Week 13 General Discussion

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Great play by Dunlap. I'm not sure I'm putting that on Jimmy?

Imagine being a playcaller who has ripped through a defense with pass after pass on the final drive of the game then suddenly deciding once you're within the 10 to just burn through 2 important downs by using a very ineffective run game. 

Flabbergasted by the change over once the niners got to the 7. 

Jimmy? I was talking about Lamar Jackson.

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

If we're talking about play lately only, are the Patriots, Chiefs, and Colts the best teams in the AFC? Colts will probably barely get in, but that's mostly cause their schedule is brutal beyond words.

Pats have the best D and points differential by far, but have done all of that against mostly easy opposition

KC are dangerous as always but recently faltering too often. You feel if just a few things click we are back to our dominant league beating team

Colts are strong, but You hardly need a schematic to know how to beat them. Slow Taylor down and force Wentz to play hero. Their D isn’t as good as some would have you believe 

I’ll add Buffalo back in. If they beat NE, then everyone is back to talking about them as the class of the AFC

3 hours ago, BigTrav said:

Pats have the best D and points differential by far, but have done all of that against mostly easy opposition

KC are dangerous as always but recently faltering too often. You feel if just a few things click we are back to our dominant league beating team

Colts are strong, but You hardly need a schematic to know how to beat them. Slow Taylor down and force Wentz to play hero. Their D isn’t as good as some would have you believe 

I’ll add Buffalo back in. If they beat NE, then everyone is back to talking about them as the class of the AFC

Pats point differential is +146, the Bills is +144 so not sure what you mean “by far”

• Like 1

15 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Eagles fans downing that Minshew kool-aid I see. Just you wait.

I'm a packers fan. Another woeful display from Lawrence and the Jags again last night. 

He's had more games with less than 5ypa(!) than he has had games with over 6.5ypa - 4 of his 12 games so far. Minshew had 1 of these in 23 starts. He was also throwing TD's at over double the rate of Lawrence (4.7% vs 2.1%) while throwing picks at just over half (1.3% vs. 2.1%). 

Lawrence had enormous upside going for him, but playing for that mess of a team which gets brought up isn't even much excuse in this specific comparison, because if anything Minshew had even worse around him. Had Lawrence been taken as a "huge upside but very raw" QB in the 4-6th rounds his starting career might well be effectively over already. 

I get that Lawrence can and improve, and has a sky high ceiling, and that rookie QB seasons can be struggles even for some great players - he may well turn into a HOFer once Meyer gets goen for all we know. This is more me griping that Minshew got screwed over for not being a glitzy, dazzly enough name than anything else (referring more to Jacksonville eagerness to bench him here than selecting Lawrence when they did wind up with the top pick). Had Minshew been taken in the first round or two, he never would have even been droppedat least prior to Lawrence getting drafted. Just the Jags being as fickle as always, I guess. They're not the only team like this, and it just grates me. 

1 hour ago, Billy86 said:

I'm a packers fan. Another woeful display from Lawrence and the Jags again last night. 

He's had more games with less than 5ypa(!) than he has had games with over 6.5ypa - 4 of his 12 games so far. Minshew had 1 of these in 23 starts. He was also throwing TD's at over double the rate of Lawrence (4.7% vs 2.1%) while throwing picks at just over half (1.3% vs. 2.1%). 

Lawrence had enormous upside going for him, but playing for that mess of a team which gets brought up isn't even much excuse in this specific comparison, because if anything Minshew had even worse around him. Had Lawrence been taken as a "huge upside but very raw" QB in the 4-6th rounds his starting career might well be effectively over already. 

I get that Lawrence can and improve, and has a sky high ceiling, and that rookie QB seasons can be struggles even for some great players - he may well turn into a HOFer once Meyer gets goen for all we know. This is more me griping that Minshew got screwed over for not being a glitzy, dazzly enough name than anything else (referring more to Jacksonville eagerness to bench him here than selecting Lawrence when they did wind up with the top pick). Had Minshew been taken in the first round or two, he never would have even been droppedat least prior to Lawrence getting drafted. Just the Jags being as fickle as always, I guess. They're not the only team like this, and it just grates me. 

There’s a Lawrence thread that has plenty of info in it so I’m not going to continue to rehash his current situation.

Gardner Minshew got 20 starts here, I really don’t get where this “Jaguars never even gave him a fair shot” stuff is coming from. The guy is fun as hell and he made things interesting and gave some fans hope for a while. He has his positives and definitely can have his moments as we saw yesterday. But ultimately the guy doesn’t have an NFL arm/the arm strength to be a long term answer in the NFL. Most of his throws yesterday even were sitting ducks/taking forever to get to his WRs if you go back and watch, he just has good accuracy and knows how to throw that fade, especially in/near the end zone. Play 2 safeties against him and he’s pretty much cooked. Doesn’t even get into the issue of what he does to the OL and how he consistently left clean pockets/felt pressure that wasn’t there and caused pressures/sacks that never should have been. That was part of the reason he deservedly got benched for Luton/Glennon last year.

Bottom line is he isn’t a starting caliber QB. He’s at best a spot starter/capable backup that can play hero ball/give you a little spark here and there. Rely on him for long and you’ll see.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bigbadbuff said:

Pats point differential is +146, the Bills is +144 so not sure what you mean “by far”

Not only that, but the Pats differential is boosted by having already played the Jets 2x, something the Bills haven't had the luxury of yet. In the first game the bills won 45-17. I doubt a second game would be much closer.

2 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Not only that, but the Pats differential is boosted by having already played the Jets 2x, something the Bills haven't had the luxury of yet. In the first game the bills won 45-17. I doubt a second game would be much closer.

Haven't Buffalo had the easiest schedule in the league so far? Could be wrong. It's impressive they have such a good +/- despite losing to Jacksonville