OBJ Thread

LETSGOBROWNIES

Should we move on?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should we consciously uncouple from OBJ?

• Yes, he’s a bum who can eat my shorts.
    • Yes, he may be great, but it isn’t working out here.
    • No, 3 years is hardly enough time to figure this out. Patience is a virtue.
    • Absolutely not, my Baker -> OBJ -> Super Bowl tattoo will pay off shortly.

@Empire LiesPlaying hurt doesnt make someone tough. The fundamentals of how to catch a ball is to use two hands. He had a shot to two hand it with one better step and to stretch out. He didnt.

If he was tough he catches the ball he stretched out to two hand it. Antonio Brown goes for that with two hands. Ypu pay someone 15 million per year, you pay them to catch tough passes not just the perfectly placed ones. 

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

@Empire LiesPlaying hurt doesnt make someone tough. The fundamentals of how to catch a ball is to use two hands. He had a shot to two hand it with one better step and to stretch out. He didnt.

If he was tough he catches the ball he stretched out to two hand it. Antonio Brown goes for that with two hands. Ypu pay someone 15 million per year, you pay them to catch tough passes not just the perfectly placed ones. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e476vd58dwx3dhh6ad3p1

Your opinion regarding OBJ's lack of "toughness" isn't based in the reality of how the play played out but instead based on some fantasy gladiator "die on your shield" depiction of football players that completely glosses over the type of sacrifices and mental toughness guys like OBJ and Baker paly with snap to snap.

If you looked at the all22 play, there was no way to go get that sailed pass with two hands as that's not how human biomechanics work when to reach for certain heights a human must do so with one arm/hand.

How much OBJ gets paid or his "toughness" has nothing to do with how that play actually played out. He reached for it. The catchability of that ball was extremely low.

Edited by Empire Lies

20 minutes ago, Empire Lies said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e476vd58dwx3dhh6ad3p1

Your opinion regarding OBJ's lack of "toughness" isn't based in the reality of how the play played out but instead based on some fantasy gladiator "die on your shield" depiction of football players that completely glosses over the type of sacrifices and mental toughness guys like OBJ and Baker paly with snap to snap.

If you looked at the all22 play, there was no way to go get that sailed pass with two hands as that's not how human biomechanics work when to reach for certain heights a human must do so with one arm/hand.

How much OBJ gets paid or his "toughness" has nothing to do with how that play actually played out. He reached for it. The catchability of that ball was extremely low.

Odell has been solid crap when the ball comes close to him too often, this is another example. Wiith better feet, and better eyes he can try and catch it with two hands. He didnt. Thay is an all 22 F. 

He failed at the most basic thing a wr needs to do. He has failed multiple times at catching. 1st down, 2nd down, 3rd down, 4th down. 

He is making Greg Little look like stickem. 

He might be an all 22 queen, but he is a catching the ball loser, I want him playing for another team. He is the teenage pregnancy to a guy with a motor level of error of judgement, like the worst decision made by the browns since Gilbert or Manziel.

• Like 1

I am all for a good Odell Beckham roast. Sign me up for that, it’s past the point where he needs a start somewhere else. With that said, the different views of that play make it pretty clear that Mayfield was mostly to blame on that toss. Granted, a good and well timed throw probably results in a doink anyways.

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

I’m going to reiterate for the 100th time, I’m not even saying OBJ sucks.  I’m saying he sucks here with Baker. “But isn’t that on Baker too!?!?”  Sure.  But Baker doesn’t have that problem with really anyone else.  And it’s a lot easier to find a competent WR than a QB who’s better than Baker when you’re not going to have a top 5-10 pick.  

But let’s be honest here, despite all the times OBJ is just destroying opposing defenses without the ball, when actually given an opportunity how many times has he come through?  My man has dropped some awfully important and easy passes.  Multiple of them this season.  He’s been given chances to make huge plays in huge moments and change the narrative, but he doesn’t.  How many of those chances do you give a guy before you lose confidence in him?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I am all for a good Odell Beckham roast. Sign me up for that, it’s past the point where he needs a start somewhere else. With that said, the different views of that play make it pretty clear that Mayfield was mostly to blame on that toss. Granted, a good and well timed throw probably results in a doink anyways.

