House of the Dragon - Season 2 - June 16

Acgott

53 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

There were a lot of uncomfortable scenes in this episode. That one was up there. 

And it was vintage Tywin. I could practically hear him yell “because you’re my DAUGHTER!” much like how Tywin berated Cersei for even thinking of not marrying Loras.

Spoiler

His teenage daughter could immediately fill a gap, solidify an alliance, box out Damian and potentially sire an heir that’s conveniently his grandson. He moved quickly and wasn’t going to take no for an answer - from anyone.

As far an uncomfortable… woof, don’t think anything will top the C-Section scene. (Which means somehow will absolutely top it).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

And it was vintage Tywin. I could practically hear him yell “because you’re my DAUGHTER!” much like how Tywin berated Cersei for even thinking of not marrying Loras.

Hide contents

His teenage daughter could immediately fill a gap, solidify an alliance, box out Damian and potentially sire an heir that’s conveniently his grandson. He moved quickly and wasn’t going to take no for an answer - from anyone.

As far an uncomfortable… woof, don’t think anything will top the C-Section scene. (Which means somehow will absolutely top it).

Oh no, your pick for top uncomfortable scene was BY FAR the winner. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Hide contents

I was still figuring out who was what house and about halfway through I was like "ah ok, that's his daughter"
Which immediately turned to "aaand he is pimping her out"

• Like 1

After reading Fire and Blood, I'm so hyped they chose the Dance of the Dragons time period as the first of what I'm assuming will be many prequels/sequels.  If they can pull off the storytelling aspect correctly*, this show is going to be better (and more ruthless) than the original series.  

*Feel pretty good about the chances of this knowing how involved Martin is going to be (believe he signed a five-year contract with HBO Max for mid-eight figures).  I suspect he wants some redemption for the terrible turn the original series took once he was pushed out of the writing process. 

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 4

As a reader of Fire and Blood, and generally have always found the Targaryens the most interesting - this was a great first episode. Captures the tone of the book well, from that period.

A couple of casting issues I have, but it won't detract from the series. Looking forward to the rest of it

• Like 5

4 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

I hadn't even thought of that, that makes it even worse for me. I just thought it was a very heavy handed attempt to force the story together for viewers that somehow forgot or something. The 170 years before Dany thing was enough.

Hide contents

As far as I know, there isn't any such in-universe prophecy but the source material for this particular story that they're telling is relatively thin.

No, there isn't. They've just slotted that in. At least not in F&B

Edited by Hunter2_1

7 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Thank you - the only way I can see it working is if as a result of the upcoming Targ Civil War, the prophecy is lost

Spoilers from later in the book

Spoiler

Given the way it unfolds in the book between her and her half brothers, it is completely believable she never had the real chance to share it with her children. And since Viserys makes it clear that only the King/Queen knows the prophecy and it is passed only to his heir, that would make it lost forever.

7 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Thank you - the only way I can see it working is if as a result of the upcoming Targ Civil War, the prophecy is lost. Otherwise, it completely ruins the mystery of Rhaegar Targaryan's actions in Game of Thrones, the whole point of the Prince that was Promised was that it was the only thing that could explain him running off with Lyanna Stark, being sad all the time, etc.

I get wanting to connect it to the source material, but that undercuts the heart of GoT.

This is how I feel. It was alright, they got the overall feel back of the show. I appreciate that.

I think undercutting the heart of GoT was already out the window about season 6 and beyond. I don't blame the show runners though, I blame GRRM.

I still kinda feel Westeros should’ve been lost to the white walkers. It made it seem like Westeros would need its full strength to contend, but the years before it was a large scale war between all the houses that cut down the fighting population considerably. Arya effortlessly taking out the guy we spent years of our lives waiting for like he was nothing still keeps me up at night. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

I still kinda feel Westeros should’ve been lost to the white walkers. It made it seem like Westeros would need its full strength to contend, but the years before it was a large scale war between all the houses that cut down the fighting population considerably. Arya effortlessly taking out the guy we spent years of our lives waiting for like he was nothing still keeps me up at night. 

I've thought about that since it took them a whole one episode or 2 to win, but at the same time we have to remember to things 1) they were beaten by man before, 2) no one knew anything about them so any statement regarding their strength could be easily prone to exageration, especially by those who want to use it to concentrate their power.

• Like 2

• Acgott changed the title to House of the Dragon - Season 2 - June 16