Drew Brees is not a top 10 QB of all time. Change my mind.

mdonnelly21

Is Drew Brees A Top 10 QB of All Time?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Is Drew Brees A Top 10 QB of All Time?

2 hours ago, Chargers said:

Why have Unitas when he isn't even a modern era QB? Why not Sammy Baugh or Graham if you're willing to go that far back?

Bingo. All we have to put guys like Unitas on the board is 2nd hand accounts. 

How is Brees any different than Favre, if I may ask? 

Hmmm.

1. Brady

2. Montana

3. Manning

4. Brett Favre

5. Johnny Unitas

6. Steve Young

7. Roger Staubach

8. Aaron Rodgers

9. Drew Brees

10. Dan Marino

11. Otto Graham

12. John Elway

Little lower on Marino than most, no Super Bowls, and much of his work people look at is '84-'86. He had a few really good years in the 90's as well, but many QB's were much more consistent than Marino, including Brees.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, LieutenantGains said:

I've noticed if someone rates Brees high, they also tend to rate Marino and Tarkenton highly.

You kind of have to because all three of them were the stat kings of their era. Though Marino was the most impressive. 

Realistically Brees is either just in or just outside the top 10. 

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Bingo. All we have to put guys like Unitas on the board is 2nd hand accounts. 

How is Brees any different than Favre, if I may ask? 

You can watch games with Unitas. Even if you don't he practically invented the modern QB position and is the template everyone follows plus he has the accolades. Also it's an "all time" list. If you are going to create an arbitrary cutoff to get Brees on, then you already distorted the whole "all time" part, which defeats he purpose. 

Farve has 3 MVP's, an extra Super Bowl appearance, and was the NFL Ironman. He also retired nearly all the volume stats. 

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

Recency bias seems strong in this one. People quickly forget how unstoppable Brees was for a 12-13 year stretch.

It’s like the people that talk about how Brees was just a stat padder playing in games that didn’t matter, but don’t want to talk about how he’s 2nd all-time in game winning drives. Or how he played on multiple squads historically bad defenses who blew leads like they all had Brees on their fantasy rosters. 

That’s a lot of game winning drives for a stat padder, you have to play in a LOT of close games to get that many GWDs.  

So either Brees played in just as many close games as other QBs, or Brees is just on a completely different level as a closer, like the GOAT closer. You can’t have it both ways.

Every all-time great is going to deal with recency bias and it just gets worse with time, or just flat out people who want their bad takes to be heard. Cause some of those guys post here too.

And I’m not saying that excluding Brees from the top-10 all-time is even a bad take, he’s on the fringe. But it wouldn’t surprise me if someone comes in here and claims Brees wasn’t even top 25 or some nonsense.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

And I should say people had a similar reaction when Manning sucked in his last season. I remember the “Manning was overrated threads” that year and when he retired. 

Can you imagine if Brady’s offensive line didn’t show up in the Super Bowl last month? Say he puts up 189 yards while going 15/29 with an even TD:INT ratio. 

I can just imagine the “Was Brady ever actually good?” threads that would’ve popped up.

I'm a Falcons fan. 

I despise the Saints

I don't like New Orleans

I can't stand Louisiana

I hate Drew Brees

I literally LOATHE Drew Brees

I despise everything about Drew Brees.

I'd rate him 4th all time behind Marino, Peyton Manning and Brady.

Edited by scar988
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, scar988 said:

I'm a Falcons fan. 

I despise the Saints

I don't like New Orleans

I can't stand Louisiana

I hate Drew Brees

I literally LOATHE Drew Brees

I despise everything about Drew Brees.

I'd rate him 4th all time behind Marino, Peyton Manning and Brady.

You like Sean Payton though, right? Like as a person, you don’t have to respect him as an offensive mind.

• Like 1