Julio Jones on the Falcons: "I'm outta there, man"

Turnobili

10 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Players love Cam. He's probably been one of the most popular QB's amongst players since he's been in the league. Through all his ups and downs. Also say what you want about Belichick but he's the most renowned coach in the league, consistently puts together a top tier defense, and his team is always well prepared and competes, something that you can't say about the Falcons recently... and if you are Julio, their biggest need was WR and he's Julio Jones. 

I'm not debating anything you said, but Cam hasn't shown what so ever he still has it, nor has Bellichick built a respectable offensive roster the past 3-4 years. 

1 hour ago, Tk3 said:

Was just my opinion that the gap between Julio and Mike Williams + co is significant

Herbert/Julio/Allen with Ekelar at running back is an elite offensive group IMO

Maybe 5 years ago it would be a significant difference. But given his age, injury history, declining production, and cost……no thanks!

6 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Maybe 5 years ago it would be a significant difference. But given his age, injury history, declining production, and cost……no thanks!

It's definitely fair to say "cost isn't worth it"

But you're crazy if you think he's not a big upgrade on the field

Just now, Tk3 said:

It's definitely fair to say "cost isn't worth it"

But you're crazy if you think he's not a big upgrade on the field

He’s 32 and can’t stay on the field. I don’t see that big upgrade anymore.

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

No idea. Doesn’t make much sense to me. I had Atlanta pegged as a wildcard team. That offense would of been Top 5 if Julio stays. And their young defense started geling the second half of the season. 

I feel like you been pegging them as a playoff team for the past 3 years.

What does Julio have left?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/05/24/monday-afternoon-quarterback-julio-jones-trade-block

• The piece relating to what Jones has left in the tank is fascinating, because that’s very much a moving target, and goes directly to his health. Jones suffered a Jones fracture preparing for the 2011 combine—a foot injury that he’s needed to manage, really, for the duration of his 10-year career. He’s also had knee issues. And the totality of it led to astute defensive coaches picking up on routes he could and couldn’t run when those problems were bothering him. With the foot, he’d have trouble on in-breaking routes. With the knee, he’d have trouble cutting off it. In both cases, patterns emerged where the Falcons were working scheme-wise around those injuries, moving Jones around a lot and not putting him in disadvantageous spots. So if you’re a team trading for him, it’s definitely not been an all-the-time thing, but you’d have the prospect of dealing with that. And then, there’s how all that might affect Jones’s ability to practice, an issue that could become bigger going to a new team where he has to learn a new system and mesh with a new quarterback. Now, all of that said: When healthy, in flashes, he’s still looked like the same guy and has the straight-line speed to threaten down the field. “I think he’s still Julio in the sense that can change a game, whether it’s with his actual ability, or his perceived ability,” said one pro scouting director. “People still have to pay attention to him. But the last couple years, when he’s not healthy, you’re limited with what he can do within the offense, since there are certain routes he can’t run. That limits where they line him up, and some coordinators are smart enough to figure out what he can and can’t run.” Add his age into the equation, and while it’s easy to see where Jones is still really enticing as a player, it’s just as simple figuring why other teams would move with trepidation on this one, especially when looking at what he might be down the line.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

I feel like you been pegging them as a playoff team for the past 3 years.

He’s really, really bad at predictions. We don’t need to rehash them though.

as a falcons fan, I get your broader point. The falcons have had enough good players over the last few years to actually be good. It they simply haven’t been more often than not. 

28 minutes ago, Xenos said:

He’s 32 and can’t stay on the field. I don’t see that big upgrade anymore.

*shrug*

9 games of Julio is better than 16 games of any Chargers receiver not named Keenan Allen

Like I said, its fair that you think the cost is too steep. But to think he isn't a serious upgrade over Mike Williams is delusional