Hypothetical trade: Watson for Dak?

turtle28

Mike Tanebaum just brought up an intriguing idea on ESPN’s “Get Up!” 

Dallas could franchise tag Dak & trade him to Houston for DeShaun Watson.

This seems very possible to me. I’d hate it as a Washington fan, but it makes a lot of sense for both teams.

The Cowboys would have to throw in a pick too to make it work. It seems to solve two problems. DeShaun gets out of Houston but gets to stay in Texas which I think he loves. Dak also gets out of Dallas and gets the contract extension Dallas wouldn’t give him from Houston. Again, Dak seems to like living in Texas too so it makes sense from that standpoint.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, The Third Rider said:

I think Dallas would need more then a pick to get this done, is there a reason for Houston to believe Dat isn't damaged goods?

So we're back to the "how much leverage does Houston actually have?" question

If their options are unproven rookie QB plus picks, or Dak coming off of an injury plus fewer picks, I think its at least a conversation

Dak coming off the injury is far safer than any of these rookie QBs IMO... the question is the difference in ADDITIONAL compensation that you would get from the other packages in comparison to a Dak package

Taking the logistics out of it as far as if this is even possible, but just as a football discussion??

If it really isn't salvageable with Watson in Houston, they could do worse than getting Dak back in return. But Houston would need more back. The question is how much Dallas would be willing to give in return. Possibly a 1st rounder, and I think both teams should be happy with that. Maybe a '22 1st instead? I know most Dallas fans might think this is too much, but I think Watson would fit that team so well, he'd be a freaking badass.

Since Watson joined the NFL hes a 104.5 rated QB while Dak has been 95.4

This is 2nd best to like 12th best.

It would take 2 first rounders, additional picks, and Dak for a trade like that.

Dak's value is about the same as Wentz and Goff except he wants more money than they got.

You are hoping to get better results then Dallas has gotten after 2016.

Which would HOU rather have;  Dak for 1 year(32M) plus a possible huge ~5/165M contract in the future while coming off a season ending injury?  Or Fields/Wilson on a rookie deal where it's easier to rebuild around? 

The answer seems easy to me.  I can't see Houston trading away Watson without a chance to get either Fields or Wilson in return. 

• Like 1

Dak as a sign and trade is something he would have to be willing to do, he can easily sit out and have more leverage then what Watson currently has. Dak would ideally want to latch on to his choice of team not settle with Houston on a franchise tag. IF houston were to even look at trading Watson which I still believe is not happening the team is a total rebuild and Dak would make zero sense as they are having cap issues now and would be locked in to more cap issues in the future. The only way your landing Watson is a ton of draft capital, several players on rookie deals, or a mixture of both. A bloated dak 1 year deal is not something any team in a situation like the Texans are in to even consider this move. There is a reason TannenBUM failed at his job in 2 organizations so anything that guy says you should automatically go with the opposite of what he says.

• Like 1