They:

*had 533% more points

*had 444% better 3rd down conversion rate

*had 300% fewer turnovers

*had 131% higher time of possession

*had 62% more yards

*had 57% more first downs

Cool obscure numbers lol. 

If you wanna cry yourself to sleep over one loss, go right ahead. 

We have 16 more games left and in all likelihood will still be tied for first after tonight, but by all means, continue you say how bad this team is gonna be !

I am probably in the minority but I’m less concerned about the DL and more worried about our rush. We gave up 4.4 ypc. That’s fine considering what we ask of them. We have a lot invested in edge and outside a few Gary flashes and an erroneous call on Z, we got no production. Z isn’t right, Gary is okay, and Preston is trash. That’s a problem. I don’t understand why in the last decade, why the only 2 players we’ve drafted at arguably the most important spot on D (top 4 rounds) are Gary and Fackrell. It seems like bad team building. It’s the same story every year with our front 7 sucking but we overreact and draft a corner because a dumb play in the playoffs (I do like stokes tho)

3 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I don’t understand why in the last decade, why the only 2 players we’ve drafted at arguably the most important spot on D (top 4 rounds) are Gary and Fackrell.

I think I know why:

2012: Nick Perry (1st)

2013: Datone Jones (1st)

2014: Carl Bradford (4th), J Peppers (FA)

2015: Jake Ryan (4th)

2016: Fackrell (4th)

2017: Biegel (4th)

2019: Gary (1st), Z Smith, P Smith (FA)

This is actually an interesting study. In 2014-2016 we had the trio of Matthews/Peppers/Perry which was more than ok. One could point out that taking a pass-rusher in 2015 instead of D. Randall would have been prudent. The next EDGE taken after Randall in 2015? None other than Preston Smith (who we ended up with 4 years later anyway). In 2016 there was no one of note worth considering at any of the picks (and we landed Kenny in the first). 

2017 is the obvious back-breaker. Replace King w/ TJ Watt.

2018 we got Jaire and there's no one of note in the draft near our remaining picks.

2019 we invested HEAVILY.

I don't see habitually ignoring. 30% of our 1st round picks the last decade were at this position, and our 3 biggest FA signings. If anything, that seems like the opposite of ignoring the position. Granted the King/Watt is touchy for everyone, but that happens to every team, and likely worse than that. We don't have a problem w/ our EDGE group the previous decade.

59 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I am probably in the minority but I’m less concerned about the DL and more worried about our rush. We gave up 4.4 ypc. That’s fine considering what we ask of them. We have a lot invested in edge and outside a few Gary flashes and an erroneous call on Z, we got no production. Z isn’t right, Gary is okay, and Preston is trash. That’s a problem. I don’t understand why in the last decade, why the only 2 players we’ve drafted at arguably the most important spot on D (top 4 rounds) are Gary and Fackrell. It seems like bad team building. It’s the same story every year with our front 7 sucking but we overreact and draft a corner because a dumb play in the playoffs (I do like stokes tho)

You can't expect much out of the rush when the opposing offense has zero real reason to pass the ball consistently. The Saints knew from the first possession onwards that they could run the ball at will and completely dominate the line of scrimmage doing so. It's unrealistic to expect your rushers to play effectively when they're being relegated to a secondary thought.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Striker said:

As a counterpoint they looked good last year and also in 2011. So two of the best offenses in team history did not play preseason games.

Honestly, it probably has to do with overall offseason/camp habits vs. preseason games. 

Yes

But last year no team had a pre-season. 

Its one thing to have no pre-season when your opponents don't either. Chances are both sides  are a few percent down in sharpness so it cancels out.

This year NO had pre-season and we basically didn't. You would expect them to look sharper because of it. 

Its not just the offence, everyone who isn't injured benefits sharpness wise from playing games. 

Edited by mikemike778

11 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

This is another point of mine about LaFleur here. When things are bad he abandons the very things that make his offense so great to begin with.

We only ran 50 plays total, 35 before the end of the 3rd, and 18 before the end of the half (6 of which were in a two minute offense situation) How much of the touches do you want him to have?

12 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I don't care what you think about those two drives. If your defense can't give you more than 5 minutes with the ball in 30 MINUTES there is something wrong with them. The offense didn't do anything with the two chances they had but having two possessions in one half is a complete and utter joke and this argument is hilarious LOL

As opposed to the unsustainable brilliance of getting 2 first downs in 2 drives, one of which required a 2 point conversion.

There is no "The defense let Rodgers down" narrative to be had here. The offense was steaming **** as well.