WEEK 12: 6-5 Denver Broncos @ 7-4 KC Chiefs - 8:20pm EST/6:20pm MST- 12/5/21

broncos67

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

What a pathetic offensive performance. Absolutely disgusting to watch. The lone bright spot of course was Javonte Williams, who is an absolute star. He's going to be special. Thank god we drafted him.

Teddy looked atrocious. He made a series of terrible throws. Refuses to scan the field. Held the ball way too long. It's just hard to watch. An even semi-competent offense would have won this game with the defensive performance we put up tonight. 

Shurmur needs to be fired tomorrow. He is the worst OC Denver has had in some time, and that's saying something. The route concepts are non-existent. The playcalling generally sucks. Why isn't Jeudy being used to his strengths? Why not run some quick routes to Patrick and Sutton? There's just no creativity in this offense. It's as boring as it gets. 

Denver will likely win one more game next week against DET (maybe), but I see us going 1-4 the rest of the way. At that point, I can only hope the entire coaching staff is fired the second the season ends. Rodgers, Wilson, or Kenny Pickett. Anything other than these guys and we're in trouble.

I think the only good thing about this game was knowing that the Broncos, outside of the QB position, have the talent to hang with the Chiefs.  Get the coaching right, and the Qb position solidified, and we are formidable. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Same old story for us versus the Chiefs. Vic Fangio and our Defense had one of the best nights an opposing team has had in Arrowhead in Andy Reid's entire tenure as Chiefs HC.

They held Patrick Mahomes to his worst QBR of his career, and were only responsible for THIRTEEN points on the road vs Patrick Mahomes. That is a simply incredible performance. 

But, as we all feared, the passing game was just horrific. Even with a good run/pass balance, even with a good running game (well, good RB at least), this anemic Pass Offense reared it's ugly head again. Teddy was so bad. I guess the all-22 will show how bad the playcalling and WR play was. My initial view is that those were nearly as bad as Teddy as well.

I just can't for the life of me understand why on 3rd and short, against a blitz heavy w/ man coverage team, we don't find a way to involve Jerry Jeudy who was a 1st round pick entirely because of his ability to beat 1v1 man coverage. Not a single quick-hitting slant or out route to Jeudy in those clutch downs. Someone explain it to me.

We all know this game was lost the second that 4th and 2 failed on the 20 play drive. 

I would absolutely love to know whether Shurmur knew on 3rd and 2 that we'd be going for it on 4th down. Surely he did? If not, that is a disastrous piece of Head Coaching from Vic.

But if he did know, and he still threw on 3rd and 2, he needs firing like, now. WHY are you throwing on 3rd and 2 then running on 4th and 2????? WHY, if you know you have two goes at it, would you not run on 3rd and 4th down????? 2 plays, 2 yards. You HAVE to back your team to be able to do that.

I thought we'd get blown out so props to our Defense. But this passing Offense is just so painful on the road especially.

Pretty disgusting to waste such a defensive gem.

That said, thats about Shurmurs worst yet. How can you not take advantage of a running game that rips off 7+ yards regularly. Unbelievable!

He needs to go watch film of the late 90's Bronco's. Lot's of it! Rod Smith's 7 yard slants, Sharpes brush blocks, then two strides to the seam and h'es gone. I could go on for a while. Those things are there. Ahhhh, I gotta stop. 

Fire Shurmur and McMahon this morning! That is all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orangecrush151 said:

Another big thing I see, other then no

t running it on 3rd n 2 on that 20 play drive. You have 70 seconds left and on 4th down your rb is looking around looking confused right when the ball is snapped. Call a timeout there, get it right…. Another form of incompetence on fangio part imo 

That was awful, but thats all on Shurmur. Fangio doesn't call "O" TO's.

I can't have been the only one that chuckled when that botched Punt happened. It was so predictable that Special Teams would find a way to impede us.

Honestly, what is the point in Spencer. Is the measure of success really just being able to catch the ball? That is worth a roster spot, is it? Because the guy doesn't do anything (positive) in any unit. Surely there is someone unsigned right now that is a 6/10 returner but a 8 or even 9/10 gunner?

They wouldn't need to know scheme because Spencer contributes nothing on Offense either. I get that his own guy went in to him, but he HAS to call fair catch and wave his guys off. That doesn't happen if he does that.

