Head Coach Firing/Hiring/Interview Rumors

Broncofan

If one of the young offensive guys like Moore, Daboll or Leftwich can get Vic Fangio to come team up with them as the DC on their new team, that’d be a big win for them and the team. I’ve always been a fan of new coaches, bringing in a proven experienced coach to coordinate what isn’t their “specialty”.

And on that same note, I’m curious what the future holds for Mike Zimmer if he’s let go by the Vikings. Does he retire, hop along somewhere as a DC, take a year off, be a senior defensive assistant somewhere?

28 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Detroit, Chicago, Seattle, NYG are, to me, the strongest possibilities

I'll honestly be very surprised if Campbell is fired. Lions are bad but they really lack talent.

Also don't think Carroll gets fired but maybe he decides to resign.

Supposedly the Giants are planning to bring back Judge and Jones, which would be a big mistake if true, IMO.

• Like 3

Detroit is 1 of the least likely orgs to fire a HC.    It's not necessarily an endorsement for Campbell, but consider this:

1.  Pretty much every team gives 3 years for a HC.    The list of 2-year fires is really low.     The list of 1-year fires due to actual coaching ineptitude is Freddie Kitchens.    Urban Meyer might have been #2, but we all know his off-field issues accelerated the departure.

2. The guaranteed $ is 1 disincentive, but frankly, the other is the GM who hired the HC is seldom going to admit they screwed up THAT badly.   And to be fair, for a team that's in a rebuild, the results aren't going to be there year 1.   

3.  Finally, most owners are patient, but the Ford family is super patient.   The fact they gave Matt Patricia 3 years is a testament to Job-like patience.   The only coaches they gave less than 3 seasons (I count getting fired midway through year 3 as 3 seasons) are some guy in 1973 and Marty Morningwheig, who got 2 years. 

Add it all up, I don't even give a 1% chance Campbell goes this year.   Other than off-field incident risk, I don't think it's even 20% Campbell goes next year.   After 3 years, all bets are off.   But I think we're getting 3 years of the Dan Campbell experience (experiment?).

Edited by Broncofan

On 12/30/2021 at 11:36 PM, .Buzz said:

Think it ends up being Doug Pederson for JAX.

Got a feeling Nagy will be joining his staff whether he gets the gig here or elsewhere.

I hope Pederson goes to Jax so we don't lose our OC.  😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DawgX said:

I'll honestly be very surprised if Campbell is fired. Lions are bad but they really lack talent.

Also don't think Carroll gets fired but maybe he decides to resign.

Supposedly the Giants are planning to bring back Judge and Jones, which would be a big mistake if true, IMO.

It would be very disappointing if Campbell is fired.  As you said, DawgX, he has done a good job with a team that just needs more talent.

In NY, John Mara needs to step aside and let Kate and Rooney run the team.  It might not help football operations, but at least it would give us fans outside of NY something to get excited about!  :D

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

If Rich isn't brought back I'd guess that Doug Pederson, David Shaw, Jim Harbaugh, and Gus Bradley are the first 4 guys that they reach out too. Followed by some defensive coordinators with previous head coaching experience in Todd Bowles and Leslie Frazier.

Mayock is a Philly guy and used to do color commentating for the Eagles when Pederson was their coach and they reportedly have a good relationship. David Shaw was a regular on NFL Network's draft show alongside Mayock so they definitely have a relationship and Shaw obviously has Raiders ties. I can't find anything linking Mayock to Harbaugh but he was regularly at Michigan's pro days so I'm sure they know each other and Harbaugh has Raiders ties as well.

I think Doug Pederson is the most realistic candidate because of his relationship with Mayock and I think Mike would be able to sell Mark on hiring him because he has won a Super Bowl fairly recently. Jim Harbaugh would be a slam dunk hire but I'm not sure that he's interested in leaving his Alma Mater coming off their best season in two decades for another NFL job.

David Shaw is an interesting name to watch for us, imo. He and Mayock worked together for years during NFL networks draft coverage so there's already that connection. And beyond that Shaw was an assistant coach for us at the start of his career and was someone that had a good relationship with Al Davis, so I'm assuming that he and Mark know each other well too. One road block I've heard is that David Shaw's wife isn't thrilled about the idea of potentially living in Las Vegas. 

But I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Shaw jumps ship with Stanford to make the leap to the NFL. Stanford is 11-19 over the previous 3 seasons and they have an extremely tough path to become nationally relevant again. It was already difficult to recruit at Stanford due to their academic requirements and just got a whole lot harder with the new NIL deal in place.

I'm being perfectly honest here when I say that I don't know how much confidence I have that Mayock is anything more than just a passenger in the next HC hire.  Sure, his opinion will probably be taken into consideration, but if Mark wants a particular guy that Mayock isn't Mayock's preferred guy, Mike's going to get told to work with Mark's guy.  I knock the Raiders a lot, but - even despite him becoming something of a meme in his later years - I have the utmost respect for Al Davis; the man knew football and he knew himself and when to layoff to others who knew more/better than him in areas he wasn't as strong in.  I can't say the same about Mark and in fact I think Mark is so fixated on being his dad that he's allowed himself to ignore blindspots.

