Browns release WR OBJ, Signs with Rams

RaidersAreOne

8 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

It's not really an indictment on the current front office (other than they should've traded him earlier). It was Dorsey who traded for OBJ. Berry and Stefanski thought they could make it work. Clearly, they were wrong.

The only way fans are "loving" it is if they wanted to see OBJ go away. They're now getting their wish.

Stefanski sure has his work cut out for him. If he manages to somehow get you in the playoffs during all that current ****storm on multiple levels he surely will do great things for you in the future. OFC i'm hoping this will lead to a full blown implosion and me thinking same old CLE. 

22 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

Loving it as in blowing the whole thing up? Hoping the GM gets canned? Making a scapegoat of Mayfield? What is the play for fans to love that BS.

Yes, loving it because it means we all win the lottery, learn to fly, can see through walls... WTH are you talking about? You filled in a bunch of stuff that has zero chance of happening or being related to a player who was seen as potentially toxic before and has unfortunately proven it to be the case. I just meant it's entertaining intrigue. Read what's in front of you, not what you just concoct.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I don't think that this is as big of a deal as you would think. He had no real value. Trade deadline was yesterday, they could potentially move him this off season, but given what a malcontent OBJ was, he likely would have threatened non reporting for a team he didn't want to go to, may threaten non reporting without a new deal, etc. 

If his value was low before, I can assure you it's even less now.

Browns probably wanted a 3rd for him and were likely offered no more than a 4th. Now, he's going to likely be released and they get nothing. The entire ODB/Browns scenario played out really poorly and I still feel like ODB is still one of the more talented WR's in the NFL, he's just been banged up with a run heavy offense and a barely average QB. He'll bounce back wherever he gets scooped up.

5 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Browns probably wanted a 3rd for him and were likely offered no more than a 4th. Now, he's going to likely be released and they get nothing. The entire ODB/Browns scenario played out really poorly and I still feel like ODB is still one of the more talented WR's in the NFL, he's just been banged up with a run heavy offense and a barely average QB. He'll bounce back wherever he gets scooped up.

I think the difference is pretty negligible. I'm not even sure someone was offering a 4th. I don't doubt that the value could be lower (hard to say because there may actually be increased demand in the off season when teams are in a better shape financially and there could be more teams actually interested in being in that market with OBJ), but I just think that what they are losing out on isn't really that big of a deal. 

This is such a weird situation all-around.  I've been watching football for a long time, and I can't remember a QB/WR combo somehow not being able to develop chemistry 3+ years in.  Even accounting for the time Beckham's missed for injury, it just doesn't make a lot of sense.  Not to say it isn't true, I just find it really odd.  Also never heard of a good receiver somehow making the team worse as some allege with Beckham.  Even if Beckham was simply a #2 and not a #1 guy any longer, you wouldn't think his presence would regress the offense or passing game that much.

Edited by iknowcool

13 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Yes, loving it because it means we all win the lottery, learn to fly, can see through walls... WTH are you talking about? You filled in a bunch of stuff that has zero chance of happening or being related to a player who was seen as potentially toxic before and has unfortunately proven it to be the case. I just meant it's entertaining intrigue. Read what's in front of you, not what you just concoct.

OBJ topic isolated, cool. 

Reading through your subforum one could get the idea OBJ is gone, Landry better follow him cause he's washed and you may need to look for your next QBOTF.

Sure reads as the only issue your team has right now is Beckham Jr.  and everything will be just fine. See you in a few weeks, probably will be a good series with lots of laughs on both sides.

6 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

Saints value players over draft picks, they were the only team to call in that was interested for him. The issue was about the finances as no one is wanting to pay that much for a guy who acts the way he does. They would have had to pay his prorated amount 14 mil that he was due if traded and saints dont have the funds to make the move. Browns didnt see the benefit of having to pay his salary for a low compensational pick. His value is low and he just proved why it is with how he acts. 

30 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

ok and what happens if they claim him and he says nah im good and your now stuck with that distraction with nothing to show for it other then it is a bad decisional move to go after a guy knowing he wants to play for a contender?

Then we cut him in the off-season. You think Urban and Jags care about bad decisions knives? lol

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m just curious as to when he started being disgruntled.  

It was evident on Sunday he was pissed, and obviously yesterday, but had this been brewing behind the scenes?  If so, the FO is dumb for not moving him.

Honeslty though, I think OBJ wants cut more than traded.  He wants to pick his landing spot, which I understand. I wouldn’t doubt he waited for this exact reason.  

Beckham has never shown up Baker on the field despite having plenty of reason to and always had good things to say about the team to the media.

7 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Will say it again, Odell and Baker not working is a huge indictment against Baker. 

...and it's going to stick. No matter what happens moving forward.

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

BS, they are making OBJ the scapegoat. The lack of accountability is going to be the downfall of this regime....

This was the only real poison pill for this team heading into this season. They have a problem with their franchise QB's ability to play at a high level and this WR/QB relationship just exposes it. I don't think you could honestly expect any talented WR to keep quiet in this situation.

Downfall is too strong but it shouldn't be surprising to anyone how this is playing out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, berlin calling said:

Reading through your subforum one could get the idea OBJ is gone, Landry better follow him cause he's washed and you may need to look for your next QBOTF.

Landry is declining physically and he didn’t have a lot of wiggle room there.  He’s a good player, but not a guy you’re gonna pay 15 million moving forward.

As far as finding our next QB, welcome to the Browns subforum since ‘99.  Mayfield is here at a minimum through next season, there’s really not much to discuss there whether folks wanna hear it or not.

5 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

Sure reads as the only issue your team has right now is Beckham Jr.  and everything will be just fine. See you in a few weeks, probably will be a good series with lots of laughs on both sides.

You could have read all that a year ago in the same forum threads. What's your point? These are all separate issues you're conflating. Many saw Landry gone by the end of next year at the latest. Most saw OBJ wasn't working--tried to do my best homering until the very end but to no avail. Baker has been split in the forum since the day we drafted him. None of this is especially relevant to OBJ's meltdown.

3 minutes ago, Chops013 said:

Then we cut him in the off-season. You think Urban and Jags care about bad decisions knives? lol

so you take on 8 million just to cut him 10 weeks from now? Doesnt make any sense to me as to why you would waste the money when your on a complete rebuild and could use that 8 mill in roll over money to a guy who would actually contribute for your team next year

7 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Beckham has never shown up Baker on the field despite having plenty of reason to and always had good things to say about the team to the media.

Shown up how?  By punching him in the nuts or something?  Then no.  By walking past him when he took a late hit out of bounds?  By walking to the sideline while the rest of the team celebrated a rushing TD?  By flailing his arms and looking like a sulky teenager when he doesn’t get the ball?  Then yes. And this was all in one game 3 days ago btw.

And I love how you add “on the field” like he didn’t just drop a bomb in the shtter yesterday. 😂 

...and it's going to stick. No matter what happens moving forward.

Even if Baker wins a dozen Super Bowls?  No matter what, right?  This is a dumb take.

If Baker and the offense get going, no one will care.

This was the only real poison pill for this team heading into this season. They have a problem with their franchise QB's ability to play at a high level and this WR/QB relationship just exposes it. I don't think you could honestly expect any talented WR to keep quiet in this situation.

Why do no other wide receivers on the team have this issue?   I mean, maybe Baker ain’t it, but this issue is strictly with OBJ.  The stats are on page 2 or whatever for anyone who thinks I’m full of ish.

Downfall is too strong but it shouldn't be surprising to anyone how this is playing out.

No kidding, he did this 3 years ago in NY.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 1