Training Camp 2021!

N4L

On 8/27/2021 at 5:00 PM, Forge said:

I think that there are a number of configurations, and Shanny himself said that the 6th spot doesn't have to go to a receiver with return abilities. That is probably the biggest thing, tbh. So you could easily end up with Deebo / Aiyuk / Jennings / sherfield / sanu / hurd. 

So who returns punts and kicks? Aiyuk on punts? Most people don't like that (personally, I don't really mind. I don't think punt returners get injured much anymore. I don't see the big risk of it. And with a run-heavy offense, I'd welcome the chance to give Aiyuk more touches). Other than him? With our depth at RB, I wouldn't mind having Mostert return kick-offs every now and then. Ambry Thomas has experience returning kicks. Or put George back there! 

15 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

So who returns punts and kicks? Aiyuk on punts? Most people don't like that (personally, I don't really mind. I don't think punt returners get injured much anymore. I don't see the big risk of it. And with a run-heavy offense, I'd welcome the chance to give Aiyuk more touches). Other than him? With our depth at RB, I wouldn't mind having Mostert return kick-offs every now and then. Ambry Thomas has experience returning kicks. Or put George back there! 

I’ve always wondered why Hasty doesn’t return kicks. He’s got the wiggle and burst to make people miss and it would boost his value. 

Edited by NinerNation21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

Apparently they had Sanu returning punts during some TC. I'd assume Thomas for kicks as well

Why are we so worried about running kicks and punts when you damn well know that James was mediocre AT BEST at that? Just have someone back there returning punts that has good hands and knows when and when not to field the punt. I don't care about kick returners since we are starting between the 20-25 every single possession anyways. 

22 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Why are we so worried about running kicks and punts when you damn well know that James was mediocre AT BEST at that? Just have someone back there returning punts that has good hands and knows when and when not to field the punt. I don't care about kick returners since we are starting between the 20-25 every single possession anyways. 

Honestly, it's crazy to think about, but we only average about 3 returns a game. In 2020, we had 25 punt returns, 27 kick returns. Thats it. Only about 3.25 per game. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, it's crazy to think about, but we only average about 3 returns a game. In 2020, we had 25 punt returns, 27 kick returns. Thats it. Only about 3.25 per game. 

This is a thing about shannys offense that not many people talk about, he is innovative and an offensively minded coach but he has some of the best ball/clock control of any team.  Of course this comes through is love of running the ball but for the last few years it always felt like of any games in the timeslot we played in we always finished first.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's honestly nothing to stress about. You don't need to keep someone that is average at returning kicks over a better WR. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Mostly because for how bad James was at getting much extra yards he almost never was a negative. He didn't turn the ball over much and usually gets a few yards. Which is something we seem to value more than that boom or bust type of returner.

6 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Mostly because for how bad James was at getting much extra yards he almost never was a negative. He didn't turn the ball over much and usually gets a few yards. Which is something we seem to value more than that boom or bust type of returner.

That's fine, so put the guy who will be the best to field the punt without muffing it back there. You don't need to put inferior players on the roster just because they don't fumble punts. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So will Moore need to make the initial 53 man roster and then be put on IR so he can return later in the season? 

Believe people have to be on the original 53 to be qualify for the new IR rules.

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That's fine, so put the guy who will be the best to field the punt without muffing it back there. You don't need to put inferior players on the roster just because they don't fumble punts. 

Just something that always stands out to me when Hightower or Shanahan talk about the position is how important that consistency is. I have been against James making the roster for a few years now but for some reason his meh at best returns where a reason to keep him all these years.

Just now, Justone2 said:

Believe people have to be on the original 53 to be qualify for the new IR rules.

Just something that always stands out to me when Hightower or Shanahan talk about the position is how important that consistency is. I have been against James making the roster for a few years now but for some reason his meh at best returns where a reason to keep him all these years.

I mean we all have seen what happens when you don't have reliable returners, but like I have a hard time believing there is no one on the roster that cannot field punts without the killer mishaps. We never got much in the actual return game and that is not going to change. If someone is a better WR than a certain returner, then keep that WR....Unless that return man gives you something no one else on the roster can.

Anyways, the Rams have what looks like two top level punters...Whichever one that gets released will be better than Wish...Any chance Shanny/Lynch release Wish for that punter?? Though I guess if it is Hekker, he's going to want a decent amount and we don't exactly have much cap space at the moment. 

40 minutes ago, nugpimpen said:

Hey all. Curious browns fan here just wondering if you all are assuming that you start Jimmy G this year?

At this point I think it's likely Jimmy starts week 1. I think the only way he doesn't is if he gets traded, and I think that time has passed.