2021 Green Bay Offensive Line

Refugee

28 minutes ago, Norm said:

I got detention once for telling a teacher to go hump a moose

True story.  Kid got a detention slip in high school while in a chemistry class I was in.

We were making more or less...gunpowder.  Or some kind of explosive agent that you mixed together.

While making it, some of it got onto his acid washed jeans.  You know the kind.

He sat down at the end of class and simply put his hands on his lap, when the gunpowder exploded on his leg.  Blew a hole in his pants and caused some bleeding.  Naturally he yelled out, "F---------!"

He was sent to the office with a detention note.  The principal wrote on the note and sent him back to class.  The note said, "Appropriate response."

He showed us all the note and even the teacher laughed.  The principal?  None other than my Pops and the one who wrote Observations of a Railbird for years.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

True story.  Kid got a detention slip in high school while in a chemistry class I was in.

We were making more or less...gunpowder.  Or some kind of explosive agent that you mixed together.

While making it, some of it got onto his acid washed jeans.  You know the kind.

He sat down at the end of class and simply put his hands on his lap, when the gunpowder exploded on his leg.  Blew a hole in his pants and caused some bleeding.  Naturally he yelled out, "F---------!"

He was sent to the office with a detention note.  The principal wrote on the note and sent him back to class.  The note said, "Appropriate response."

He showed us all the note and even the teacher laughed.  The principal?  None other than my Pops and the one who wrote Observations of a Railbird for years.

That's your old man? No ****...

15 hours ago, Norm said:

That's your old man? No ****...

13 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

appropriate response

Yes.  That was my dad.  Sadly, he passed in September of 2020.  

Fun thing, at his celebration of life, there were dozens of his old players there.  Everyone shared stories concerning him.  Every story had some "football" in it, but most had stories about how he impacted their lives.

I remember one man walked out of football practice one day with no excuse.

My old man, his coach, found out that he was working nights at a local supper club.  So, he drove there at night.  Talked to he manager and got the kid off of his shift.  He took the kid for a ride in the car and they discussed life.  Seems like this kid was senior, his family had no money to send him to college, so he was resigned to the fact that he was going to enlist in the army.

Dad talked with him about life, parlayed that to a football team and said he would work with the school counselor to find him financial aid for college.  Kid returned to the team, became an all conference player and got financial aid to go to college.  He's a doctor today and living a great life with his family.  He credits my dad and that talk for turning his life around.

Another young man talked about practice and how tough it was.  Apparently they were practicing on the Friday before Labor Day.  And it wasn't a good practice.  My dad knew it and so did the players.  Afterwards the players were on the bus going back to the locker room when they were talking about their long Labor Day weekend plans.  They assumed since there was no school, there would be no practice.

Dad had the bus pull over.  He got up and told them to enjoy their weekend and that he'd see them bright and early on the practice field on Monday morning, 7:00 sharp.  Someone asked, "Isn't Monday a holiday?"  My dad quipped back at him, "Yes.  And I'm going to show you exactly why we call it LABOR day!"

Telling yah, enjoy your dad's while they are around.  I miss mine everyday and wish I could have just one more conversation with him.

• Like 7

On 12/2/2021 at 11:52 AM, minnypackerfan said:

In all of the discussion about keeping Rodgers and/or Adams, can someone lay out a contract proposal(s) that keeps him/them here and creates the type of cap room to keep Rodgers/Adams and still get us under the cap.  In my mind this only happens if Rodgers/Adams take a lot less money in 2022 and 2023 then they normally would be scheduled to make.  Will they give that up to remain on the team?  To also make this thing work, there will need to be some serious contract restructures and or cuts of existing players to make this happen.  In addition, I don't think the cap is really going to go up until 2024 when the new TV contracts kick in and the salary cap modification negotiated for 2020, 2021, and 2022 is completed due to the reduction in revenues caused by COVID-19 which resulted in largely empty stadiums.  From the Packers standpoint, getting the TV contracts done is going to help them gauge where the cap is actually going to be in 2023 and beyond and structure contracts accordingly.

Would love to hear/see some proposals on how this is possible.  From my largely biased viewpoint, someone is going to give us 2-3 first round picks to get Rodgers and if we're lucky enough to franchise Adams a 1st or 2nd for him.  If they got traded together to one team, the draft haul would be incredible.  The trade market is almost better with both of them in my mind going to the same team.  Plus that might reduce Rodgers objections to where he is getting traded too.

