Falcons Pick at 4

goldfishwars

Who should they pick?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who should they pick?

• QBOTF - Fields/Lance
    • Best Non QB - Sewell/Pitts (For Example)
    • Trade Back

Just now, Jeezla said:

So one 1st round rookie is what's going to make or break the D?

Trading down and adding 4-5 premium picks could be a massive influx of young talent to the defense.

If Field is at 4 they are going to take someone’s lunch money.

They will likely have 3 top 50 picks this year and 4 next year.

Just now, WindyCity said:

Trading down and adding 4-5 premium picks could be a massive influx of young talent to the defense.

If Field is at 4 they are going to take someone’s lunch money.

They will likely have 3 top 50 picks this year and 4 next year.

Adding 4-5 premium picks isn't the same as 4-5 premium players. They might blow every one of them.

Just now, Jeezla said:

Adding 4-5 premium picks isn't the same as 4-5 premium players. They might blow every one of them.

Sure, the QB might suck as well.

But chances are they don’t blow all of them and they add some legit defensive players.

Having more picks is a positive thing. The best way to get that is to fleece someone moving up for a QB. The Dolphins are putting on a clinic in that regard.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

Sure, the QB might suck as well.

But chances are they don’t blow all of them and they add some legit defensive players.

Having more picks is a positive thing. The best way to get that is to fleece someone moving up for a QB. The Dolphins are putting on a clinic in that regard.

Having a young QB on a rookie deal is a positive thing

21 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Are QB's getting sacked less compared to 10 years ago?

Can I see your doctorate? And the notes for the science experiment you conducted on QB longevity?

Have you ever considered you're just a homer, living on a prayer?

Actually considering you don't know much about me at all except for what little you have talked to me in this thread.  You wouldn't know that im one of the 1st people to call out falcons players when i think they are garbage and call out the team when their playing like trash.  I absolutely hate homerism and pride myself on being more of a realist.  Sometimes this pisses off fellow falcon fans and has gotten me called a troll more than a few times.   So the fact you think of me as a homer just based on 1 thing i have said about ryan is quite funny to me.   I can guarantee you the second i see ryan not being able to get the job done and falling off a cliff i'll be the 1st one to tell him to pack his bags and move on no matter how well he has played for the team over the years.   It actually wouldn't surprise me if you are a homer of the eagles more than me as a Falcon fan i do alot of crap talking about players that are struggling lol.

To this point the man hasn't proven he can't get the job done nor is he really slowing down that says i need to replace him so until he does im not gonna act like he needs to be moved on or replaced.     Julio on the other hand where as i love him as a player and a person has been getting injured more and more lately and if it happens again and he misses half the season it very well might be time to move on from him but we will see.

As far as the sacks thing goes theirs no way you can set there and tell me that QB's aren't more protected right now than they have been in the past.  If you do you are a flat out liar. As thats been one of the biggest gripes from the majority of fans over the last 4 or 5 years is how you can't even touch them without getting a penalty.  So yes they are taking much less dangerous hits than past QB's and taking alot less punishment.    For god sakes you can't even barely touch the dudes helmet with a finger without it being a penalty anymore thats just ridiculous. 

9 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Having a young QB on a rookie deal is a positive thing

Only if you actually use and play the QB where as him sitting on a bench for 3 years is not a positive thing.  By the time you actually use him he's gonna be due a massive contract with only 1 year of play showing you what you got. 

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

If he is good.

You would be closing the Ryan/Julio era.

The defense is not taking any kind of major step without a ton of draft capital invested 

Problem with that is our new GM decided to fully keep the Ryan era open by restructuring his contract.   Even if we cut him in 2022 we owe him 40 mil in dead cap space and like 20 to 25 mil dead cap space in 2023.   Either way were screwed with the cap with no extra money to add to the defense and help the young QB out.   This is why im with you in that we need more draft picks.  So we can actually find a way to add players to the defense and offense so for when we do take a new QB we actually have some good young talent around him to help him out.    I don't think they understand that i actually did want a QB in this draft to begin with before our new GM restructured Ryans contract.  I was all for  Wilson or Fields at 4 when i knew we could get out of Ryans contract next offseason but we can't anymore.   

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Why would it take 2 years to rebuild the defense?

A good draft and they could be good enough to compete with the Falcons offense.

They don’t need to be dominant, they need to be average.

I don't think you understand how bad this defense is right now. 

I agree that the Falcons are tied to Matty Ice for the next 2 years at least and they likely don't go QB, but thinking Ryan won't start declining until he's in his mid 40's is the epitome of wishful thinking.  I think they either take a trade down that pisses off the fan base because they wanted more or stay at 4 and take OL.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, scar988 said:

This isn't shocking. QB is a legitimate consideration for the No. 4 overall pick. They've also been at Kyle Pitts' pro day with the full allotment of guys.

I could be wrong, but were you before saying you thought there was no way they'd take a QB to sit behind Ryan for two+ years? 

57 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I could be wrong, but were you before saying you thought there was no way they'd take a QB to sit behind Ryan for two+ years? 

That was like 2-3 months ago. Things change when you start to see the patterns exhibited by the team... 

13 hours ago, scar988 said:

Naw. 9 + 40 + 2022 1st

Make that a '22 SRP, and that's probably closer.  Based on the TVC, 9/40 is worth more than 4, and then throwing on a 4th seems like overkill even when taking into account that QB premium.

• Like 1