Covid-19 News/Discussion

bucsfan333

6 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Don't deny it. Will be interesting to see if more info like this comes out. 

I would be very surprised if there was an over count on deaths. If anything, all signs point to an under count.

11 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Don't deny it. Will be interesting to see if more info like this comes out. 

17 hours ago, TVScout said:

NOT COVID 

Quarter of virus deaths were not caused by Covid as official figures show deadly bug was not primary cause.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/6963902/quarter-covid-deaths-not-caused-by-virus/

14 hours ago, Xenos said:

Not the most reliable news source.

I don't really get involved in the 'what the true death toll is' debate. I saw the savageness of this virus first-hand. Whether it's a bit higher or a bit lower is inconsequential when you've actually worked a COVID ICU, and also rcvd daily updates with what's going on at your hospital.

This virus put my hospital on its toes. We were holding patients in our children's hospital for Christ sakes. Patients were so sick it'd take them over a month to be sent home from the ICU. We lost a nurse to COVID. Nurses who were in great shape caught the virus, were f*cked up for a few weeks, couldn't smell **** for months, and also were winded for a long as time. I've heard nurse managers tear up while talking about how much of an effect this pandemic is having on them and their staff. Truly heartbreaking times. 

Given how many people I saw ventilated on my unit  on Christmas Eve (that day still ****s with me to this day)- I'd venture a guess this virus was as deadly as the numbers say- if not more, but I do NOT have to guess how savage this virus has been to our community. I lived it. 

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I'm not going to talk about this or debate it with anyone, but there's this info about The Sun: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-sun/

Since The Sun posted this article on the 14th, I would assume that the "Data from the Office for National Statistics" would be in a release within the last month. I could not find such a release and The Sun doesn't link to any source.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/

I tried searching for "23", "twenty", "quarter", and "infection" among others. Nothing returned any related release from the Office for National Statistics. Show me the source.

I also like one caption that The Sun uses for a graphic that states: "Office for National Statistics data shows that almost one in four deaths with Covid on the certificate in the week ending April 2 "involved" Covid, meaning Covid was not the primary cause of death". Again, no source and trying to state a fact that isn't.

I too looked for this data ANYWHERE and it flat does not exist. BS article that shouldnt be spread around. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I too looked for this data ANYWHERE and it flat does not exist. BS article that shouldnt be spread around. 

The Daily Telegraph has an article with basically the same headline, but you have to pay to read it.

52 minutes ago, mission27 said:

As the MoL predicted tbh

That is just J&J, not vaccines in general. Obviously perception would decrease for the paused vaccine. I'd be more curious to see overall change in perception for vaccines in general. 

1 hour ago, Blackstar12 said:

I’m getting my first shot next Wednesday. For those of you that got the shot how long did you guys wait before working out and lifting?

The first shot I had zero issues with working out. The second dose Ingot Sunday morning and felt good enough to lift Wednesday. 

• Like 1

J&J may have bad public perception now but we still have two other vaccines, and NovaVax which should be available anywhere from May to December (wide date range... should be wayyy sooner than December though, just a safe date). The NovaVax one is pretty interesting, especially since it's the only confirmed Vaccine to be effective against the South African strain so far. 

The only vaccine that is completely traditional method with dead/inactivated virus (which takes the longest of any method) is Sinovac. Although that is probably a rushed mess and I wouldn't trust China's ethical procedures.