I would like to see someone work this out as well. I'm having a hard time seeing how the Pack can even bring just one of them back without releasing Preston, Z. Smith, and Amos. 

Edited by dust247

10 minutes ago, dust247 said:

I would like to see someone work this out as well. I'm having a hard time seeing how the Pack can even bring just one of them back without releasing Preston, Z. Smith, and Amos. 

Rodgers - $46

Z - $28

Preston - $20

Jaire - $13

Amos - $12

Cobb - $7

Crosby - $2.5

We have $119 million in restructurable contracts and $10 million in obvious cuts for next year. Plenty of wiggle room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Rodgers - $46

Z - $28

Preston - $20

Jaire - $13

Amos - $12

Cobb - $7

Crosby - $2.5

We have $119 million in restructurable contracts and $10 million in obvious cuts for next year. Plenty of wiggle room.

I think the $16M signing bonus part of Rodgers contract is fixed for 2022.  the wiggle room is the base, roster bonus, workout bonus.  so around $30M

Z has $5M in signing bonus that is not changeable.

Some of the other players have similar set ups

I may be wrong on that, but that is how understand the process.

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

I think the $16M signing bonus part of Rodgers contract is fixed for 2022.  the wiggle room is the base, roster bonus, workout bonus.  so around $30M

Z has $5M in signing bonus that is not changeable.

Some of the other players have similar set ups

I may be wrong on that, but that is how understand the process.

Where there's a will, there's a way.  Many NFL teams handle the salary cap and restructuring dollars like it was monopoly money.  Packers have usually been pretty good at it but last years covid screwed them.  Big, big dollars coming down the road though.  Again, where's there's a will, there's a way. 

• Like 1

I could see us potentially trading Bakh this offseason. Jenkins has played his way into top LT money and it'll be hard to justify paying 2 guys top LT money on the line. If a team offers us a 1st and some change for Bakh, I think it'll be hard for Gute to turn that down. 

This is assuming that Rodgers is traded this offseason 

Edited by NavyGuy

Newman has gotten some criticism, but I think he's done pretty well... for a rookie...   And think he'll get better in future.  He's been generally quite good in pass protection, other than some earlier occasional mistakes in terms of assignments on stunts or blitzes or whatever.  Those were inexperience-based, not physical-capacity-based.  I think he's shown excellent feet and balance to be a good pass blocker.  

I wouldn't prioritize replacing him. 

• If Bakh comes back, for example, I'd just return Nijman to reserve, and leave the rest of the line unshaken.  Rather than shaking up RG, which Turner hasn't played for some while; and RT, which Nijman hasn't played hardly ever.  
  • If Myers was to come back, I'd just replace Patrick, and bump Patrick back to the bench, but not mess with Runyan or Newman.  Runyan has never played RG, and I think Newman's pass-blocking physical capacity against playoff-caliber defenders is better than Patrick's.  

Will be interesting to see whether Bakh or Myers do get back at all this season.  And if so whether they are healthy and grooved in enough to actually play well.  And of course if they do resume practicing at some point, how many weeks of practice would precede actual game usage.  

For future, I would NOT be cutting Turner over money.  He's been really good.  As we see this and every other year, o-linemen get injured every year.  *IF* you cut Turner for cap-saving, plus if you can't re-sign Patrick who's expiring, suddenly your contingency depth would vanish.  

I think having a stable and effective line is essential for next year, whether with Rodgers or with Love.  Retaining Turner would be a huge advantage in providing some flexibility to work around an o-line injury.  

35 minutes ago, NavyGuy said:

I could see us potentially trading Bakh this offseason. Jenkins has played his way into top LT money and it'll be hard to justify paying 2 guys top LT money on the line. If a team offers us a 1st and some change for Bakh, I think it'll be hard for Gute to turn that down. 

This is assuming that Rodgers is traded this offseason 

Edit: Didn't see my other post went through when signing up 

We went from the best offense in the league to an average offense with the only change being the OL. Why would we trade our best OL

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We went from the best offense in the league to an average offense with the only change being the OL. Why would we trade our best OL

It's hard to build a team spending 50m+ on 2 guys on the OL. Assets we get from trading Bakh plus salary savings better spent on defense. I have faith in Gute and our OL coach to put together a top OL.