5 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

That was awful, but thats all on Shurmur. Fangio doesn't call "O" TO's.

Nah, that's on Fangio. He has total control of timeouts and general game management as the Head Coach. He's watching the game in a vital moment.

I agree with @Orangecrush151 - it was so obvious Williams didn't know what was going on. To be honest, Teddy should've called timeout as well. 

It was such a pivotal moment in the game that it was absolutely worth calling one for.

Edited by lomaxgrUK

2 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I can't have been the only one that chuckled when that botched Punt happened. It was so predictable that Special Teams would find a way to impede us.

Honestly, what is the point in Spencer. Is the measure of success really just being able to catch the ball? That is worth a roster spot, is it? Because the guy doesn't do anything (positive) in any unit. Surely there is someone unsigned right now that is a 6/10 returner but a 8 or even 9/10 gunner?

They wouldn't need to know scheme because Spencer contributes nothing on Offense either. I get that his own guy went in to him, but he HAS to call fair catch and wave his guys off. That doesn't happen if he does that.

Other than catching the ball, He offers absolutely nothing as a returner. That's for sure. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Meh rather have Howell than Pickett. Howell gets a bad rap but has had to try and play Superman to bail out a bad defense on an offense that lost their four top playmakers to the last draft. 

So agree.  I hope we are able to see that he's in a very bad situation.  So many qb's are asked to do too much with so little at all levels.  Realistically you can't win in that scenario and you end up looking like crap when in fact you might not be.............  And KC set the gameplan to defend us.  Take away the short passing and let Teddy try to go deep because he can't or more correctly HE WONT GO DEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Other than catching the ball, He offers absolutely nothing as a returner. That's for sure. 

I found myself thinking this while watching last night. He contributes very little, he's not used on offense in a meaningful way (or ever, really). Feels like a waste of a roster spot. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

So agree.  I hope we are able to see that he's in a very bad situation.  So many qb's are asked to do too much with so little at all levels.  Realistically you can't win in that scenario and you end up looking like crap when in fact you might not be.............  And KC set the gameplan to defend us.  Take away the short passing and let Teddy try to go deep because he can't or more correctly HE WONT GO DEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

It doesn’t even need to be deep - the 15-25 yard area is where KC pass D is vulnerable.  It’s been how you beat them.   Of course going deep can work at times.   But TeddyB won’t go there.   He checks down so quickly.   It’s why we don’t lose vs worse teams because he won’t give the game away in those situations.  But in shootouts or trailing he just can’t get it done.   

As much as OC Shurmur needs to go it’s not just about scheme.   KC dares teams to beat them past the short stuff.   Going with more short routes plays into their hands and why they can ball hawk so effectively.   QB’s who throw that intermediate - deep ball give KC’s D fits.  It’s no coincidence the QB’s who have succeeded are guys like Allen / Herbert / even Carr (when they had Ruggs’ verticality). 

At least last night shows the QB need. In NFLGen there were multiple non-Denver fans who posted the same thought many of us have had this year - get a real QB this is 9-3 type team now that’s built to contend.   They’re not wrong.   It’s just whether GM Paton can deliver this offseason. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

So I usually like to post during the game but the kiddo is sick and that makes the wife act crazy so I was watching what I could on delay. There’s really not much more to add than to what the rest of you said. 

Paton is a good GM but, and I mentioned this the other day, he has the most pivotal three months of his career upcoming (and he has to go through it with an unsettled, at least publicly unsettled, ownership situation). He needs to get a head coach, a real offensive coordinator and a QB.

Half measures won’t work; this fanbase won’t tolerate a Minshew/Carr/Cousins/Garrapolo type signing. Neither will pairing one of those with a rookie 2nd+ round pick that “We’re really excited about!” 

It has to be one of the star QBs, a legit HC, an OC who people can get excited about. Plain and simple. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I found myself thinking this while watching last night. He contributes very little, he's not used on offense in a meaningful way (or ever, really). Feels like a waste of a roster spot. 

We already have a couple of guys who can replace him IMO. Just signed Kerryith Whyte Jr has 4.37 speed and better size than Spencer, while Adrian Killins Jr got injured but also has return experience. And if that doesn't work, Paton has like 11 draft picks this year.