Mahomes Shooting for 20-0

onejayhawk

Patrick Mahomes says he is shooting for a perfect 20-0 season. How seriously do you take him? If it were anyone but Mahomes, I would blow it off. The guy is 44-10 and three losses are to Tom Brady.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10004265-patrick-mahomes-says-hes-eyeing-20-0-season-with-chiefs-that-would-be-awesome

Edited by onejayhawk

I take him 100% seriously in terms of believing that is a goal, and something he believes the team he plays for is capable of. 

Do I take him seriously in the sense of being confident it's actually going to happen? Not really. In that regard I take him essentially as seriously as I took a couple teams quarterbacked by Manning and their likelihood of a perfect season. I take it less seriously than I took the 2007 Patriots from going 19-0. But I give it a better chance than I gave every other team I didn't mention having a perfect season since I started watching and understanding football in the early 2000's. 

For whatever all that is worth. The Chiefs are a tremendous team. They have a ton of elite talent. They have in manys eyes the best QB in football that has had maybe the best start to a career overall in the game, they have one of the elite, top 3-5 NFL coaches that has won a lot of games, they have a WR and TE a lot of people would say are the best at their position currently in the NFL, they have a lot of recent big game experience. And when you have a good team overall, an elite QB, and your QB will likely be the better one in every game of the season, you are going to win a lot of games. You'll be favored in almost every game.

I still wouldn't put anything I value on it happening. Because it's almost impossibly hard. You need good luck and fortune in terms of a few bounces and specifically in health not losing any essentially player for any real length of time, you have to be your best for 20 straight weeks, you have to sweep your division and win every road game. Those things by themselves are hard to do and don't happen all that often. The combination of them all? Highly unlikely. 

Would I be absolutely floored and say I never could have seen it as even a possibility? No, I respect the Chiefs talent and coaching a lot. But I still would be surprised. Winning the super bowl? Wouldn't surprise me at all. They're unfortunately probably my favorite going into the year. Would 19-1 or 18-2 overall and a super bowl shock me? Nope. But 20-0? That's just such a ridiculously hard bar to clear. 

Edited by Mr Raider
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mr Raider said:

I take him 100% seriously in terms of believing that is a goal, and something he believes the team he plays for is capable of. 

Do I take him seriously in the sense of being confident it's actually going to happen? Not really. In that regard I take him essentially as seriously as I took a couple teams quarterbacked by Manning and their likelihood of a perfect season. I take it less seriously than I took the 2007 Patriots from going 19-0. But I give it a better chance than I gave every other team I didn't mention having a perfect season since I started watching and understanding football in the early 2000's. 

For whatever all that is worth. The Chiefs are a tremendous team. They have a ton of elite talent. They have in manys eyes the best QB in football that has had maybe the best start to a career overall in the game, they have one of the elite, top 3-5 NFL coaches that has won a lot of games, they have a WR and TE a lot of people would say are the best at their position currently in the NFL, they have a lot of recent big game experience. And when you have a good team overall, an elite QB, and your QB will likely be the better one in every game of the season, you are going to win a lot of games. You'll be favored in almost every game.

I still wouldn't put anything I value on it happening. Because it's almost impossibly hard. You need good luck and fortune in terms of a few bounces and specifically in health not losing any essentially player for any real length of time, you have to be your best for 20 straight weeks, you have to sweep your division and win every road game. Those things by themselves are hard to do and don't happen all that often. The combination of them all? Highly unlikely. 

Would I be absolutely floored and say I never could have seen it as even a possibility? No, I respect the Chiefs talent and coaching a lot. But I still would be surprised. Winning the super bowl? Wouldn't surprise me at all. They're unfortunately probably my favorite going into the year. Would 19-1 or 18-2 overall and a super bowl shock me? Nope. But 20-0? That's just such a ridiculously hard bar to clear. 

It would not be a big step up from where they were last year. They could legitimately gone into the SB 17-1, because the rested starters in game #17. The OL problems that ruined the Super Bowl have been addressed. While there are various questions, they should be at least as good as last year. Realistically, it's more a matter of luck with injuries than any other factor. 

J

Edited by onejayhawk

1 hour ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

I would hope that every QB shoots for that.

Lamar Jackson said in his last press conference that he is not shooting to win the second matchup against the Browns because they are getting a rematch after a bye so it's really not a fair game. He's not going to try as hard in interconference matchups because those count less. Plus he's ok losing in the AFC Championship round this year because that is enough to show progression. 

Edited by wackywabbit