Free Agency 2021

ReggieCamp

No DC wants to be one dimensional, especially not in this offense heavy NFL but it is what it is

Due to a large focus on the offensive side of the ball as well as injuries, the Cleveland Browns defense led by Joe Woods was largely limited to Cover-3 and quarters coverage in 2020.

Losing both Grant Delpit and Greedy Williams for the season was a significant hurdle for the Browns. Their corner depth was gone and it forced Andrew Sendejo to play out of position. In an effort to survive, the Browns tried to keep most everything in front of them, avoid getting beat deep and tried to let opponents make mistakes or try to force field goal attempts.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/coverages-in-joe-woods-scheme

Watch the video of Mora talking about it, he's exactly right. We hated it, Woods hated it but you gotta do what gives you the best chance to succeed with the personnel you have 

Edited by TeHDruiD

39 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

They said on NFLN that this is the first FA visit Clowney has ever taken so apparently that means there is def. 'mutual interest' and they said a deal could happen 

I’d expect a deal after the draft. 

Some team is going to miss on getting their defensive end. That’s where Clowney can take advantage and cash out. I think we’re laying the groundwork. 

but I’d guess Clowney signs after the draft 

• Like 1

Anyone that doesn't want clowney is being too emotional after he didn't pick us last year. Would be a short deal for for less than he would have gotten last year. He's not great but would be a good stop gap and we need dline help. Would be a beast against the run.

Take emotions out of it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TeHDruiD said:

No DC wants to be one dimensional, especially not in this offense heavy NFL but it is what it is

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/coverages-in-joe-woods-scheme

Watch the video of Mora talking about it, he's exactly right. We hated it, Woods hated it but you gotta do what gives you the best chance to succeed with the personnel you have 

I agree with playing zone most of the time. I’m saying you HAVE TO play man when it calls for it. We never did. I coach at a high school that has a bunch of slow white DB’s. Zero physical talent to run with athletic teams. We play zone 99% of the time and don’t hardly ever blitz. But therr are tikes where you HAVE TO. 

How can anyone watch that Dallas game and decide that we should just trust Woods? I hope to God I’m wrong, but I don’t think it’s gonna matter who we get in here next year. If Woods is here, offenses will be gifted cheap completions all game long. 

9 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Keeping contain on Lamar helps with that against the Ravens and Clowney is athletic enough to help there.

What metric were you looking at for our run defense?  

I think we were 9th in rush yards against and 12th in yards per carry against. We were 22nd in passing yards (with a few bad weather games to help) and 21st in scoring defense.

21 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

I agree with playing zone most of the time. I’m saying you HAVE TO play man when it calls for it. We never did. I coach at a high school that has a bunch of slow white DB’s. Zero physical talent to run with athletic teams. We play zone 99% of the time and don’t hardly ever blitz. But therr are tikes where you HAVE TO. 

How can anyone watch that Dallas game and decide that we should just trust Woods? I hope to God I’m wrong, but I don’t think it’s gonna matter who we get in here next year. If Woods is here, offenses will be gifted cheap completions all game long. 

I mean, the guy has coordinated a top 3 defense and was the passing game coordinator of a super bowl team when given talent.

He clearly isn’t a complete idiot.

16 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I think we were 9th in rush yards against and 12th in yards per carry against. We were 22nd in passing yards (with a few bad weather games to help) and 21st in scoring defense.

I’m not saying we don’t need help in passing situations, that was pretty obvious just by the scrubs we trotted out there at DB. Teams never had to run on us an when they did, like the Oakland game, we were terrible.  

Im simply saying we’ve never had what anyone would consider a stout run defense and considering the Ravens are our primary competition for the AFC north next season, that’s fairly important.

I heard a stat, I believe it was on a podcast, that said something to the effect of us being the worst defense in the league against 3 TE formations, and by a margin of 10%.  Essentially, when teams lined up to run on us, we had zero answers. It was especially frustrating because they also pointed out we were the number one offense in the league using that same formation, so it’s not a matter of the coaching staff not understanding how to defend it, we know the concept well.

We simply didn’t have the players up front to make plays.

1 hour ago, nugpimpen said:

Anyone that doesn't want clowney is being too emotional after he didn't pick us last year. Would be a short deal for for less than he would have gotten last year. He's not great but would be a good stop gap and we need dline help. Would be a beast against the run.

Take emotions out of it.

Does 3 sacks the last 2 years covering 21 games not scare you a little?

He was never a sack a game guy but he was a sack every other game kind of guy. The last two years it's a sack every 7 games. I don't know anything about their schemes or what he was asked to do but the numbers alone seem to point to a downward trend, one that is fairly steep.

I'd take a chance if the price is right but I'm not paying anything close to 10 million per year. I'd probably stop at 6.5. His OTC valuation for last year was just over 2 million playing in 8 games. I suspect someone will give him more than I'd be willing on name alone. He got over 12 last year, probably still getting 9.5 somewhere this year but I wouldn't make that investment.

I guess what I’m saying is the last DE this team has had that would ne better against the run and pass that Clowney, not named Myles Garrett, would have been.... Courtney Brown?

He helps this team, immensely, all 3 downs.  And especially against the Ravens.

The passing issues were on the back end imo.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not saying we don’t need help in passing situations, that was pretty obvious just by the scrubs we trotted out there at DB. Teams never had to run on us an when they did, like the Oakland game, we were terrible.  

Im simply saying we’ve never had what anyone would consider a stout run defense and considering the Ravens are our primary competition for the AFC north next season, that’s fairly important.

I heard a stat, I believe it was on a podcast, that said something to the effect of us being the worst defense in the league against 3 TE formations, and by a margin of 10%.  Essentially, when teams lined up to run on us, we had zero answers. It was especially frustrating because they also pointed out we were the number one offense in the league using that same formation, so it’s not a matter of the coaching staff not understanding how to defend it, we know the concept well.

We simply didn’t have the players up front to make plays.

We do need to get better against the run, I wouldn't argue that. I just don't think fixing our run defense would do a lot in helping our overall defense. Getting guys who can be effective against both would be ideal but if I lean one way or the other give me pass defenders because unless you are playing the Ravens that's likely how teams are going to try to beat you.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I guess what I’m saying is the last DE this team has had that would ne better against the run and pass that Clowney, not named Myles Garrett, would have been.... Courtney Brown?

He helps this team, immensely, all 3 downs.  And especially against the Ravens.

The passing issues were on the back end imo.

Yeah, Clowney a few years ago was pretty decent. He hasn't offered that same thing the last couple years. Maybe Garrett bring that back to him, maybe his stats were good because of Watt and we could expect the same. I certainly see him more of a question mark than a certainty and that's ignoring injury concerns.