Panthers fire OC Joe Brady

RaidersAreOne

Was Joe Brady the #1 problem for our offense?  Absolutely not.  However, and I said this earlier in the season, he gets very overhyped.  I don't really get why he's touted as some genius whiz.  

Sure, it is easy to say he had Sam Darnold.  What could he have done?  Until you realize... Darnold regressed in Carolina, despite having better weapons than he had at any point in New York.

Darnold in 3 years in New York, which includes his rookie campaign... 59.8%, 213 YPG, 45 TDs (3.7 TD%), 39 INTs (3.2 INT%), 6.6 Y/A, 78.6 QB Rating

Darnold this year... 59.5%, 220 YPG, 7 TDs (2.3 TD%), 11 INTs (3.6 INT%), 6.5 Y/A, 71.3 QB Rating

Darnold's numbers in 2019 were much better than they were for us this year.  

And it isn't just Darnold.  Look at Bridgewater's numbers in 2019 for New Orleans and 2021 for Denver.  He's turning the ball over less, scoring more touchdowns, and a much better QB rating.  

One issue is how basic his passing concepts are.  Robby alluded to it earlier this season too, when he implied DBs are finding it easy to jump routes because of how predictable they are.  We saw it happen last game too on an in-route to DJ Moore. 

I'm not saying Brady sucks or that firing him fixes our issues.  But I think a lot of people are getting caught up in the hype.  I think he needs more experience, for sure.  This was his first time ever calling plays at the Pro or College level.  And it showed.  It was easy for teams to out game-plan us.

I think a comparable situation might be Sean McDermott when he was DC with the Eagles.  At the time a young coach who had potential, but needed a lot more experience to put it all together.  And McDermott learned under Rivera in Carolina and developed into a great defensive mind.  

Quite frankly this was all a mess from the get go.  This coaching staff just has too much inexperience.  Rhule and Brady could have both benefited mightily from working with someone with a lot of NFL experience, but instead we built a staff of mostly guys who were only used to the college game.  

• Like 8

7 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I don't see Rhule being fired this year.

But I say you can't Rhule it out either.

Puns aside, Zac Taylor needs to focus on being a head coach and give up playcalling.  And after three years, I still don't know if Brian Callahan is capable.  Joe Burrow was at it with coaches in the game, hours after this came through.  I could see him brought in as a QB consultant or whatever, then make him OC in the offseason.  There are just enough dots there to try to connect.

On 12/5/2021 at 10:32 AM, Texansfan713 said:

Crazy he got fired on his day off.  I think he goes back to college.  He will have a long list of OC positions to choose from.

I don't even think I'd limit it to OC postings.  I could see a mid-tier D1 program or a not-anymore program trying to claw back toward prominence looking at him as a HC if he shows at least remote promise as a recruiter or network of recruiters.  Oregon as a replacement for Cristobal could be an option (particularly if he was able to reach out to his old boss Orgeron (even setting aside the great tongue-twister of "Orgeron for Oregon") as part of his staff.