Probably only above average. These guys are all living off of their past reputations at this point. And Gronk is definitely not a top 20 TE in the NFL... 😂

5 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah, so many WRs running wide open on every play... yeah, trash WR core for sure. Probably only above average. These guys are all living off of their past reputations at this point. And Gronk is definitely not a top 20 TE in the NFL... 😂

The Bucs had 201 passing yards. Evans and Godwin combined for 40 lol. You missed the point of any of this. I replied to the original post. Since you’re having a hard time understanding, I’ll lay out the points.

1 - Brady isn’t still playing because of Mahomes

2 - There would have been no shame in losing this game. Winning the game adds to his legacy, losing it wouldn’t have hurt it. 

3 - The 2020 Bucs do not have the greatest receiving group in the 101 history of the NFL. 

All three points remain.

No one is saying they sucked, that they aren’t good, that they’re even average. To say that they are #1 all time was and remains laughable. 

On 2/5/2021 at 6:43 PM, pf9 said:

I think Brady will stay through at least 2023. The Bucs have a home game with Jacksonville that year, and he knows that Trevor Lawrence is one of the most highly-touted QB prospects ever, being projected to JAX at #1. Brady wants a chance to have a QB duel with him, potentially in primetime. So yeah, Brady doesn't want to retire until he plays against Lawrence.

yep

Trevor Lawrence is keeping Brady in the league now.

After Brady feeds on Trevor, there will be someone else. Then another. Then another

Manning is better...

Rodgers is better....

Mahomes is better....

Is it actually very impressive that one player can have THREE legitimate debates at different times about which other great player at the time is greater. We've never seen this.

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

If he can play, if he's still healthy, if the team can contend... why shouldn't Brady stick around?  Bucs should win the South next season with Saints taking a step back.  Packers have never proven they are this team to fear (the amazing home field advantage, yet only one Super Bowl, hmmm..). I find it hard to believe Mahomes is just being marked in for all these Super Bowls.  Nothing is a sure thing.  

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Manning is better...

Rodgers is better....

Mahomes is better....

Is it actually very impressive that one player can have THREE legitimate debates at different times about which other great player at the time is greater. We've never seen this.

Tbf he had 3 different debates because once he put distance between him and Manning they had to pivot to a different kind of argument with Rodgers and now it’s a pivot to “look at this hot start and all this potential”

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Manning is better...

Rodgers is better....

Mahomes is better....

There was even a bit of an argument about Brees potentially ending with all the records, but that ship has also sailed.

Maybe we should start comparing him to Trevor Lawrence.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

No, but he’s the best postseason TE to ever play the game and he proved that again yesterday.

I’m not a fan of the guy but I will give the credit where it’s due.

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Manning is better...

Rodgers is better....

Mahomes is better....

You have to remember though that Brady has had better coaching in his career than those guys.  

You can’t get better than Belichick or Arians.  

They built teams around Brady that can compete.  

Rodgers in particular never had that kind of treatment.  

12 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

You have to remember though that Brady has had better coaching in his career than those guys.  

You can’t get better than Belichick or Arians.  

They built teams around Brady that can compete.  

Rodgers in particular never had that kind of treatment.  

Rodgers inherited a team and a coach that was in a conference title game before he got there. McCarthy accomplished more without Rodgers than Belichick without Brady. That’s just a fact. 

