League fines WFT $10M due to team culture investigation

RaidersAreOne

33 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Once again, the league dropping the ball completely.   The optics here are just awful.  SMH.

Wow.

I have zero love for Snyder, and if there was widespread harassment, it should be punished....but a $10M fine for something that doesn't have an actual documented report?   

Absolutely embarrassing....but thats the current NFL for ya.

13 minutes ago, 43M said:

Wow.

I have zero love for Snyder, and if there was widespread harassment, it should be punished....but a $10M fine for something that doesn't have an actual documented report?   

The only logical answer is pretty damning for both the WFT and NFL.

The only reason you don't want a written report is if what is known is so bad, it makes the punishment look like a joke.    If the report corroborates what has been reported about insiders being allowed special access to photo shoots without knowledge of the cheerleaders, and then the "dates".....it's a firestorm to have on paper.   It also makes having Snyder remain as owner totally nuclear in terms of PR.

On the other hand, if WFT did nothing wrong as an org, there's no way they take this penalty lying down.

The only logical conclusion is that this was too hot to have on record - and this is a defacto unofficial suspension of Snyder, and a token fine - 10M sounds like a massive hit - until you realize Snyder & WFT's net worth.     WFT won't be affected long-term financially, and they can generate this kind of $ easily.    They don't lose draft picks, and Snyder keeps the team.    If even 1/10th of what was reported was known by Snyder, this is a joke of a penalty.

This does nothing but make the league look like a Mickey Mouse org - and the league probably knows it.   The alternative of publishing what actually happened has to be nuclear to go this route.   SMH all the way around.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 10

22 minutes ago, 43M said:

Wow.

Snyder is laughing his way too the bank. This is chump change for him. WFT is what, a 1 Billion dollar franchise? So this is like a 1% loss? Yeah I'm sure he's upset about this instead of being forced to sell his golden goose or have anything worse happen.

If anything this feels like the NFL is covering up how bad it is. If he was truely upset with it he'd be lashing out right now about it, but he isn't. Which makes me feel whatever was going on would be bad enough to truely damage his reputation and/or that of the league.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DutchFalcon said:

Snyder is laughing his way too the bank. This is chump change for him. WFT is what, a 1 Billion dollar franchise? So this is like a 1% loss? Yeah I'm sure he's upset about this instead of being forced to sell his golden goose or have anything worse happen.

If anything this feels like the NFL is covering up how bad it is. If he was truely upset with it he'd be lashing out right now about it, but he isn't. Which makes me feel whatever was going on would be bad enough to truely damage his reputation and/or that of the league.

The fiscal effect to Dan Snyder means literally nothing to me.

Its just extremely shady to dish out that type of punishment without an official summary of the investigation.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

The only logical answer is pretty damning for both the WFT and NFL.

The only reason you don't want a written report is if what is known is so bad, it makes the punishment look like a joke.    If the report corroborates what has been reported about insiders being allowed special access to photo shoots without knowledge of the cheerleaders, and then the "dates".....it's a firestorm to have on paper.   It also makes having Snyder remain as owner totally nuclear in terms of PR.

On the other hand, if WFT did nothing wrong as an org, there's no way they take this penalty lying down.

The only logical conclusion is that this was too hot to have on record - and this is a defacto unofficial suspension of Snyder, and a token fine - 10M sounds like a massive hit - until you realize Snyder & WFT's net worth.     WFT won't be affected long-term financially, and they can generate this kind of $ easily.    They don't lose draft picks, and Snyder keeps the team.    If even 1/10th of what was reported was known by Snyder, this is a joke of a penalty.

This does nothing but make the league look like a Mickey Mouse org - and the league probably knows it.   The alternative of publishing what actually happened has to be nuclear to go this route.   SMH all the way around.

you are probably spot on here

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 43M said:

The fiscal effect to Dan Snyder means literally nothing to me.

Its just extremely shady to dish out that type of punishment without an official summary of the investigation.

The fact that there isn't a report likely protects Snyder more than anything else. There's no paper trail to point to for the public to punish him via sponsorships etc.The fact that he seems to be in total ageement with the outcome is more telling.

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

In “Beauties on the Beach,” the official video chronicling the making of the Washington NFL team’s 2008 cheerleader swimsuit calendar, the women frolic in the sand, rave about their custom bikinis and praise a photographer for putting them at ease in settings where sometimes only a strategically placed prop or tightly framed shot shielded otherwise bare breasts.

What the cheerleaders didn’t know was that another video, intended strictly for private use, would be produced using footage from that same shoot. Set to classic rock, the 10-minute unofficial video featured moments when nipples were inadvertently exposed as the women shifted positions or adjusted props.

Absolutely disgraceful!

Really shameful behavior!

• Like 1

Typical big money ending here….wait long enough after the first reports come out that people forget about it or just don’t really care anymore

Yes I’m gonna be that guy but $10M is nothing when you think about who’s paying it 

Need to look more into this but this feels like the NFL got it absolutely wrong and I was just starting to warm up to Goodell 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

So their punishment is a huge tax write off for charity? 

This is emblematic of how little people understand the concept of “write-offs.” You still need to part with money on balance to be eligible for a “write-off.” It’s not a net benefit in any way. 

I have no opinion on whether this punishment is enough or falls short, but as a financial professional this is a huge  pet peeve of mine. 

Edited by sp6488