The 2006 Colts has to be one of the greatest teams in history

Championshiporbust

I guess they were great, in the sense that they delivered in the clutch where so many previous Indy teams had failed. Let's not forget how bad their run defense was before they pulled it together in the playoffs, though.

Plus they got to play Rex Grossman's Bears in the Super Bowl. No team before or since has been so fortunate. 😄

Edited by y*so*blu

10 hours ago, LieutenantGains said:

The 2006 Colts are lucky the Patriots beat the Chargers. Chargers would have beat them in the AFC Championship Game.

2005 Colts were the best Manning Colts team. Still have no idea how they managed to go one-and-done.

In all of my years watching, there are 5 teams that it shocked me they went one-and-done.

2005 Colts

2006 Chargers

2010 Patriots

2011 Packers

2019 Ravens

I don't see how any of those were shockers... 2005 Steelers were on a mission going into the playoffs. Chargers are the biggest choking team in Professional Team Sports History, they been doing it since the 60's. Rex Ryan always gives the Pats issues, definitely an upset in 2010, but not a shocker by any stretch. The 2011 Packers were definitely cooling down going into the playoffs and the Giants DL was randomly heating up like they always seem to do. As for the 2019 Ravens... a lot of people were picking the Titans in that game, it was a horrible matchup for the Ravens. I personally picked the Ravens but I had to think about that one for a long time, was basically a coin flip to me.

23 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I don't see how any of those were shockers... 2005 Steelers were on a mission going into the playoffs. Chargers are the biggest choking team in Professional Team Sports History, they been doing it since the 60's. Rex Ryan always gives the Pats issues, definitely an upset in 2010, but not a shocker by any stretch. The 2011 Packers were definitely cooling down going into the playoffs and the Giants DL was randomly heating up like they always seem to do. As for the 2019 Ravens... a lot of people were picking the Titans in that game, it was a horrible matchup for the Ravens. I personally picked the Ravens but I had to think about that one for a long time, was basically a coin flip to me.

The Colts were expert chokers as well.  05’ and 07’ they were top-3 in both offense/defense and lost to young Ben and injured-Rivers/Volek...  08’ was bad luck having to play SD on the road with a better a better record.  That was the Mike Scifres MVP game.  

The NFL needed 16-win Pats vs 14-win Colts in the AFCCG and we got the banged up Chargers because Indy choked at home.

Edited by DirtyDez

1 hour ago, DirtyDez said:

The Colts were expert chokers as well.  05’ and 07’ they were top-3 in both offense/defense and lost to young Ben and injured-Rivers/Volek...  08’ was bad luck having to play SD on the road with a better a better record.  That was the Mike Scifres MVP game.  

The NFL needed 16-win Pats vs 14-win Colts in the AFCCG and we got the banged up Chargers because Indy choked at home.

Indy has Super Bowls and plenty of clutch wins. Chargers choke rate over 60 years is nearly 100%. It’s absolutely incredible. Nothing else ever like it. 

On 2/27/2021 at 7:58 AM, 43M said:

It just makes me laugh that his main reasoning is "they beat the Patriots".

I guess the 2005 Jake Plummer led Broncos and the 2010 Mark Sanchez led Jets were historic teams, too.   

I mean there's a guy who is likely going to get in the HOF because "he beat the Patriots"

On 2/26/2021 at 4:43 PM, rich homie said:

I think that team still holds the record for the worst run defense in NFL history? Not just by a Super Bowl winner but like ever out of all teams to play.

At yet the Bears still decided to throw the ball a lot even in the pouring rain, never mind the run game that was working in the first quarter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

At yet the Bears still decided to throw the ball a lot even in the pouring rain, never mind the run game that was working in the first quarter.

And with Rex Grossman as the one they were betting on out-dueling Peyton Manning. I'm not much of a gambling man but I think they were a little more stacked on offense than us. We should have tried to play bully ball.

On 2/26/2021 at 5:43 PM, rich homie said:

I think that team still holds the record for the worst run defense in NFL history? Not just by a Super Bowl winner but like ever out of all teams to play.

Gave up more yards, TDs, and the same numbers of 1st downs rushing than they did through the air...

The 0.5/attempt difference in a pass vs a rush, which is even crazier when you consider how great they were offensively (especially on a per drive basis), so you’d think if anything they would give up bulk passing numbers against teams trying to comeback - but teams actually rushed 50 more times than they did pass vs that Colts team. Weird formula for a championship defense.