Yeah the end zone view shows it was a high throw for sure, but the effort wasn’t great still. Look back, leave your feet, both hands up and make an attempt.  Maybe you take a hit, maybe you fall on your arse, whatever, do that.

And again, not the first time his effort for an off target pass has been questionable.

There was an out against Chicago that was high/outside and the DB crossed his face and tried to make a play on the ball.  

An end zone pass against the Vikings where he seemed more concerned with flailing for a call than fighting though the contact and making the catch.

A deeper pass against the Vikings where the ball hit a defender in the back of the head and he made next to no effort to turn around, slow down/stop and come back for the ball.

Another deep pass against the Vikings where OBJ clearly had a TD if Baker led him and he didn’t. It looks like Baker back shouldered the throw or whatever but there was zero adjustment and just a hand tossed out towards the ball.

Im not saying he’s expected to make any of those catches per se, but I do expect any player to put forth more effort to do so. And I do think someone who is considered an elite, top 10 type of player will make some of those plays.

• Like 1

And then of course there are the handful of contested throws he hasn’t managed to come down with.

A slant against the Bears

Curl or some ish against the Cardinals

Sideline throw against the cardinals 

Hell even the throw against the Broncos where he slipped and the ball hit him in the ribs/hip.  

A back shoulder throw against the Vikings down the sideline he didn’t get his head around on or locate the ball until late and then just threw up an arm.  Slow down, turnaround and make the back shoulder catch.

That’s at least 5 plays where he was thrown a reasonable pass for a stud receiver to make a catch.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And then of course there are the handful of contested throws he hasn’t managed to come down with.

A slant against the Bears

Curl or some ish against the Cardinals

Sideline throw against the cardinals 

Hell even the throw against the Broncos where he slipped and the ball hit him in the ribs/hip.  

A back shoulder throw against the Vikings down the sideline he didn’t get his head around on or locate the ball until late and then just threw up an arm.  Slow down, turnaround and make the back shoulder catch.

That’s at least 5 plays where he was thrown a reasonable pass for a stud receiver to make a catch.

Can’t we just sum it up by saying he has had one good game in 2 1/2 years here? There are so many bad drops it’s hard to keep track. And it’s very clear that our quarterback is less productive with him out there. At a certain point why are they still running it back here.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Can’t we just sum it up by saying he has had one good game in 2 1/2 years here? There are so many bad drops it’s hard to keep track. And it’s very clear that our quarterback is less productive with him out there. At a certain point why are they still running it back here.

That’s my only issue, we aren’t as productive with him in the game.

Baker is not effective when throwing the ball towards him.

Unless someone knows of a better QB than Baker who is for sure available, we don’t really have another option.

If OBJ is still as elite as I’m being told (maybe he is, idk) and anyone with an all22 pass can see this, I’m sure the offers with quality compensation will be flooding Berry’s desk today. 

But yeah, I’ve seen enough.  Saw enough last year tbh. This square peg/round hole situation is beyond tedious at this point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That’s my only issue, we aren’t as productive with him in the game.

Baker is not effective when throwing the ball towards him.

Unless someone knows of a better QB than Baker who is for sure available, we don’t really have another option.

If OBJ is still as elite as I’m being told (maybe he is, idk) and anyone with an all22 pass can see this, I’m sure the offers with quality compensation will be flooding Berry’s desk today. 

But yeah, I’ve seen enough.  Saw enough last year tbh. This square peg/round hole situation is beyond tedious at this point.

Agreed 1000%. We can play the blame game all day long, but as you and others have noted - the cold hard truth is this offense bogs down with OBJ in the game.

I want him gone. 4pm today is not too early....

Edited by brooks1957
  • Like 1