With regard to the Harbaugh thing, I have to wonder if Mark can even afford it.  Now, almost assuredly, it will end in settlement (which will likely be at least ~50% of what was guaranteed-but-yet-to-be-paid), but he's still got Gruden on the ledger.  Harbaugh signed a 5-year extension with Michigan in 2021 with an average base salary of ~$4.2M per year remaining (through 2025).  That would need to be bought out if he were to be brought on.  So we're talking in the ballpark of at least $20M to settle with Gruden plus another $16-17M to buy Harbaugh out of Michigan and that's before even talking about Harbaugh's NFL salary which is going to be expected to be at least comparable to his MIchigan salary (but his agent is also going to be looking at the sunk-cost the franchise just put out to acquire Harbs and see that as leverge to push for a salary closer to what this same franchise was comfortable only a year ago paying Gruden on a per-year basis and push for that figure), which will probably be safely around the $7-8M per year range.  Now, maybe they negotiate settlement payments with Gruden and not lump sum, but in the event of lump sum we're talking in the neighborhood of $45M ($20M of which is likely happening regardless) expended before player contracts (extensions, free agent signings, all stuff pertaining to the cap - for which there is also a minimum floor the CBA mandates be met) even come into conversation.  I don't think Mark's that wealthy.  The team itself is worth $3.5 billion, but Mark's individual net worth is only estimated to be around $700M, and that's not to speak of what or any outstanding debts he owes creditors and the monies earmarked for regular payments there-concerned.

• Like 1

Just now, Dr LBC said:

I'm being perfectly honest here when I say that I don't know how much confidence I have that Mayock is anything more than just a passenger in the next HC hire.  Sure, his opinion will probably be taken into consideration, but if Mark wants a particular guy that Mayock isn't Mayock's preferred guy, Mike's going to get told to work with Mark's guy.  I knock the Raiders a lot, but - even despite him becoming something of a meme in his later years - I have the utmost respect for Al Davis; the man knew football and he knew himself and when to layoff to others who knew more/better than him in areas he wasn't as strong in.  I can't say the same about Mark and in fact I think Mark is so fixated on being his dad that he's allowed himself to ignore blindspots.

With regard to the Harbaugh thing, I have to wonder if Mark can even afford it.  Now, almost assuredly, it will end in settlement (which will likely be at least ~50% of what was guaranteed-but-yet-to-be-paid), but he's still got Gruden on the ledger.  Harbaugh signed a 5-year extension with Michigan in 2021 with an average base salary of ~$4.2M per year remaining (through 2025).  That would need to be bought out if he were to be brought on.  So we're talking in the ballpark of at least $20M to settle with Gruden plus another $16-17M to buy Harbaugh out of Michigan and that's before even talking about Harbaugh's NFL salary which is going to be expected to be at least comparable to his MIchigan salary (but his agent is also going to be looking at the sunk-cost the franchise just put out to acquire Harbs and see that as leverge to push for a salary closer to what this same franchise was comfortable only a year ago paying Gruden on a per-year basis and push for that figure), which will probably be safely around the $7-8M per year range.  Now, maybe they negotiate settlement payments with Gruden and not lump sum, but in the event of lump sum we're talking in the neighborhood of $45M ($20M of which is likely happening regardless) expended before player contracts (extensions, free agent signings, all stuff pertaining to the cap - for which there is also a minimum floor the CBA mandates be met) even come into conversation.  I don't think Mark's that wealthy.  The team itself is worth $3.5 billion, but Mark's individual net worth is only estimated to be around $700M, and that's not to speak of what or any outstanding debts he owes creditors and the monies earmarked for regular payments there-concerned.

Mark Davis has been almost completely hands off with football operations other than hiring Jon Gruden, who he gave full control too. When Reggie McKenzie was our GM he had full control over everything including our coaching hire. 

Gruden's entire salary was voided when he was fired. I'm sure he can afford Harbaugh, he gave Gruden a $100M contract.

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

It would be very disappointing if Campbell is fired.  As you said, DawgX, he has done a good job with a team that just needs more talent.

Firing Campbell would be a huge mistake. 

They traded their franchise QB and lost their best WR to FA and lost their franchise RB to injury in what was already viewed as a rebuild season. 

Goff actually surprised me a bit. At WR, Reynolds and St Brown look like a solid pair. Swift and the other Reynolds looks like a good RB duo. Decker and Sewell on the OL are a great pair of bookends. Idk about their interior line enough to comment. 

They've got work on D, but that'll come. They've played well above their overall talent all year long. It was an ugly W/L season, but I believe Campbell has the right idea. 

5 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Firing Campbell would be a huge mistake. 

They traded their franchise QB and lost their best WR to FA and lost their franchise RB to injury in what was already viewed as a rebuild season. 

Goff actually surprised me a bit. At WR, Reynolds and St Brown look like a solid pair. Swift and the other Reynolds looks like a good RB duo. Decker and Sewell on the OL are a great pair of bookends. Idk about their interior line enough to comment. 

They've got work on D, but that'll come. They've played well above their overall talent all year long. It was an ugly W/L season, but I believe Campbell has the right idea. 

Dan Campbell is terrible.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 10:55 PM, .Buzz said:

I can’t tell if Tony Pauline is a guy worth trusting. 0-1 if so this cycle.

Always remember him for his college news drops as far as guys declaring, and now with this new PFN thing he’s putting out bold NFL tidbits like the one regarding Culley being one and done.

It will be interesting if that franchise tries to pretend nothing is wrong with its current approach. Justin Reid made an Instagram post today that seems to indicate he won't even consider returning. I don't see why any player would choose that team if they have other options. I looked at Easterby's twitter the other day for the first time. Its even more nauseating than I expected.