Houston is gonna drop the ball on Watson

Blue

If this is true, then we can let the legal system take care of it. I will feel sympathy for the victims. 

If this is false because the timing is extremely suspicious, then I hope Watson sues these people into oblivion and makes back the money he will lose sitting out with HOU. 

33 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Keep it to football. We've already locked a few threads on this.

This allegation will have an impact on the football side of Deshaun Watson and his trade situation. The timing of this incident coincides with the timing of his trade and the start of the new league year. I'm not sure how we can keep this about just football without discussing what is actually happening.

43 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

So, since you're a proponent of "where there is smoke, there's fire" and yet reference an incident that proves a man was robbed of his due process and it cost him exponentially via draft slot and it was assumed he was guilty, you don't find this comically ironic?

What? Not once did I say he was guilty of anything. Teams who may be interested in making a move for him may get cold feet as this could take months for it to be resolved and to mortgage your future on a trade is risky. It also then brings up the Texans situation on whether or not they would move him and if so how is this going to impact the move, will it involve them quickly making the move or wait the process out in which this has to be finalized in which Watson clears his name. What does that mean for the texans?

Again I am not saying he is guilty or not, as that is beyond this forum and it isnt something that should be discussed. I am just talking about the impact of how the current situation would cause teams to hold off and pursue other avenues and how will the texans be able to handle the situation in which they hold on to him even more or quick to move him. 

Has to have an impact. Hard to think about trading the capital for a man facing the weight of this likely drawn out "distraction", and the distraction it brings with it to the new team. Furthermore, the impact that has to be considered by any interested team should a criminal case(s) arise from the allegations. 

It has been a rough off season for you Houston fans.  

11 minutes ago, Phinsesq said:

It has been a rough off season for you Houston fans.  

On the heels of the Astros cheating scandal and the James Harden trade, no less. I'd like to say I'm used to this sort of soul crushing news by now...

...I'd LIKE to say that, but can't. 

9 minutes ago, EvilenFroggen said:

The impact is, trading interest just went down, and potential compensation just went WAY down.  There’s really no need to say more than that. 

Yep.  Nothing more to say than that.  Watson is not getting traded and the Texans are going to have to figure out the best course of action going forward.  

Sucks for Texans fans.  Somehow they don't trade Watson and still end up on the losing end.

• Like 2

It'll be interesting to see how the Texans handle this if/when Deshaun Watson is suspended, now that the NFL is confirmed to be investigating the allegations.  And when I say if, it is not with any assumption of how this is all going to play out in courts, but rather how the NFL usually handles these situations when it can make them look bad.

Say he's suspended 8-10 games and at that point he's still adamant he doesn't want to be a Texan.  Do you try and see if you can find a trade partner before the season, or do you wait until 2022 to see if being a year removed from the situation will help get better value rather than trying to do it in the summer?  And if Watson is on the roster this year, do you even let him play after his suspension is over, especially if you are on track for the #1 overall pick?  

It's conceivable that we won't see Watson and Wilson traded until 2022.  I think then a swap between the two teams starts to make a lot of sense, especially if the Texans can go into the offseason that year in a healthy cap situation and a high draft pick.  Wilson can go to a team with money to spend and a high pick and a franchise LT, and Seattle has not shied away from players with potential character concerns in the past.  And getting Wilson back might be the best return they can get for Watson (although again it is still early and that is far out)

20 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

It'll be interesting to see how the Texans handle this if/when Deshaun Watson is suspended, now that the NFL is confirmed to be investigating the allegations.  And when I say if, it is not with any assumption of how this is all going to play out in courts, but rather how the NFL usually handles these situations when it can make them look bad.

Say he's suspended 8-10 games and at that point he's still adamant he doesn't want to be a Texan.  Do you try and see if you can find a trade partner before the season, or do you wait until 2022 to see if being a year removed from the situation will help get better value rather than trying to do it in the summer?  And if Watson is on the roster this year, do you even let him play after his suspension is over, especially if you are on track for the #1 overall pick?  

It's conceivable that we won't see Watson and Wilson traded until 2022.  I think then a swap between the two teams starts to make a lot of sense, especially if the Texans can go into the offseason that year in a healthy cap situation and a high draft pick.  Wilson can go to a team with money to spend and a high pick and a franchise LT, and Seattle has not shied away from players with potential character concerns in the past.  And getting Wilson back might be the best return they can get for Watson (although again it is still early and that is far out)

I don’t think we’re at the “when” for penalties yet.   But if he does get suspended for 6 games - he won’t he’s paid - but IIRC his 2021 contract tolls. Kinda crazy. 

Obviously there needs to be an investigation by the league to play out.  But at the very least it removes any predraft trade scenario.   That alone is a massive turn of events.  

Edited by Broncofan