Rams trade for Von Miller

Blackstar12

32 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Winning one superbowl is the goal. Multiple superbowls are a rarity.

ONE is enough to keep a fan base and ownership happy, keep a coach from being fired for a decade, keep a GM in the seat for years on end. Just ONE. Anything beyond that is out of focus at this point in time. It is extremely hard to win one so cannot concern yourself beyond that as a fan, team, etc.

We're over here just trying to win a game, man.

I get it, though, but I do think they've shortened the window from 2-3 years with the Stafford trade down to just this one.

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

Winning one superbowl is the goal. Multiple superbowls are a rarity.

ONE is enough to keep a fan base and ownership happy, keep a coach from being fired for a decade, keep a GM in the seat for years on end. Just ONE. Anything beyond that is out of focus at this point in time. It is extremely hard to win one so cannot concern yourself beyond that as a fan, team, etc.

Unless you’re the Eagles…

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 1:46 PM, ET80 said:

I get where @Kirill is coming from, simply because I've seen Bill O'Brien as a GM - but that isn't even apples and oranges here.

Les Snead is a competent GM who understands how to derive value from his mid round picks and supplement his high end core with players that Sean McVay could get the most out of. When the Rams go all in, they're sitting on something like pocket aces or two kings.

Bill O'Brien went "all in" with an Yellow 4 from Uno and a "Bank Error in your favor, collect $20" card from Monopoly. (Then traded the Bank Error card to Arizona, no less). 

LAR is balancing an established core with ancillary parts, then bringing in big pieces to add to the core, while adding in additional ancillary parts with mid round picks. They'll lose guys, but they have a deck of young dudes ready to step in (Van Jefferson for Brandin Cooks, Darrell Henderson for Cam Akers/Todd Gurley, etc).

It's working, and this house of cards MIGHT come down, but it'll have to start with a busted trade - so far, every first they've traded has turned out to be better than having the first to begin with. So, why bother?

Lmao

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Riftty said:

Ask the Eagles how that panned out lol.

I think where the Eagles went wrong is how they handled the QB situation. The locker room was divided with Foles and Wentz. Wentz couldnt stay healthy and had one outlier season in which he got paid. Foles isnt a long term franchise QB but he did have that magical stretch that got the team a Superbowl plus he was a team guy where as reports came out that Wentz wasnt a team guy. Then dont get me started on Doug Pederson. So if people want to call the Eagles a flash in the pan what they did that one season thats a great example. The Rams organization is way more button up and connected. I truly think McVay and Les are doing all they can to win a ring for Donald. I think Donald and the team want to help win a ring for Stafford. Its all togetherness. Then they brought in another team player in Von Miller. So when comparing the Rams to the Eagles its not even close. The Rams right now are a way better franchise than the Eagles was at that time and now. We just didnt know how bad the Eagles situation was at the time until after they won the Superbowl. 

5 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Major respect to the Rams GM for going all in, id rather go for it now and rebuild than be a supposed contender with not enough to get over the top

I think that is what stopped guys like ARod and Brees from winning more than one title. Like its hard to win championships. You have to continue to push and not settle. For example, the year the Saints couldve had Suh but instead they didnt push hard enough for him. They instead went into the draft and pushed for a rookie Davenport. Davenport not only was a rookie but a raw rookie at that. Yes he had the ceiling to be great but it would take years for him to even get to that ceiling if he ever did. Doesnt look like has done it but it dont matter bc Brees is retired now. Had the Saints pushed hard to get Suh the Saints couldve went to the Superbowl that year. Suh definitely was difference maker in the Rams going to the Superbowl that year and he helped the Bucs on defense when they made that run to the Superbowl and won last year. So its just things like that.

The Packers shouldve went hard after Julio. They shouldve went hard after OBJ. I like Cobb but settling for him and just being ok with only having Adams as the main weapon at wideout hasnt helped the Packers. So yeah the Rams going all in I love it and I hope they continue to do it bc despite what people say the Rams are going to be around for a very long time. Les isnt going anywhere and neither is McVay. And for us Rams fans we deserve it bc I felt like after we won the Superbowl in 1999 had **** Vermil not retired the Rams couldve won more Superbowls and extended their success. Instead Vermil retired and MIke Martz took over and showed why he shouldnt ever be a head coach. Then that strung bad coach after bad coach until we finally got it right with McVay who is still the youngest coach in the NFL at 35yrs old. Same age as me btw and I love it lol. 

6 hours ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

We're over here just trying to win a game, man.

I get it, though, but I do think they've shortened the window from 2-3 years with the Stafford trade down to just this one.

I really dont think they did. 

2nd and 3rd round picks may not start/develop for a year or two. So if they resign Von to a 2-3 year deal (which is likely imo) that they will have actually cemented the window open for 2-3 years rather than 3-5 years later.

This was a great trade for the rams, especially after they re-sign Von. I dont know how anyone could say anything otherwise. They are a top 2-3 team in the NFL, without question

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'm done with the McNair family.

I'll take your suggestion under consideration. I'll check with my fandom-sherpa.

@ramssuperbowl99 - how about the Rams?

We don't have any unlikeable players or coaches.

Donald and Ramsey are so unique they're just fun to watch. Particularly Ramsey. I've noticed this year that he is probably unique in NFL history - he tackles better than a lot of linebackers and still elite in coverage.

Von Miller just adds to this.

Easy to root for Stafford - he gave his all to the Lions for years.

It's a lot of fun to point out that, years after when you can actually assess a draft, despite the Rams trading so many picks end up having better drafts than teams who keep their first round picks. Great example of this is the 2018 draft - for the first few years it didn't look great, but now we have a starting caliber backup LT (started against Houston last week), a center who has been a huge upgrade over last year and Sebastian Joseph-Day who is a plus starter on the DL. And we didn't pick until the end of the third round that year.

And best of all, most of us were Rams fans for the Super Bowl win - AND through the worst five year stretch in NFL history. We've literally been at the top (still the only team to score 500+ points in three straight seasons, have three straight MVPs, last team to have MVP and win the Super Bowl on the same year).....and at the bottom and completely irrelevant. So we're an interesting bunch.

Edited by FrantikRam
  • Like 2

On 11/1/2021 at 9:11 PM, BroncoBruin said:

Why is that Chiefs homer derailing a thread about Von Miller and the Rams?

Because now that his team is struggling he secretly wants to become a Rams fan.

He’ll prolly get his application rejected by the Rams Fan Committee.

We instead are trying to work a deal with @ET80 but his asking price is too high. Seeing how we are out of draft picks for the next decade, it’ll be hard to acquire him. 

The deal is currently in our counsel’s hands @jrry32

Edited by rocky_rams
  • Like 2