Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

21 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I doubt that

If you are just wearing a mask in the sun there is no issue. The concern would only arise if you were performing a lot of strenuous activity like working outdoors, and even then masks would barely increase it. Heat stroke is caused when the body has trouble regulating heat. Masks would only effect that if you were wearing something heavy duty that trapped hot breath and limited your faces ability to sweat off some heat. But again, its a small AF increase and almost negligible. If you are wearing a cloth mask, your risk is the same. If you are doing outside work or have health conditions that make you susceptible to heat stroke you should be taking precautions regardless, mask or no mask. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Why do you doubt that?

Why do you think wearing a mask would increase the risk of heat stroke?

Just by the difference of having the mask on vs off.  Maybe it's not fitted right but it's a big relief to take it off

11 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Just by the difference of having the mask on vs off.  Maybe it's not fitted right but it's a big relief to take it off

Yeah I mean... It's going to be hot with the mask on but thats not going to increase your chance of a heat stroke lol

• Like 1

18 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Wearing a mask in the sun in Florida. How much does the chance of heat stroke increase?

You're more likely to be attacked by an alligator while getting stuck by lightning with a winning lottery ticket in your back pocket.

I live in Houston, arguably one of the hottest, humid cities in the United States (if not the world). Temperatures range anywhere between 95-115 starting in April/May, and doesn't end until Halloween (give or take). Heat related deaths are a thing, but heat related deaths due to a mask? Zero. None. Literally nobody. Heck, pre-pandemic you'd have masked cyclists riding 180 miles from Houston to Austin for the MS-150 (you had to wear a mask, you'd choke on dust and debris if you didn't). Not a single mask related heat death among the 5,000+ riders.

So, sleep better knowing you're safe. Hope this is a load off your mind.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

You're more likely to be attacked by an alligator while getting stuck by lightning with a winning lottery ticket in your back pocket.

I live in Houston, arguably one of the hottest, humid cities in the United States (if not the world). Temperatures range anywhere between 95-115 starting in April/May, and doesn't end until Halloween (give or take). Heat related deaths are a thing, but heat related deaths due to a mask? Zero. None. Literally nobody. Heck, pre-pandemic you'd have masked cyclists riding 180 miles from Houston to Austin for the MS-150 (you had to wear a mask, you'd choke on dust and debris if you didn't). Not a single mask related heat death among the 5,000+ riders.

So, sleep better knowing you're safe. Hope this is a load off your mind.

I see guys jogging in 100 degree heat with those stupid altitude training masks, so yes...It is safe to say you aren't at risk of a freaking heat stroke because of a thin layer of cloth over your mouth and nose.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Uncomfortable doesn't mean dangerous. Getting an MRI is uncomfortable... but it's not going to kill you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm gonna use this line of logic to see if I can convince my girlfriend that bras cause heat stroke. Wish me luck boys.

If that works, might as well try to convince her that condoms cause heat stroke

• Like 2