Browns release WR OBJ, Signs with Rams

RaidersAreOne

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Maybe?  

I think the big issue is how do you want the organization to appear to potential FA and the rest of the roster.  Vindictive isn’t a good look and players don’t forget easily.

At least if they release him I think players would respect that.

Thats very true. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I don't think that this is as big of a deal as you would think. He had no real value. Trade deadline was yesterday, they could potentially move him this off season, but given what a malcontent OBJ was, he likely would have threatened non reporting for a team he didn't want to go to, may threaten non reporting without a new deal, etc. 

This. Supposedly the best offers we got were a late round pick and we were expected to eat most of his salary. I still would have done it personally, but it's not a big deal to just release him instead.

If anything, we should have moved him this past offseason, and even then I don't think his value would have been particularly high.

• Like 1

Releasing him before season is over would be dumb. Cleveland still has a solid shot at playoffs. You don’t want to risk him going to KC or wherever tf and then you gotta go against that.

And how bout the thought that it will be okay because a college teammate is there? 

Edited by DontTazeMeBro

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think that this is as big of a deal as you would think. He had no real value. Trade deadline was yesterday, they could potentially move him this off season, but given what a malcontent OBJ was, he likely would have threatened non reporting for a team he didn't want to go to, may threaten non reporting without a new deal, etc. 

also, unless he had made his issues known behind the scenes prior to yesterday, they had like a few hours to work out a deal.

Working through figuring out what was going on with the posts, where OBJ’s head was at with all of this, discussing things with coaches and likely some players and then trying to work out a deal all in 8 hours is…. a lot.

if he is cut then the browns are cowards. There is no benefit of letting him go right now. No financial gain as it will cost them the same amount of money as it would for keeping him on the roster. Having your dad and lebron do your dirty work publicly is childish along with this act of taking your ball and going home since you didnt get moved. Tired of grown men who get paid millions acting like spoiled brats. Finish out the year then part ways, acting like this will only solidify teams from not wanting you when you are a free agent. 

Just now, soflbillsfan said:

if he is cut then the browns are cowards.

I mean, what choice do they have?  Digging their heels in and “punishing” him isn’t gonna be looked upon favorably by players, even if it’s justified in the eyes of fans.

There is no benefit of letting him go right now.

I’ve been on record for over a year saying it’s addition by subtraction.

No financial gain as it will cost them the same amount of money as it would for keeping him on the roster.

Correct, but it’s not about money, it’s about setting a precedent, continuing to try to develop a culture, avoid toxic relationships and disharmony in the locker room.

Having your dad and lebron do your dirty work publicly is childish along with this act of taking your ball and going home since you didnt get moved. Tired of grown men who get paid millions acting like spoiled brats. Finish out the year then part ways, acting like this will only solidify teams from not wanting you when you are a free agent. 

Yes.

• Like 1