Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

what does this have to do with now?  He's the MVP

Because from a business perspective before you decide to put forward money that would bind you to a player for x amount of years, you need to ask yourself "Am I getting 2020 Aaron Rodgers or am I getting 2017-2019 Aaron Rodgers" - It matters, even in a "What have you done for me lately" league. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Then why are teams lining up to send multiple first round picks and players to secure this player on this contract.

The contract a team would be getting is great.... signing bonus stays with GB

Roughly half of the players in the NFL overperform their contracts, and roughly half underperform them.  Very few players are correctly valuated.  None of this is ever addressed unless it comes time for a player to sign a new contract (or for a team to waive a player).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I would think 5 1sts is the asking price in a vacuum.  Depends who the players are.  Raiders don't have a lot of good players tbh.

2 1sts and Russ is the deal I'd be excited to take right now (btw that offer is NOT coming).  

1st round picks in 2022, 2023, 2024 + 3rd round picks in 2022, 2023 +
4th round pick in 2024. + Clelin Ferrel and Trevon Moerhig. 

my only worry is whoever you trade Rodgers to immediately becomes a better team and thus will have a better record and lower draft picks. If we could trade him to a terrible team that would be better. 

Just now, Nick_gb said:

Because from a business perspective before you decide to put forward money that would bind you to a player for x amount of years, you need to ask yourself "Am I getting 2020 Aaron Rodgers or am I getting 2017-2019 Aaron Rodgers" - It matters, even in a "What have you done for me lately" league. 

Exactly. If he'd pushed hard for an extension after a 2021 at least near 2020 levels, maybe I commit to an extension. Show me that isn't an outlier.

Just now, incognito_man said:

did he give money back the 2 seasons before when he grossly underperormed?

lol, I'll never get over this take...

Grossly underperformed your expectations and the insane standard he set for himself, sure.  Underperformed his contract? no, not really.  He got injured in 2017... so, yeah that's part of the reason he wants some security with GB.

He played at a level well above kirk cousins, which was what his contract valued him as. 

Rodgers' down years are other guys' career years, as he said it so smugly himself.

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

The contract a team would be getting is great.... signing bonus stays with GB

it's great even if he stays in GB.  If all parties are on-board with the trade, they can re-do the deal to convert the money into base salary and make it more GB friendly in a trade.

Gotta feeling when push comes to shove and IF the Packers trade Rodgers, Murphy is going to sell the Packers short.

Gute is going to be a bulldog and dig in on a trade deal and demand this or that over a period of time.    Softy Murphy gets tired of the whole thing and the PR aspect of it,, comes in a gives him away on a deal that will leave Packer fans scratching their heads.  Just like Robert Kraft giving Garrappalo to SF. 

"We wanted to thank Aaron with this trade for his career in Green Bay"

Watch!!! 😬

Edited by NFLGURU

4 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I'm just glad the market for star QBs is as depressed as it is, and that Rodgers never chanced it like Kirk Cousins.

Yet still, in this depressed market (which is there for a reason, like lowered salary caps, teams not being able to win while paying megacontracts, etc.) you want to take the guy that has the highest cap hit in 2021 BY FAR (16% more than the next QB) and increase his salary?

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2021/

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

it's great even if he stays in GB.  If all parties are on-board with the trade, they can re-do the deal to convert the money into base salary and make it more GB friendly in a trade.

GB still has a $37M cap hit in 2021 with Rodgers on the roster.   IF traded, the new team is at like $15M.  

1 is a great contract, 1 is fair value for an MVP

20 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I would think 5 1sts is the asking price in a vacuum.  Depends who the players are.  Raiders don't have a lot of good players tbh.

2 1sts and Russ is the deal I'd be excited to take right now (btw that offer is NOT coming).  

With Denver you're asking for Surtain and Jeudy 

9 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

yeah that's the team's side of the argument.  Rodgers' side is "im the MVP".  the reality will be somewhere in the middle.

The packers already offered him an extension, it just wasn't up to his standards/expectations.  The packers already believe he's underpaid or undervalued or w/e term you want to use otherwise they wouldn't offer him an extension.

Unless the extension was just cap fluff with void years or something, and the "extension" is a myth.