Free Agency 2021

ReggieCamp

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah he’d be great.

He’s a viable starter for at least one season, has always been productive and would allow us to draft BPA round 1 but doesn’t preclude us from taking a DE if that happens to be BPA.

Yes.

He's a capable starter, won't really move the needle that much on the cap, highly productive, will at least free up him or Myles in 1:1 situations, plugs a major hole, and allows us major draft flexibility.

I'd go out and get a capable CB opposite Ward or in the slot, which would give us something like this:

DE: Myles

DT: Richardson

DT: Elliott/Billings

DE: Kerrigan

LB: Phillips

LB: TakiTaki

CB: Greedy, Free Agent

CB: Ward

S: Johnson

S: Delpit

S: Harrison, Redwine

IMO, that gives us great opportunity to get BPA anywhere, preferably at the LB spot or EDGE/DT spot(s).

If nothing else, we could even get some sort of big time offensive weapon if that guy fell, which while we don't "need" it, Landry and OBJ come off the books in 2 years...so having some sort of plan to rebuild going forward wouldn't be a bad idea.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

Yes.

He's a capable starter, won't really move the needle that much on the cap, highly productive, will at least free up him or Myles in 1:1 situations, plugs a major hole, and allows us major draft flexibility.

I'd go out and get a capable CB opposite Ward or in the slot, which would give us something like this:

DE: Myles

DT: Richardson

DT: Elliott/Billings

DE: Kerrigan

LB: Phillips

LB: TakiTaki

CB: Greedy, Free Agent

CB: Ward

S: Johnson

S: Delpit

S: Harrison, Redwine

IMO, that gives us great opportunity to get BPA anywhere, preferably at the LB spot or EDGE/DT spot(s).

If nothing else, we could even get some sort of big time offensive weapon if that guy fell, which while we don't "need" it, Landry and OBJ come off the books in 2 years...so having some sort of plan to rebuild going forward wouldn't be a bad idea.

@LETSGOBROWNIES TL;DR synopsis:

We'd have depth, especially in the secondary, with a lot of varied looks in the nickel/dime and big nickel packages, after having few quality starters, let alone depth in that same position group.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

People laugh, but thats a good idea lol It worked for the Panthers last year who spent every draft pick on defense.

Seriously though, they have 9 draft picks. If you gotta take chances, go ahead and draft somebody from Kalamazoo State.

Well first of all we made a hard run at solving edge for 5 years in Dupree excellent.

2nd We can resign all are free agents Teller,Chubb,Ward,Mayfield,and Higgins.

3 WE carry leftover money to next year.

4 We already have a draft day trade in place that nets us a edge rusher at 6 million per year go Browns good first day.Good Morning Sun GIF

24 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

People laugh, but thats a good idea lol It worked for the Panthers last year who spent every draft pick on defense.

I’m not laughing but I dont think ignoring the offense entirely is wise.

Id look to add at minimum an OL, WR, TE (especially if they’re looking to potentially trade Njoku) and perhaps a RB if a nice one is there day 3.

We need to take advantage of the fact that we have some talent at those positions and we actually have a chance to develop players and not force them into early PT.

We need to prepare for the inevitable departure of OBJ and Juice, be it next year or whatever.

Our OL is great, but a competent swing tackle would be huge.  

TE is a position we seem to value greatly, and it’s a slow developing position. 

If we’re going to continue to be a team that wants to run teams into the ground, a nice 3rd back allows us to continue that if/when someone gets banged up.

That still leaves 5 picks for the defense, more potentially if we trade Njoku.

• Like 4

IMO, I'd lean towards getting "deals done" for cap navigation now, with the following:

1. Re-sign Nick Chubb. He's earned it, the offense revolves around the running game, and he's one of the best in the NFL at his position.

2/3. Re-sign Wyatt Teller. He's a mauler, he's a huge reason as to why the OL/running game are so good, and "cementing" that OL for the next couple of seasons only helps. We saw what Baker was able to do down the stretch with this scheme and protection

2/3. Extend Baker Mayfield. The cap number is only going to go up, you get him on years 4 and 5 of his rookie deals in 2021 and 2022 when you have big money on the books that will be coming off with Richardson, Njoku, Juice, and OBJ, which will then give major flexibility to re-sign/keep guys like Ward and maybe Conklin, all while adding depth in the draft with soon to be "past their prime" guys over the next few years (Tretter, Bitonio) or guys who are foregone conclusions to likely leave in free agency (Hunt).

Basically, keep our talent HERE, draft depth and future replacements for the glue guys you lose, who then net you comp picks, all while setting us up for major cap flexibility over the next 6 years.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not laughing but I dont think ignoring the offense entirely is wise.

Id look to add at minimum an OL, WR, TE (especially if they’re looking to potentially trade Njoku) and perhaps a RB if a nice one is there day 3.

We need to take advantage of the fact that we have some talent at those positions and we actually have a chance to develop players and not force them into early PT.

We need to prepare for the inevitable departure of OBJ and Juice, be it next year or whatever.

Our OL is great, but a competent swing tackle would be huge.  

TE is a position we seem to value greatly, and it’s a slow developing position. 

If we’re going to continue to be a team that wants to run teams into the ground, a nice 3rd back allows us to continue that if/when someone gets banged up.

That still leaves 5 picks for the defense, more potentially if we trade Njoku.

I disagree with everything you just said except WR.

So I’m probably wrong lol

• Like 1

It’s not even been 24 hours. We’ll still sign a few players. Hopefully Von Miller gets cut loose. I’d take him or Justin Houston on a 1 or 2 year deal. Both are great talented vets. I think we sign a CB like Griffin or Poole to play the slot. Pair two of these guys with Johnson and we are in serious business. 

as far as the draft goes, we need DT, backup C to groom, OT depth and a LB.

Edited by pnies20

2 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

It’s not even been 24 hours. We’ll still sign a few players. Hopefully Von Miller gets cut loose. I’d take him or Justin Houston on a 1 or 2 year deal. Both are great talented vets. I think we sign a CB like Griffin or Poole to play the slot. Pair two of these guys with Johnson and we are in serious business. 

Vons deal is now guaranteed this year. He’s not going anywhere. 

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I disagree with everything you just said except WR.

So I’m probably wrong lol

I don't think we ignore any position but I certainly don't think our focus will be on the offensive side of the ball. If there is great value there then you take it but if it's a close call I think we go defense on any random pick.

11 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

Von is staying in Denver. The Browns only hope at getting a legit good 2nd option opposite Myles is by trading for Danielle Hunter. Outside of that the market is dry for real difference makers there.

and no, I dont view Clowney, Kerrigan or Reddick as real difference makers

Edited by AkronsWitness

3 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I don't think we ignore any position but I certainly don't think our focus will be on the offensive side of the ball. If there is great value there then you take it but if it's a close call I think we go defense on any random pick.

With most of those picks I referenced for the offense, I was referring to day 3 picks (WR I could see on day 2).

Of the 4 picks we have days one and two, I expect 3 of them to be on the defensive side of the ball.

• Like 1