• Like 1

I find this headline laughable. What Brady has done before last nights game is far better then any qb in history and likely any qb in our generation. As much as I dislike the guy you have to respect what he has done. Mahomes has only been in the league 3 years and people act like he is some unicorn. If Watson was the pick for KC instead of Mahomes we would be talking about Watson being the next best thing then Mahomes. Mahomes was given one of the greatest offensive minded hc in the league in over the last 20+ years, he was given a respectable oline and weapons galore. Not to knock Mahomes because he is a solid QB in the NFL but he was put in place to win early on more so then any other qb in the NFL. Once this team has to make adjustments and Reid either retires or cap space catches up to them in which one or multiple weapons move on from the team then he will have to prove why he was paid 450 mil. Again no offense to Mahomes but him being in the league has zero impact or reason why brady would extend his career or care about what mahomes may or may not due. 10 superbowls, winning 7, is something that is unheard of and while KC has been solid the last 3 years I do not see them in a dynasty mode in which they will be getting to the superbowl more often especially with other teams that are improving and will be in similar situations with talent around them in the AFC. Lamar, Allen, Watson, Herbert, Burrow, and now Lawrence will be battling it out quite a bit moving forward. As for Brady whether he won or lost last night he would be still ready to play next year cause he is a competitor and is always trying to prove the world that he can do it and going in to retirement isn't something he is looking forward to doing and until his body proves he is declining I do not see him stopping. He was making plays that any young qb was making in the superbowl and he has the weapons to do it so until he looks like Peyton Manning's last season I do not see him going out. Again this has no impact on Mahomes it has everything to do with Bradys competitive nature and his ability to still be able to play.

18 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

I find this headline laughable. What Brady has done before last nights game is far better then any qb in history and likely any qb in our generation. As much as I dislike the guy you have to respect what he has done. Mahomes has only been in the league 3 years and people act like he is some unicorn. If Watson was the pick for KC instead of Mahomes we would be talking about Watson being the next best thing then Mahomes. Mahomes was given one of the greatest offensive minded hc in the league in over the last 20+ years, he was given a respectable oline and weapons galore. Not to knock Mahomes because he is a solid QB in the NFL but he was put in place to win early on more so then any other qb in the NFL. Once this team has to make adjustments and Reid either retires or cap space catches up to them in which one or multiple weapons move on from the team then he will have to prove why he was paid 450 mil. Again no offense to Mahomes but him being in the league has zero impact or reason why brady would extend his career or care about what mahomes may or may not due. 10 superbowls, winning 7, is something that is unheard of and while KC has been solid the last 3 years I do not see them in a dynasty mode in which they will be getting to the superbowl more often especially with other teams that are improving and will be in similar situations with talent around them in the AFC. Lamar, Allen, Watson, Herbert, Burrow, and now Lawrence will be battling it out quite a bit moving forward. As for Brady whether he won or lost last night he would be still ready to play next year cause he is a competitor and is always trying to prove the world that he can do it and going in to retirement isn't something he is looking forward to doing and until his body proves he is declining I do not see him stopping. He was making plays that any young qb was making in the superbowl and he has the weapons to do it so until he looks like Peyton Manning's last season I do not see him going out. Again this has no impact on Mahomes it has everything to do with Bradys competitive nature and his ability to still be able to play.

• I find the premise of this thread silly but I think a couple of things here don't make sense.
  • If cap spaces and losing talent is going to be an issue for the Chiefs, due to Mahomes extension why wouldn't it be for all bar Herbert, Burrow and Lawrence?
  • Lamar and Allen are set to get huge extensions this summer for next year too. Watson already has his. Which will have comparable, or potentially more, average annual cap hits due to timing.
  • Whilst Burrow and Lawrence have proved sweet FA in the grand scheme of things. Herbert had an amazing year, but is still a rookie. (As an aside I already feel Herbert and Burrow will be hamstrung by the franchises they play for but that's a discussion for another time).
  • You'd think 2 Superbowl Apps, 3 AFC Championship Games, 1 SB MVP, 1 League MVP, Throwing for 50 TD's in a season are all reasons that prove he should get the extension he did? Just like the performances shown by Lamar and Allen are why they're about to get $$$?
  • Did people have these same reservations about Manning and Brady when they were on the up and up? That a turnover of weapons would cause them to perform less?
  • I don't think the Chiefs will be a dynasty, i think much of that talk is for talking heads to get viewers and online peep with no ability to see the forest for the trees, it just too hard in the modern NFL, but having a Top 5 QB (rank Mahomes whereever) means you have a chance, unless you decide to field god-awful defence like the Saints did 2012, 2014-16. Like I really don't think Kelce slowing down and Hill retiring is going to mean Mahomes won't be competitive at some time in the future barring injury.