The good, the bad, the we suck again vs. WFT edition

big_palooka

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Meh, we also said Carr needed weapons and have given him a sub 4 ypc RB, a backup TE, Zay Jones, and someone that used to be known as Desean Jackson that comes in once every 6 or 7 plays while gutting our offensive line. 

Even if we had a great D, we gutted the offense down to the point of barely having one. 

If we still had Ruggs, Agholor, Gabe, Hudson, and Incognito to go with Renfrow, Waller, Jacobs/Drake, and Jones/Edwards, I think we would've looked much much better on offense, especially with the D we have that's better but not perfect. 

Basically Carr with last year's offense + 2021's defense = likely high success.

Carr with 2021's offense + defense = essentially no offense to speak of.

The problem is, Carr has performed poorly in the red zone and on 3rd downs regardless of the talent around him for years. 

I like Carr, but he's inadequate in areas you need a QB to be good in. Under pressure, red zone and 3rd downs. 

When a QB shows you who he is, believe him. You can put more talent around him all you want, but until he improves in these areas, he will still be inconsistent and lead average teams. 

20 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

To be fair you must account for other things here. First and foremost being that literally no QB in the league isn't guilty of this. None. Second, it's hard to go through your progressions when your line isn't doing the best job at blocking for you. Hindsight makes things seem much easier than it might actually be.

I'm talking about inaccurate throws he made to open guys. Waller vs NYG, Helm last week, Edwards this week.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

It's not an excuse for Carr so much as an indictment on the team we've fielded. 

We don't have a good offense at all. Playing backups/noobs at 8 spots on the offense due to cuts and injuries (9 if one concedes that Jacobs is not a feature back) doesn't help matters at all. The talent level is, frankly, inexcusable on offense. That's on the staff more than any individual player. I refuse to place blame on the person on the field who goes out and tries, even of they're sub par. The staff should be ashamed that we have utterly failed to field a legitimate 11 NFL starters. Even being generous to Moreau, Jacobs, and yes, Carr, that's still not an offense that inspires anything. 

I've said before that Carr, Renfrow, Miller, and Waller were the only guys who would start at their respective positions elsewhere, and Moreau maybe, but we hardly utilize 2 TE sets. The rest of the offense would literally be competing for spots, much less playing time. And that is the "team" this staff assembled after 4 seasons. 

I think you have unrealistic expectations for the level of talent teams are fielding on a weekly basis.   

Outside of a few dream teams (Rams, Bucs, etc.) most NFL franchises are dealing with similar personnel issues as us. For example, the WFT was missing Chase Young, Montez Sweat, and Landon Collins from their defense yesterday. 

O-Line talent is awful league wide, WR’s have went down at an alarming rate, Covid-19 has caused key players to sit out of key games. It’s unrealistic to expect that your team is going to be at full strength all year. 

The three biggest differentiators are coaching, execution, and QB play. We are failing on the first 2 levels and way too inconsistent on the 3rd. 

Edited by jpaulthe1st
  • Like 1

Just now, oakdb36 said:

I'm talking about inaccurate throws he made to open guys. Waller vs NYG, Helm last week, Edwards this week.

And, while it's very frustrating, what I said before is completely valid here as well. I'm not absolving Carr of blame b/c yes, those passes should be completed but this **** happens and no QB isn't not guilty of missing open targets and if you're getting pressured, it makes the job more difficult. 

6 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

We don't have a good offense at all.

The same team that put 500+ yards and 36 points on a good Dallas defense, turned around and did nothing against a poorly ranked defense. 

The offense has shown they can be good. But they also have shown they are completely inconsistent. Goes back to what I said in the game day thread. When Carr gets confidence early, he plays well. Come out flat and playing scared, it's a long day.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

The same team that put 500+ yards and 36 points on a good Dallas defense, turned around and did nothing against a poorly ranked defense. 

The offense has shown they can be good. But they also have shown they are completely inconsistent. Goes back to what I said in the game day thread. When Carr gets confidence early, he plays well. Come out flat and playing scared, it's a long day.

I really thought the FG drive at the end would have woke him up, he moved in the pocket well, took shots downfield and ran(?) i think. 
But then reverted right back to boring line of scrimmage passes after. 

I dont understand it. 
Honestly if I was Mark Davis, Id be making Carr speak to a sports psychiatrist 

3 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I don't think that throw to Edwards was a "miss." There was a defender in the throwing lane. Carr's worse throw was the quick out to Renfrow on a third and short--he threw it far too low. Otherwise, Carr was very accurate this game.

He was accurate because he wouldn't throw it over 10 yards down field most the game. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

I really thought the FG drive at the end would have woke him up, he moved in the pocket well, took shots downfield and ran(?) i think. 
But then reverted right back to boring line of scrimmage passes after. 

I dont understand it. 
Honestly if I was Mark Davis, Id be making Carr speak to a sports psychiatrist 

Davis should talk to a football team owner sports psychiatrist also.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Alot of those short throws early in the game in theory supposed to get Carr into rhythm I guess ? 

28 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

He was accurate because he wouldn't throw it over 10 yards down field most the game. 

How many passes were attempted beyond 10 yards? I remember a couple key drops and most other balls being fairly accurate but I'm not going to pretend I remember every single play that happened. I do know that Edwards dropped a very catchable pass and Zay dropped a ball that was pretty damn near perfect though....

3 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

How many passes were attempted beyond 10 yards? I remember a couple key drops and most other balls being fairly accurate but I'm not going to pretend I remember every single play that happened. I do know that Edwards dropped a very catchable pass and Zay dropped a ball that was pretty damn near perfect though....

Did the Edwards one which was reviewed I thought the defender got his hand in between Edwards hand and the ball last second ( could be wrong )

12 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

I think you have unrealistic expectations for the level of talent teams are fielding on a weekly basis.   

Outside of a few dream teams (Rams, Bucs, etc.) most NFL franchises are dealing with similar personnel issues as us. For example, the WFT was missing Chase Young, Montez Sweat, and Landon Collins from their defense yesterday. 

O-Line talent is awful league wide, WR’s have went down at an alarming rate, Covid-19 has caused key players to sit out of key games. It’s unrealistic to expect that your team is going to be at full strength all year. 

The three biggest differentiators are coaching, execution, and QB play. We are failing on the first 2 levels and way too inconsistent on the 3rd. 

Even at full strength, our personnel is primarily backup level. 

If we started every starter on offense, it would still rank as one of the worst in the league. 

But sure, we can keep pretending that Jackson, Jones, Edwards, Jacobs, Simpson, James, Leatherwhiff, and Parker would be starting anywhere else. Incognito playing in this hypothetical? Dude's a relic. Good? He's just ok. 

6 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

Did the Edwards one which was reviewed I thought the defender got his hand in between Edwards hand and the ball last second ( could be wrong )

You actually might be right. I took a second from work to go back through and watch a few things and that play did not come up. What did come up is a lot of pass plays beyond 10 yards though and Carr looked pretty damn good on most of them. Not sure what BP was talking about......

Regardless, still needed more from him. He is the offense so yeah, no denying that.

• Like 1