Super Bowl Post Game Discussion

Webmaster

Just now, Broncofan said:

Sure, but there's also some guys who just excel at the #2 role (OC, DC).   Bowles' greatest asset IMO is his adaptability and flexibility.   He's used both zone and man schemes, blitz and cover schemes, interchangeably.   This IMO is a guy you want in charge of a D.   He did an amazing job in switching the D's for 3 different type of O's (taking away the short stuff vs. NO and daring Brees to beat him deep, taking away Adams with Rodgers, and then daring Mahomes to run, drawing up CB blitzes in the first 2-3 drives, and then never using it again once the D started to wear out the OL).   

Maybe he'll be a good HC.   Frankly, I don't think the best OC/DC should always be elevated, especially if they're detail-oriented ppl.  Those are the ones you want at that #2 level. 

Agree. I just think he'd be a guy I'd have at the top of the retread list if nothing else. He's always been a dynamite DC. 

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Right out of the CAR - DEN 2015 playbook.   Right down to having the same T facing the pass rush....with the same result.

There's really no excuse for that at all. Do what you have to do...run the ball more, play more 12 personnel and keep a TE to block or something. He was pressured on almost every play. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Andy...dude...you have to adjust at some point

I know sooner or later, it's going to get brought up how badly Reid coached this game - and inevitably, this will get pointed to his son's troubles.  

But I think we all forget quickly how BAD Andy Reid was at in-game adjustments and game management pre-Mahomes.   Remember the 10 minute drive down 14 and 13 minutes to go?   The go-for-3 / punt plays where game management dictated to go for it?   Mahomes wiped that Andy Reid away from our memory banks...until tonight.

I for one agree Reid had a F performance tonight.  But we forget what makes Reid so great was his pre-game preparation and innovation.  Before Mahomes, his weakness was in-game management and adaptation.   

It is curious that Reid thought 5-man protection was the answer for the last 2 weeks, though.   Would have thought he'd come up with something WAY more creative.   That may be where having Kelce as such a receiving weapon, it wasn't obvious as to how they supplement blocking help.  Weird that he didn't have a plan B.  But the poor in-game adjustments, we forget this was vintage Reid...before Mahomes.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

The most surprising thing about this game is the revelation that Patrick Mahomes has the same key weakness that all commentators believed solely belonged to Tom Brady.

*Consistent pressure without blitzing

Having a great pass rush with only 3-4 has literally been the best defense against any QB since the beginning of football. Its hilarious how consistently pundits make it out to be some revelatory tactical revelation. Todd Bowles is great at his job no doubt but all the people hyping him up after the game confuse me since any competent defensive mind would have run the same defense with the same success tonight. If anything they need to be questioning Reid and offensive genius head coach in training Bienemy for how they ever though that never having any extra blockers was a good idea at all tonight.

• Like 2