Julio Jones traded to Titans for at least a 2nd rounder

TheRealMcCoy

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Is there another metric for how good someone is at doing the deep ball?

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/ryan-tannehill/

#27 in "Deep Ball completion %" and #26 in Deep Ball Attempts. And this is with the narrative that carried over from Miami that he wasn't good at throwing deep balls. I know somewhere out there is a "on target %" for throws over a certain distance, but I don't know where to find it.

Good enough for me. The attempts are low but that’s expected in a run heavy offense. AJ was his top receiver but he’s not exactly a big time deep threat. 

2 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Good enough for me. The attempts are low but that’s expected in a run heavy offense. AJ was his top receiver but he’s not exactly a big time deep threat. 

I remember this tweet chain, and IIRC their data was completely wrong (I remember because the Lamar stats got RT'ed all over the place).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:
Good enough for me. The attempts are low but that’s expected in a run heavy offense. AJ was his top receiver but he’s not exactly a big time deep threat

Forgive me, because I don't watch the Titans super regularly, but isn't that like one of the better parts of his game?

I know he may not be Hill/Julio level deep threat and I understand he's got great size and athleticism and a well rounded game, but every time I see AJ Brown's highlights, I feel like he's taking it 60+ yards to the house. 

2 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

I like the trade value wise but I still dont think that defense can stop a nose bleed and this is someone who likes the titans organization.

i don't know if our defense will be good this year, but we replaced over half our starters. if it's not an improvement on "worst defense in team history" we have some serious, serious issues....which we might lol

• Like 1

Just now, Soggust said:

Forgive me, because I don't watch the Titans super regularly, but isn't that like one of the better parts of his game?

I know he may not be Hill/Julio level deep threat and I understand he's got great size and athleticism and a well rounded game, but every time I see AJ Brown's highlights, I feel like he's taking it 60+ yards to the house. 

i'd say he's a pretty solid deep threat but not in the way julio is. those 60+ yard house calls are usually him taking a 15-20 yard pass the distance because he's a YAC monster (though he's had his share of deep bombs as well).

• Like 1

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I remember this tweet chain, and IIRC their data was completely wrong (I remember because the Lamar stats got RT'ed all over the place).

I think this is the same one that credited mahomes with like 47 dropped interceptions (hyperbole), but a lot. 

That being said, the deep ball project has been doing this for years and I do trust that data. They had tannehill rated 12 this year, which isn't bad (though the previous two years he was one of the worst, I believe)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

On the bright side, not like this really impacts the Texans. By the time they get that mess figured out, Julio (and probably aj brown) will have retired

It actually helps with the tanking.

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

That being said, the deep ball project has been doing this for years and I do trust that data. They had tannehill rated 12 this year, which isn't bad (though the previous two years he was one of the worst, I believe)

i don't follow this data, but this would track for me having watched him the past two years. if memory serves, he was pretty rough throwing deep as soon as he took over the starting job, but he tightened it up a lot over the course of that season and carried it over into 2020.

8 minutes ago, Soggust said:

As @-Hope-said, AJB is more what I’d call a big-play threat than a traditional deep threat. He’s so quick and strong that if he gets in open space, he can create huge gains, but the 40+ air yard passes to him haven’t really been a huge part of his game.

Though that could obviously change as teams have to prioritize weapons now. He’s fast and physical enough that I’ll happily take my chances if he’s 1-on-1 downfield.

19 minutes ago, Soggust said:

A lot of that is because he breaks a tackle on a slant or comeback or other short routes and takes it for a TD. Not saying he’s not good, just saying that isn’t exactly his best part of his game.