OBJ Thread

LETSGOBROWNIES

Should we move on?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should we consciously uncouple from OBJ?

• Yes, he’s a bum who can eat my shorts.
    • Yes, he may be great, but it isn’t working out here.
    • No, 3 years is hardly enough time to figure this out. Patience is a virtue.
    • Absolutely not, my Baker -> OBJ -> Super Bowl tattoo will pay off shortly.

We have history in this area.

We took on Brock Osweiler's enormous (at the time) salary to get Houston's second round pick. That pick became........

NICHOLAS JAMAL CHUBB.

So, I think there would be interest if we say -

"Listen, do you want to see if OBJ can help you the rest of the season for free? We will continue to pay his salary - if you agree to give us a 3rd or fourth round pick".

PROBLEM. SOLVED.

• Like 2

PFT brings up a good point, they can cut him tomorrow and wash their hands of his contract. We won't get anything in return, but if it's about the money that's the way to go about it

The caveat is that only works if he gets claimed off waivers

Edited by TeHDruiD

6 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

We have history in this area.

We took on Brock Osweiler's enormous (at the time) salary to get Houston's second round pick. That pick became........

NICHOLAS JAMAL CHUBB.

So, I think there would be interest if we say -

"Listen, do you want to see if OBJ can help you the rest of the season for free? We will continue to pay his salary - if you agree to give us a 3rd or fourth round pick".

PROBLEM. SOLVED.

I think the chances of us getting a third or fourth round pick are slim to none. I think we'd be lucky to get a 6th for him, which I would still gladly take at this point.

• Like 2

He’s hard to trade.

Someone has to like him and want him.

And that someone has to be in the NFC.  You’re not trading him in conference or especially in the division.

And that someone has to have cap space for him.

And then there’s the discussion of compensation.  No one is gonna offer much imo.

Personally I’d like to see a misfit for misfit trade for ARob or really any draft pick. Pay part of his salary I’d you must.

I just don’t think he helps us, and something is better than nothing.

15 minutes ago, TeHDruiD said:

PFT brings up a good point, they can cut him tomorrow and wash their hands of his contract. We won't get anything in return, but if it's about the money that's the way to go about it

The caveat is that only works if he gets claimed off waivers

Claiming him off waivers means agreeing to his current deal iirc, which I doubt anyone would do.

Or maybe more accurately, I doubt anyone would do who also wouldn’t trade a day 3 pick to secure his services.

• Like 1

Hating on Baker, and OBJ are not mutually exclusive.

OBJ has not lived up to the expectations, for whatever reason...injuries, chemistry, age?????

Baker is regressing, and I personally don't put much of that on Beckham.  I don't know if it's scheme, injury, or whatever....but he does not appear to see the field well, have the right time clock in his head, or have the same accuracy that he is known for.

For the time being....getting rid of OBJ makes the most sense, but I absolutely have reservations about Mayfield for the near, and distant future!

Edited by big poppa pump
a misfit for misfit trade makes a lot of sense...any overpaid Tackles out there?
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

And this is stuff we know about.  Gotta wonder how OBJ is handling it in the locker room.

And he’s not wrong, I’d be frustrated too. But this offense isn’t set up for volume touches.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Hating on Baker, and OBJ are not mutually exclusive.

OBJ has not lived up to the expectations, for whatever reason...injuries, chemistry, age?????

Baker is regressing, and I personally don't put much of that on Beckham.  I don't know if it's scheme, injury, or whatever....but he does not appear to see the field well, have the right time clock in his head, or have the same accuracy that he is known for.

For the time being....getting rid of OBJ makes the most sense, but I absolutely have reservations about Mayfield for the near, and distant future!

The weird though is this is exactly how he looked in 2019 and early last year with OBJ too.

Then when he’s not in there he’s completing passes, is highly efficient, etc.

At this point Im certain of one thing.  Those two don’t work together.  They haven’t over 3 seasons in 2 offenses.  It’s unfortunate, but thems the facts.

Is OBJ washed?  No clue.  Maybe he’s still a stud.

Does Baker suck?  No clue. Maybe.  Maybe he doesn’t.  

But the only way to figure out Baker imo is to move on from OBJ as he’s actually been really damned solid without him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The weird though is this is exactly how he looked in 2019 and early last year with OBJ too.

Then when he’s not in there he’s completing passes, is highly efficient, etc.

At this point Im certain of one thing.  Those two don’t work together.  They haven’t over 3 seasons in 2 offenses.  It’s unfortunate, but thems the facts.

Is OBJ washed?  No clue.  Maybe he’s still a stud.

Does Baker suck?  No clue. Maybe.  Maybe he doesn’t.  

But the only way to figure out Baker imo is to move on from OBJ as he’s actually been really damned solid without him.

Ya I am all for cutting bait on OBJ, but I just don't see him as the reason why Baker has sucked?  When he forces the ball to him, it hasn't worked, but when he avoids him, (which he has done alot lately) then he still isn't playing well.

So ya...step 1 Get rid of OBJ...step 2 TBD (my guess is eventually cutting ties with Baker, unless he goes back to showing at least "middle of the road" QB potential.)

Edited by big poppa pump
  • Like 1