Free Agency 2021

ReggieCamp

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I think people make this a bigger thing then it actually is and it is much more of a blend based on timing and not one or the other.

For example, in 2014 the Broncos in 1 off-season spent huge money on Demarcus Ware, Emmanuel Sanders, Aqib Talib and TJ Ward. This got them to 2 superbowls.

The Bucaneers last season did the same for their push with Suh, Brown, Fournette, Gronk, ect. The Saints have been notorious for adding a few splash guys to their team every year.

Not saying that spending smart is not preferred, but sometimes going for it and adding a few big ticket guys is what gets you over the top depending on your cap situation.

Those teams also had 40 year old QB’s.

Ours is 25.

I’m not saying we don’t make a push to win a ring, but I don’t think we should go “all in”.

If we’re adding talent on short term deals, sure, but I’m not going to limit future flexibility at this point.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Those teams also had 40 year old QB’s.

Ours is 25.

I’m not saying we don’t make a push to win a ring, but I don’t think we should go “all in”.

If we’re adding talent on short term deals, sure, but I’m not going to limit future flexibility at this point.

Absolutely, Im not talking about giving anybody 4-5 year deals but we can afford to overpay a few veterans on 1-2 year deals.

Take Gilmore for example, that would be a guy to target in a trade who might have 2 good years left in him that could help right now. I doubt Berry goes for it though

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Absolutely, Im not talking about giving anybody 4-5 year deals but we can afford to overpay a few veterans on 1-2 year deals.

Take Gilmore for example, that would be a guy to target in a trade who might have 2 good years left in him that could help right now. I doubt Berry goes for it though

Depending on the cost, sure.

Im not blowing a 1st on a 31 year old CB though.

Im all for using day 3 picks as trade fodder for vets who can help now.  That’s good business imo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Depending on the cost, sure.

Im not blowing a 1st on a 31 year old CB though.

Im all for using day 3 picks as trade fodder for vets who can help now.  That’s good business imo.

Im not tossing anything higher than a 3rd for Gilmore. Belichick always pays guys on what they are going to do next year, not what they did in the past and I doubt Gilmore is somehow going to get much better in his 32-33 year old years.

31 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

31 year old players who are past their prime dont seem to be Andrew Berrys thing. At least not in the initial days of FA. I could see him being a cheap veteran like BJ Goodson was towards the end of FA.

He signed clayborn last year who was the same age. I’m not saying sign him to a big deal but he could really help our terrible LB core right now. 

5 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Wait, so Mitchell signed with Houston? Would have liked to have brought him back. He's a solid backup.

I’m guessing they’re looking to save a little money on the 3rd/4th corner and will look for a rookie there.

If we sign another vet, I’m guessing it’s someone they view as a starter.