What TV Show Are You Watching?

Adrenaline_Flux

14 hours ago, SMashMouthMike said:

Finished the Sopranos. Highly Recommended. It’s maybe a top five tv drama. Not close to my favorite because I despised about all the characters. But, the death of the mafia and the virtues in America are mirrored well enough, and makes a great story. Its what godfather III SHOULD have been instead of whatever that was. IMO. The psychiatrist bits were contrived and not believable, but the rest was pretty well done. It still was a chore for me to get through because of the characters. 

I appreciated the psychiatrist bits more than I did my first time around, it breaks down the psyche, masculinity, and anxiety of an Italian monster and offers an inside scoop that we’d never seen before. Kinda hated watching it the second time around recently, but only because it created such a void for me after it was done. That for me is what turned tv into some of the quality next level stuff we get today. Masterpiece. 

• Like 4

I lowkey love Euphoria, coming from someone that didn’t assume would get into anything based on teenagers ever again. I’m honestly drawn in by the storylines and the artistically developed scenes. It’s the only show I’m actually looking forward to on a weekly basis atm. 

9 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I appreciated the psychiatrist bits more than I did my first time around, it breaks down the psyche, masculinity, and anxiety of an Italian monster and offers an inside scoop that we’d never seen before. Kinda hated watching it the second time around recently, but only because it created such a void for me after it was done. That for me is what turned tv into some of the quality next level stuff we get today. Masterpiece. 

Going through the series (2nd time for me, 1st time for my wife) and I agree with most of these points. Seeing it again is a whole different perspective. 

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Going through the series (2nd time for me, 1st time for my wife) and I agree with most of these points. Seeing it again is a whole different perspective. 

Yeah honestly the first time through I hated Paulie and Sil but last time appreciated them so much more. 

2 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

Yellowjackets is really good. I thought it was gonna be a single season series, but no. Hopefully it doesn’t drop off in S2.

Someone actually watches? Nice! Thought I was the only one lol.

Spoiler

I really liked the finale as it solidified we were lead astray a lot of times lol.

I really hope they don't go the cult angle with the second group we were kinda just introduced to before Nat was about to blow her nugget off. I just feel like the cult angle is so played out but I but I do think we're going that way. The actresses are doing a phenomenal job. 

It’s always sunny’s latest season. I’m watching it in part cause I’m also listening to their podcast. I’ve been critical of their recent stuff as I feel like it’s gotten stale (only recent ep I even liked was when Dennis and Mac moved to the suburbs) but this whole season was pretty refreshing. It was a good idea to go to Ireland for the season. 

The first two episodes of How I Met Your Father were okay. I rewatched the pilot to HIMYM afterward to compare and there is no comparison, the Mother trumps the Father in terms of pilots by far. The character dynamics are well establish in Mother from the get. They are also immediately unique. Father's characters are more cookie cutter and the dynamics arent established because most of them JUST MET EACH OTHER. Which works for their new spin on the narrative but really makes it suffer. You need ensembles to already be... ensembled and then you add the wildcard to the mix. It's a trope but by god its a trope that freaking works and has a great track record. Say what you will about some of these shows that follow this forumla, but they are all successful; HIMYM, Friends, New Girl, Big Bang Theory, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Superstore, Cheers, Fresh Prince, Ted Lasso, IT Crowd, and these are just the ones that come to mind in the moment. 

Just finished Mythic Quest (until they film more)....that was very good television. Even when over the top, I recognized the reality it was based in (esp. anything about working in a decent sized company). The episodes with the writer were very, very, good television. Like, you could watch just those two and have a good show.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

The first two episodes of How I Met Your Father were okay. I rewatched the pilot to HIMYM afterward to compare and there is no comparison, the Mother trumps the Father in terms of pilots by far. The character dynamics are well establish in Mother from the get. They are also immediately unique. Father's characters are more cookie cutter and the dynamics arent established because most of them JUST MET EACH OTHER. Which works for their new spin on the narrative but really makes it suffer. You need ensembles to already be... ensembled and then you add the wildcard to the mix. It's a trope but by god its a trope that freaking works and has a great track record. Say what you will about some of these shows that follow this forumla, but they are all successful; HIMYM, Friends, New Girl, Big Bang Theory, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Superstore, Cheers, Fresh Prince, Ted Lasso, IT Crowd, and these are just the ones that come to mind in the moment. 

When I saw the ad for this, I thought they were re-booting Friends, not HIMYM. 

I think people like these so much because we all want close friendships, at least the data out there suggests we are lonelier than ever.....so I think these fill that void somehow.

Edited by PrplChilPill

4 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

Just finished Mythic Quest (until they film more)....that was very good television. Even when over the top, I recognized the reality it was based in (esp. anything about working in a decent sized company). The episodes with the writer were very, very, good television. Like, you could watch just those two and have a good show.

The shovel episode may be my favorite single episode of any comedy show I have ever seen.

I still chuckle just thinking about it.

• Like 1

I finished station 11. Eh, not sure how I feel about this one. Was hoping for a darker ending, but it was alright if u can get through the beginning and middle episodes. I stopped and came back to it. Lots of time jumps, and the premise of a traveling Shakespearean acting guild in the post apocalyptic Midwest seemed bizarre and absurd. I disliked the second to last episode quite a bit, but couldn’t quit at this point, lol. 

True detective, season 3. Pretty damn solid so far. It’s much better than the second season. Not as intriguing as the first, but it’s picking up steam. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike

Joe Pera Talks With You is the best show of all-time. Heartwarming, not at all cynical comedy. Watching that show is my happy place. I love all of the characters, the jokes are great, and the writing is excellent. It is more of a niche type of show, so it may not be for everybody, but the episodes are like 10-14 minutes long each. So I recommend everyone watch 1 or 2 episodes to see if it is for you.

Season 3 just came out on HBO Max, and now all 3 seasons are on there.