Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

9 minutes ago, Chili said:

Some of Rodgers supposed gripes happened under MM and TT, Why did he not kick up a fuss then?

Now Gute is getting the brunt of all the built up frustrations from Rodgers.

Gute did alot to help Rodgers. First of all he hired the right HC that ran a system which was well suited to our players, most notably Aaron Jones. It created a solid running game to help compliment the pass and give balance to the offence. It made things easier instead putting all responsibility on Rodgers to pull stuff out of a hat. It helped rejuvenate Rodgers abit doing new things instead of the same old tired stuff from MM. Not only that Gute slowly sorted out the defence keeping scores lower making it easier for Rodgers to achieve winnable points targets.

It was also Gute who offered Rodgers that big contract making him a very rich man as well as making him feel a valued member of the franchise.

It was TT fault that we did not invest a high draft pick on a WR for a long time. He kept investing high draft picks on defence, mostly on corners and made a huge mess out of it. When Gute came along he had no choice but to continue investing on defence, and figured correctly we could get by with Rodgers throwing to Adams and some low rounders.

It was MM who fired or did not renew (depending which story you believe) Rodgers QB coach. MM had total control over his coaching staff. It was his decision. Gute controlled the roster but MM the staff was all his. TBF Gute just took over the Packer GM job and it would not surprise me if he pressured MM to make some changes, especially firing Capers but ultimately at the end of the day it was MM decision. MM was still an important, respected and powerful figure at Lombardi Avenue and I don't think Gute wanted to rock the boat too much that's why he went along with keeping McCarthy for one more year. I don't think it's fair to pin the blame on Gute.

Gute was the one who had to choose between Nelson and Cobb as he needed cap flexibility to sort out the mess TT made. He cut Nelson and Cobb left for FA a year later. So far it looks like he made the right decisions on both. Personally I would've kept Nelson for longer instead of signing Graham. Gute was a rookie GM still finding his feet at the time and he probably was too pragmatic in his approach when he should've valued the Rodgers-Nelson connection alot more.

Gute was the one who cut Graham which Rodgers was supposedly unhappy about despite Rodgers not using him very effectively but Gute was also the one who brought Graham to GB so he should be thanking him for it.

Gute was the one who cut Kumerow, everyone knew it was coming and yet Rodgers the day before cutdown day he went in front of the media to vouch for Kumerow. Rodgers was just simply positioning himself to get offended. I thought at the time it was a very strange public display of support for a guy who he barely throws to anyway.

Gute was the one who drafted Love but any good GM worth their salt would not pass up on the opportunity to draft the next franchise QB, especially at Rodgers age. Better to be proactive rather than reactive like New England. Good QBs like that do not normally fall this far down in the draft and he was just simply being proactive and protecting the franchise with this pick, especially after he exhausted all opportunities to trade up for a WR. Rodgers was still the guy, he was still being paid big bucks. Rodgers had nothing to worry about. If he was still playing at a high level then we would've probably traded Love somewhere down the line.

Maybe there could've been better communication but surely that's not a big enough reason to blow up your entire relationship with the Packers.

maybe I'm mis-remembering. But wasn't there a story that Rodgers and MM went to Murphy and went to bat for Gutey to be GM when Russ Ball was the "supposed" favorite?

• Like 1

Just now, Packerraymond said:

When we trade Rodgers post June 1, do you spend that money to try and bolster the year 1 lineup for Love? Or roll it into next year for a healthier situation next off-season?

My temptation is to totally tank without getting love hurt

• Like 2

Personally I think LaFleur made a mistake with the FG call. Mathmatically he was probably correct to do what he did but ultimately it boils down to this:

Do you want the ball in Rodgers hands or in Brady's? It's as simple as that. I knew once we put the ball in Brady's hands we would never get the ball back. LaFleur should've gone all in with Rodgers, that's what you're supposed to do when you have a QB having one of the best seasons of his career. Just go all in with him at that very moment and no-one will blame you if it didn't work out.

Edited by Chili

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

When we trade Rodgers post June 1, do you spend that money to try and bolster the year 1 lineup for Love? Or roll it into next year for a healthier situation next off-season?

Roll it into next off-season. We've got a good enough foundation to keep the season afloat under Love.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The FA market seems pretty dry right now. I mean, which player(s) do you see available that we might blow 15-20m on? 

i don’t think they have much choice except to roll it over. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Yup.  His 3 cone was amazing too.  4.46 40.  6.81 3 cone.  36 inch vertical.  10 feet 6 inches on the broad.  And none of that showed up on the field.

Unreal. He looks crippled on returns

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Funchess was the #1 WR in Carolina his last 2 seasons. He also didn't sign for the league minimum. I applaud your enthusiasm, but you should consider that people can read both your posts and reality.

Also, good point about Wagner. In addition to having the #1 LT in the league, the F.O. identified and signed one of the best value FA signings in 2020 with a top 5 RT performance out of Rick Wagner for pennies on the dollar. You're just proving my point more lol.

Do you really not feel shame or embarrassment?

Glad I could help.  I'd be mad too if I thought Qb was the only position on the roster that we were 2 deep with all pros at.

I  mean Devin Funchess is a 25 year old had to settle for back to back 1 year deals because of how awful of a football player he is.  You seem willing to ignore 100% of his NFL career and because he's a Packer anoint him as a #1 WR in the NFL.  You must view these Packer rosters as some of the most talented rosters in NFL history if that's the bar you've set for players to be great in your eyes.  

Just now, Chili said:

Just go all in with him at that very moment and no-one will blame you if it didn't work out.

It's pretty hard to blame him for the situation regardless.  Packers were in a really dire spot - 4th and goal from the 8 and needing a 2 pointer to tie.  Brady is getting the ball regardless of what you call there. 

Are you playing for a slim possibility at OT and the need to stop Brady with a full 2 mins and a full compliment of TOs at a mere FG?  Or are you playing for a shot to win in regulation by stopping 2 first downs and getting the ball back.

If it were on the 1 or 2, Brady doesn't have the full play sheet available in the event of a turnover on downs.  But from the 7 it probably plays out the same - except with an 8 point bucs win rather than 5.

2 minutes ago, SSG said:

Glad I could help.  I'd be mad too if I thought Qb was the only position on the roster that we were 2 deep with all pros at.

I  mean Devin Funchess is a 25 year old had to settle for back to back 1 year deals because of how awful of a football player he is.  You seem willing to ignore 100% of his NFL career and because he's a Packer anoint him as a #1 WR in the NFL.  You must view these Packer rosters as some of the most talented rosters in NFL history if that's the bar you've set for players to be great in your eyes.  

hush hush now

8 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I don't think Funchess is in any way better than Lazard.  And I'm not a big Lazard guy.

even if they are equal, having two of those guys on the roster/field is better than the zero we had of them most of the season.

When your QB is making MVP money, Funchess is EXACTLY the type of FA signing that should make Rodgers giddy. A former #1 WR on a value contract due to circumstances.