Week 4: Steelers @ Lambeau Field

FAH1223

19 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

Steelers defense should improve given the talent they have on that side of the ball. 

from last year they've lost Tuitt and Alualu on the DL who combined for 25 starts, 13 sacks, 14 TFL and 30 QB hits and replaced them with Chris Wormley and Isaiah Buggs who combined for 2 starts, 2 sacks, 1 TFL and 4 QB Hits. Additionally, their best player (Watt) is questionable. They've also replaced Steven Nelson w/ Cameron Sutton and Bud Dupree with Alex Highsmith.

So, their current fielded defense doesn't look nearly as talented as last year. (which probably accounts for why they are currently below average)

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 1

I have watched about half of the Steelers games on TV this season (yes, almost all of one, and about half of another).  I think the defense looks pretty good.  I think the offense looks anemic.  If their offense looked at all good, they would have blown out the Bills.  I think it is a combination of poor pass protection, complete disregard for running the ball, and Big Ben can no longer do the things that made Big Ben so great in his prime.  The defense looks fast, and swarming.  The Packers have not looked like that in a long time.  What does this all entail for the Packers?  Who frickin knows.  We historically play awful situational football, and make games close.  I would guess this is a close game.  

Packers win though, because the Packers always win.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

from last year they've lost Tuitt and Alualu on the DL who combined for 25 starts, 13 sacks, 14 TFL and 30 QB hits and replaced them with Chris Wormley and Isaiah Buggs who combined for 2 starts, 2 sacks, 1 TFL and 4 QB Hits. Additionally, their best player (Watt) is questionable. They've also replaced Steven Nelson w/ Cameron Sutton and Bud Dupree with Alex Highsmith.

So, they're current fielded defense doesn't look nearly as talented as last year. (which probably accounts for why they are currently below average)

if watt is out, they might be overmatched, but their DL especially with watt really outclasses our left side without jenkins

1 hour ago, craig said:

Thanks for observations, Steeler Hitman.  

No problem. Please feel free to provide some Packer insight on our page as well. We would love to your groups opinions.

1 hour ago, craig said:

In some ways, the Packers defense might be a good fit for the Steelers offense?   

I have always agreed that the game is sometimes about match-ups. For example, the Jaguars have always historically given the Steelers fits due to style of play, scheme, and players down through the years despite coaching changes, etc. Trying not to use my heart or high hopes, but this offense has been woefully bad and I just don't know how that is going to change against a superior team without the Packers imploding. I.E. Turnovers, penalties, etc...

Packers' orientation is kinda don't-allow-the-big-play.  It's a somewhat "prevent" orientation.  Play a lot of soft, contain stuff, and don't blitz much.  The run defense isn't stifling.  So it might be a defense that perhaps allows the Steelers some first downs, some drives, and allows some rhythm to form?

That would be the formula for the Steelers to have some success. They would also have to play mistake free football which is pretty much a contradiction of terms in Pittsburgh as of late. I would think that your defense would do what everyone else has and will continue to do until the Steelers can prove they can break it: stack the line, attack the LOS, rush the QB and make him get rid of the ball quickly and or hit him often. The Steelers did open a few holes against the Bengals, but stupid penalties killed most of those gains: illegal formation or holding away from the play, etc. 

And allows your defense to rest some, without giving Rodgers and the Packers offense a vast number of possessions?

Agreed. I think that is the only way to keep the Packers from outright running away. The Steelers have not been able to do that the first three games on offense.

I think it's going to be important that the Packers convert on some of their early offensive possessions, and that the Packers offense puts up some points.  And hopefully get a couple of 3rd down stops somehow or other defensively.  

Common theme in all three Steelers games. They have fallen behind and then teams wear them down and put up more points that they can overcome. They did week one, but that was more an anomaly than the norm. The Bengals were up 17-7 or 24-7 most of the second half. With the Steelers offenses weaknesses, they cannot expect to win playing like they have. Especially against solid to good football teams. 

From Bill Huber

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/najee-harris-will-challenge-packers-defense-as-receiver

Pittsburgh Steelers running back Najee Harris has been a tackle-breaking machine as a receiver.
He'll test a Green Bay Packers defense that has tackled well to start the season.

“We watched a clip of him yesterday where he stiff-armed a Raider defensive back and like threw him down on his back and was able to get extra yards,” coach Matt LaFleur said. “There were a couple clips in that Cincinnati game where he caught a ball out of the backfield and he gets like 20 yards, makes like five guys miss. So, we’re going to have to swarm around him and do a great job of maintaining leverage and wrapping him up because he’s a big guy that can make you look silly.”