Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

39 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Kind of lazy they don't tell me the exact number. 

Not sure they can give you an exact number, and not sure an exact number means all that much. There are limits to every test and the one you took is probably more of a screening test. Where the results are closer to a yes/no answer than spitting out a precise number 427.69883. The results are likely a range like " >500  or <2000 "

These tests passed FDA review and are calibrated with an internal standard- but we don't know enough about the other test parameters and +/-  limitations.  Ideally what you'd also like to see is a series of tests over a few days - because trends are more useful than a single data point if you really want to know your antibody levels.

Long story short...if you want to reach useful conclusions ...it would require additional work.

And if you think about it - that makes sense given the urgency around developing the test and deploying it across the globe. That's typical for a lot of immunology- based tests ... an initial screening type test and then if they see a positive and want more info - they can deploy a different more accurate test. But it doesn't make sense to spend that extra money unless there is a positive in the screening round.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Not sure they can give you an exact number, and not sure an exact number means all that much.

They can't, and the exact number would be a titer.

@BayRaider, the assays only work at a certain range, and they calibrate it so that as many people will be in the range as possible. You broke the scale on the positive side. Congrats, the results don't get better than that.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 11:30 AM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

How many times do I have to say this is based on the timing of immune response and is not a measure of the strength of immune response before this sinks in?

Probably another 8, at least

• Like 1

What are people’s takes on gyms? I’ve been working out at home for a year and a half now and I’m getting pretty sick of it to be honest. Debating with my high tilter that I’ll just risk it. Can’t be much worse than where I work. 

40 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

What are people’s takes on gyms? I’ve been working out at home for a year and a half now and I’m getting pretty sick of it to be honest. Debating with my high tilter that I’ll just risk it. Can’t be much worse than where I work. 

Fitness is such a large part of my life, and being forced to forego the gym for almost fifteen months was absolutely detrimental to my well-being.

The science is likely against it, but I go to the gym now.  I know: not ideal — but I decided the risks were worth it at this juncture for the sake of my mental health as long as I do everything possible to mitigate the risks.  Fully vaccinated, wearing a mask, avoids others, etc.

Anecdotal (and influenced by many other factors), but I am regularly tested for COVID, and have not had it since I returned to the gym in May.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BayRaider said:

You're good with that titer.

I work out early enough that my gym is usually not crowded, which makes socially distancing automatic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You're good with that titer.

I work out early enough that my gym is usually not crowded, which makes socially distancing automatic.

Yup - getting to the gym at 4am makes it easy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Hard disagree although I do feel bad for the employees it displaces 

Not having to checkout in front of someone else is great. Having to do the work yourself is annoying. Doing the work for free so that someone else can make money off of it is more annoying.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Not having to checkout in front of someone else is great. Having to do the work yourself is annoying. Doing the work for free so that someone else can make money off of it is more annoying.

I'm a very clearly single guy and I don't want to feel the judgement from the cashier(however deserved it is) when I'm buying 4 pints of Ben and Jerrys. 

• Like 5

The FDA’s independent advisers will meet Oct. 14 and Oct. 15 to discuss greenlighting booster doses of the Moderna and Johnson & Johnson vaccines, followed by the CDC’s independent advisory committee on Oct. 20 and 21. Separately, the CDC panel will convene Nov. 2 and 3 to discuss pediatric vaccinations.

• Like 2

French study of over 22m people finds vaccines cut severe Covid risk by 90%.

Largest study of its kind also finds vaccines appear to protect against worst effects of Delta variant.

The research published on Monday also found that vaccines appear to protect against the worst effects of the most prevalent virus strain, the Delta variant.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/11/french-study-vaccines-cut-covid-deaths

Greg Abbot ban vaccine mandates even for private companies.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.axios.com/texas-bans-vaccine-mandates-82b05806-55b4-4cfa-a9ac-ba1959cd235b.html

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott issued an executive order Monday prohibiting COVID-19 vaccine mandates by any "entity," including employers, if someone objects to the vaccine for "any reason of personal conscience."