The Mike Vrabel thread (+ coaching staff)

deeluxx3

I am on the record quite loudly as to being ready to move one from Vrabel. I think he is a good coach and as someone earlier said played to the strength of the playoff winning team he inherited. So I will give him a reasonable chance to adjust his approach based on our evolved team. I said a couple of weeks ago he would look to draft a 250lb RB or go get AJ Dillon, continue to put blocking above separation when evaluating WR's, and continue to try and grind out the clock if we go up 10-0 in the first quarter. I would bet he continues down that path, but he is a good coach and maybe he could evolve if Ran gets us some playmakers. 

If there is a riff between RC and MV it is likely that MV wants a certain type of player and RC wants playmakers. Would Debo or Aiuk make the field on a Vrabel run team if their blocking isn't great. I don't know if they are or not just saying they aren't 6'3" 225 LB WR's. 

Everyone loves to reminisce on the wins vs KC, MIA, and LAR...but what about the losses vs some really bad teams when we were relatively healthy...those losses are why I don't consider him elite, and only think he is good. 

Don't think anyone would trade for him but I could be wrong...but I think a 3rd is the best possible.

1 hour ago, Dr.Doom52 said:

I am on the record quite loudly as to being ready to move one from Vrabel. I think he is a good coach and as someone earlier said played to the strength of the playoff winning team he inherited. So I will give him a reasonable chance to adjust his approach based on our evolved team. I said a couple of weeks ago he would look to draft a 250lb RB or go get AJ Dillon, continue to put blocking above separation when evaluating WR's, and continue to try and grind out the clock if we go up 10-0 in the first quarter. I would bet he continues down that path, but he is a good coach and maybe he could evolve if Ran gets us some playmakers. 

If there is a riff between RC and MV it is likely that MV wants a certain type of player and RC wants playmakers. Would Debo or Aiuk make the field on a Vrabel run team if their blocking isn't great. I don't know if they are or not just saying they aren't 6'3" 225 LB WR's. 

Everyone loves to reminisce on the wins vs KC, MIA, and LAR...but what about the losses vs some really bad teams when we were relatively healthy...those losses are why I don't consider him elite, and only think he is good. 

Don't think anyone would trade for him but I could be wrong...but I think a 3rd is the best possible.

This was beautiful 🥲👏🏽

1 hour ago, Dr.Doom52 said:

The "lose to bad teams" thing never tracks.

Every coach from Bill Belichick to Andy Reid to Sean McVay have bad losses on their resume.

It's the NFL, you're not going to win every week, and sometimes a worse team than you is going to beat you.

Falls on the list of things not even worth discussing as it relates to coaches.

Don't like the scheme or culture or things of that nature, sure, worth discussing, but don't think you're ever gonna find a coach you're happy with if losing to teams worse than you occasionally is a deal breaker.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr.Doom52 said:

Admittedly, I find this statement funny considering the example here. Aiyuk was in Shanahan’s doghouse his first couple of years and with how important blocking is in Shanahan’s system too, the same could be asked with there.

Say what you want about Vrabel, there’s legitimate criticism there. But you seriously think he doesn’t want playmakers too?

Not saying he doesn't want playmakers, rather where does he place emphasis. On a team void of too much WR talent he sits a WR for a guy that plays Special Teams.

Obviously he loved AJB, who is physical and a playmaker. It was an example from his former team, select any small stature WR like St. Brown or Devonte Smith, guys that he would likely not value coming out of the draft due to lack of size/physicality. Examples...not saying they aren't physical and not saying I would want them just trying to explain what I think would be a potential issue between RC and MV. Obviously this is pure speculation, but seems like a reasonable reason to me.

Edited by Dr.Doom52

Schefter is now reporting there could be some issues:

TENNESSEE TITANS: Despite speculation that the Titans are not expected to undergo significant change this offseason, there are expected to be organizational meetings between coach Mike Vrabel and the team's decision makers to determine whether any notable changes will be made, league sources told ESPN.

There continue to be people around the league who think that either Vrabel would be open to be moved to another team or that the Titans would be open to moving him -- maybe both.

Vrabel publicly has said he wants to remain in Tennessee, but others have wondered how content he is.

Until there is further word that there will not be change, it is possible that there may be some with the Titans organization. Meetings that likely will happen this week will help determine the direction that Vrabel and the Titans go, but the situation in Tennessee currently is not settled, according to sources.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39250627/bill-belichick-future-headlines-uncertain-coaching-situations

Remember the whole smoke and fire thing I mentioned earlier this week…yeah…

I still support Vrabel and think he’s a very good coach. However, if we’re going to make a change, now more than ever would be the time. We’ll be among the leaders in cap space, have decent draft capital and have an opportunity to really shape how the team is going to look for the foreseeable future. This is an opportunity for Ran to mold the team how he see fits (good or bad) and potentially grab the coach who he sees fitting with the vision he has for the team. Also, another not so great year for Vrabel next year and he’s probably gone anyway. If we get rid of him, I’d rather do it while his value is high and we can get some type of draft capital in return, as opposed to potentially firing him next offseason for nothing.

I see no reason for Ran to be gone. 

And if Vrabel wants him gone then let's trade him. 

I do know they meet all the time at the end of the year to talk about direction and plans. That's not news to me. 

But if they demand changes and Vrabel doesn't want them then yeah he could be gone. 

Question would be do we want and trust Vrabel to be in charge of the new era of Titans football. 

• Like 1

I don't understand what any realistic or necessary "notable changes" glaringly need to be made other than possibly firing Vrabel. Like, firing Downing last year was a glaring need. I don't think Kelly nor Bowen warrant an obvious firing, and don't think anyone in the FO warrant that, either.

Unless Carthon and Vrabel are just on completely different planets regarding team building -- which seems a bit unlikely -- then I'm not sure what any "notable changes" may entail. Carthon isn't going anywhere.

We are just so obviously at ground zero roster/talent wise...there's legit maybe 10 players that "should" be on the team next year. Simmons, Levis, Spears, Skoronski, Hopkins, SMB, Landry, McCreary, AAS, Chig and maybe Hooker. We're truly that bad. How could two people be on pages so completely different right now?

• Like 2

A lot of talking heads these days. So it is hard to clear your head through the fog of all this.

But, I will say, after the AJ trade, to me I have framed my head that anything is really possible and to not be shocked.

I just want what is best for my team. Whatever we do, lets get it right. My worry is we can definitely get worse by hiring a bad coach. We need to tread very VERY carefully with what we have in Levis. What matters MOST to me is getting that kid the right help and on the right track.

Losing sucks, and it turns over rocks and we find things that upset people, especially when you have a competitor like Mike.

Im not going to sit here and act like I know what is the right decision. This one is tough given our circumstances with the roster and damage Jrob didn't. The real story has to be behind the scenes. Lets hope Amy and her team has a grasp on it.

Edited by twotonebluenation