MNF GDT Week 1: Ravens @ Raiders

NYRaider

Who wins/  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Winner?

• Raiders
    • Ravens

Great game, obviously carr was off early and targeting Waller every play. He broke off the rust and played fine, especially down the stretch. O line was good enough( let’s face it if we’d have been told our starting guards were gonna be out all game no one would’ve had much faith) stuff to iron out, but we gotta start somewhere. Lol. Overall the offense looked better as the game progressed, but it can definitely improve. Defense? Waaay better than what we’re used to. Very improved IMO. DC, scheme and personnel all are improved. Better to come boys, put on yer chinstraps!

• Like 1

I said 31-28 Raiders before the game. Wasn't too far off. 

Went similarly to how I kind of imagined it going as well. Except I thought the run game would be relied on much more. Even with Jacobs being questionable, I figured that is what we paid Drake for. Drake had some amazing pass protection though. 

Overall the defense I thought looked MUCH better than last year. Maxx was a machine, all over the field. Yannick when he was out there was having the impact on the rest of the OL I imagined. We still gave up 27, but watching it with my eyes it was night and day compared to last year. I feel like with last years roster and Gunthers system, we give up much closer to 40 and don't get a couple of critical turnovers. 

Offense looked rusty and out of sink early. But Carr calmed down. Waller is elite and did Waller things. Our offense looked best once we gave Edwards, Ruggs and such some looks. Really though for an offense that didn't play pre season, was down both guards at points, and playing on MNF week 1 against a playoff caliber team in front of fans again, it all is a little excusable. 

On to week 2. Lets get the win over another playoff team last year and start the season off strong. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Turnobili said:

to be fair to Andre James... he would normally start alongside Richie and Good and instead played most of the game with Simpson and Eluemunor

getting the starters back (or at least Richie) would probably make him look a bit better... but he still has to play much better when taking on defensive linemen. for what its worth, he looks plenty athletic when he released to the second level and takes on a linebacker (look at Jacobs' second touchdown run)... he just seemingly cannot take on any defensive linemen 1 on 1.

while baltimore's defensive interior is quite elite between Brandon Williams and Calais Campbell, the best team in our division has this dude named Chris Jones who is the best defensive tackle not named Aaron Donald

I thought that if you erase the bad snap(which is just plain bad) and the 2 holding penalties (considering who he was playing is reasonable LOL) he actually did a really good job as a run blocker and as a pass blocker.

7 hours ago, Turnobili said:

I wish every game was like this.  Game is so much better hen you get a deeper perspective.  You can tell all the mistakes both teams are making.  This is how I feel when watching baseball with my brother.  He was a really good pitcher and could tell you everything that the pitcher and batter where looking to do.  Plus it helps that the Manning's are funny. 

9 hours ago, Turnobili said:

Notice how Russell Wilson talks about how the two players on defense you have to account for on every play or Darren Waller and Henry Ruggs 

I also think it’s funny how a lot of people on this forum think it’s a stupid idea to run the football on the goal line 4 times but Peyton Manning one of the best quarterbacks to ever play the game think that’s a good idea also.

Edited by Jeremy408

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

I thought that if you erase the bad snap(which is just plain bad) and the 2 holding penalties (considering who he was playing is reasonable LOL) he actually did a really good job as a run blocker and as a pass blocker.

go watch the 4th down we got stuffed on. and later the 3rd and 1 that jacobs barely converted.

Edited by Turnobili

9 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

go watch the 4th down we got stuffed on. and later the 3rd and 1 that jacobs barely converted.

1. Some thing that’s key that I was saying throughout the game yesterday in the actual game thread: Josh Jacobs was obviously hobbled and needed to be sat. He wasn’t coming to any kind of hole with any kind of explosion. Every time Drake got a carry he looks better than him for the obvious reason that he was hitting the holes harder because he was healthy. Run Blocking always looks worse than what it is when the running back doesn’t hit the hole fast in a Similar way to when Pass blocking always looks worse than it is when the quarterback doesn’t get rid of the ball.

2. Calais Campbell is also One of the best defensive tackles in the entire NFL at stopping the run so that’s also an important factor. He’s not gonna play Calais Campbell every week lol

9 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

The 4th down stuff (3/4 3:25) - 4th and 1 and James is supposed to single block Campbell out of the way? I think he was meant to have some initial help from a guard... hell I don't think Simpson even touched anyone and Jacobs might of gotten it if he followed the Moreau lead block.

The 3rd and 1 (4/4 10:35) - Yeah he gets pushed back by Brandon Williams but the lane is still there for a yard. 72 was meant to kick forward and block 26 but instead 26 fills the gap and Jacobs bounces it

Raiders.png