Report: Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

Jaire_Island

I wonder how much of what's going on here is a "position solidarity" thing.  It's pretty clear that NFL players can't "force trades" like NBA players, even if they are superstars.  If they were, then Houston and Seattle would be looking for new QBs this year.   But if anybody can force a trade in the NFL just because he wants it, it's an MVP QB with an understandable grievance.

It's sort of like how RBs hitting free agency kept wanting to "reset the RB market"

So Andrew Brandt surmises that if the Packers were to trade Rodgers, due to Cap issues, it would more likely be in 2022 than now. That sounds like the best take I've heard. If this proves to be what happens, then I wonder if this affects the Packers approach to the draft this year, e.g., drafting more for the longterm and players that fit with Love? 

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Maybe I'm alone on my own hill here, but here's my take. Pay 12 whatever the **** he wants and give Love a swift kick in the *** out of town. Then you apologize to 12 for doubting him in the first place. Guy has carried this organization on his back for 15 years and Gute, for one night, thought he was the smartest guy in the room, and now his house is on fire. The end. 

So well said. Gutey being absolutely stupid ,can't admit he made a mistake. Unless his marching orders are coming from the top he needs to be let go . If not then Murphy has to go. After 30 years of hof qb's and only three superbowls (not spoiled ,fan since the early 70's ) because we always seem to draft for the future. Our top brass has taken advantage of the fact we are the best fan base in pro sports. This twice now (maybe) albeit different circumstances that we have a franchise qb wanting to leave. If this h happens it's time to find new leadership.

1 minute ago, mtsportsfan1 said:

So well said. Gutey being absolutely stupid ,can't admit he made a mistake. Unless his marching orders are coming from the top he needs to be let go . If not then Murphy has to go. After 30 years of hof qb's and only three superbowls (not spoiled ,fan since the early 70's ) because we always seem to draft for the future. Our top brass has taken advantage of the fact we are the best fan base in pro sports. This twice now (maybe) albeit different circumstances that we have a franchise qb wanting to leave. If this h happens it's time to find new leadership.

This is a bad take.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, mtsportsfan1 said:

Bestest most entitled fanbase ever.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DWhitehurst said:

So Andrew Brandt surmises that if the Packers were to trade Rodgers, due to Cap issues, it would more likely be in 2022 than now. That sounds like the best take I've heard. If this proves to be what happens, then I wonder if this affects the Packers approach to the draft this year, e.g., drafting more for the longterm and players that fit with Love? 

This has always been the case just by looking at AR's contract.  If he doesn't get his extension, next year a trade is very much in play.  Love will have to show something before that happens.  12 doesn't have as much leverage as he thinks unless he would actually be willing to sit out, which would be worthy of all this drama.  Until then, he the highest paid QB with 3 years left under contract. We will be drafting for the future, as always.

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cannondale said:

"The Packers said they would trade Rodgers in the off season but backed off"

Translation: Love blows

Or simpler explanation - the Trey Wingo report (which is in direct opposition to a far more plugged in source working for the same network) is complete nonsense.

Just now, Mr Anonymous said:

Or simpler explanation - the Trey Wingo report (which is in direct opposition to a far more plugged in source working for the same network) is complete nonsense.

I'm just rolling with every rumor until we find out which ones are true

But Love couldn't beat out Boyle ....